Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

05-01-2016, 07:20 AM   #1
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Decision time ACS vs MP what would you do?

I'm sat here weighing up what I should do.

A. Get the ACS RS set up on my M3 or

B. Get the MP carbon side splitters/lower splitter/rear diffuser/carbon mirrors etc...

Or C get the ACS springs only and get some of the above M performance trinkets.

When I drove the ACS M4 the handling blew me away, but I love the look of the MP stuff and the standard car isn't a shabby handler, but even that short test drive has been seared into my memory.
      05-01-2016, 07:59 AM   #2
Karlj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Fiat Multipla

In my books its always function before form, so if I were in your situation I'd be going for the RS setup. The MP parts are lovely no doubt, but you're not going to be able to appreciate them from the driver's seat on a twisty B road.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 08:44 AM   #3
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Why was the RS so good? I need to drive the CP car when ACS are up and running I guess.

I'd say go with this if you were blown away. Save maybe for a piece of the CG goodies too maybe.
      05-01-2016, 09:26 AM   #4
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarChris View Post
Why was the RS so good? I need to drive the CP car when ACS are up and running I guess.
Good question! I drove it when I had my M5 with ACS springs so the comparison might be a little off, but it was so planted and quick to turn in and scoot through a corner it was a revelation.

My stock M3 handles well but....I think I need to drive them both back to back.
      05-03-2016, 08:25 AM   #5
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

RS setup for me. Yes the M3 isn't bad in standard form. On my CP, comfort holds out longer than the standard M3 before feeling out of its depth. Problem is you then move to Sport and suddenly the car becomes challenged when facing bumps. You find you have to back off. The RS suspension just takes the car to another level when really pushing on - it just swallows up those bumps. The car just flows in a way the standard car never can. The best part is the more you throw at it, the better it gets.

Just waiting for ACS to sign it up for the CP and then will be going down that route.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 08:45 AM   #6
Ade_7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

For me I have to think that you need to be very honest to yourself about what you are going to use the car for.

It's scarily easy to read opinions about handling/power/tyre short comings from people who drive the car much harder or will use it much more for track days etc and convince yourself you must have mod x (insert hideously expensive Mtaxed item of your desire here).

I am planning a few track days already with mine but I don't think I will ever realistically be in the boat of "needing" full damper replacements. Ideally some spring to sort the stance and if they help the handling too then excellent, as long as they don't make it worse....
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 08:58 AM   #7
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade_7 View Post
For me I have to think that you need to be very honest to yourself about what you are going to use the car for.

It's scarily easy to read opinions about handling/power/tyre short comings from people who drive the car much harder or will use it much more for track days etc and convince yourself you must have mod x (insert hideously expensive Mtaxed item of your desire here).

I am planning a few track days already with mine but I don't think I will ever realistically be in the boat of "needing" full damper replacements. Ideally some spring to sort the stance and if they help the handling too then excellent, as long as they don't make it worse....
You're completely right. Speaking to Lorcan, many M3/4 owners drive the ACS demo and get totally different things out of it. Some love the looks, some love the noise, some love the power and some love the suspension.

I suppose you have to ask yourself, do you get frustrated by the damping on the car and if so, how often? Whilst I'll admit it probably makes up 10% of my overall time in the car, that 10% is the reason I bought an M3 in the first place (over a perfectly well sorted 335d on RS suspension funnily enough). So for me, it's a no brainer. I am very sure many owners would wonder what I've been smoking to think it's not already brilliant.

I know Damien drove the demo same day as me and for him, the extra power was the real draw.

Best thing to do is back to back test. Then sleep on it for a few days.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 09:40 AM   #8
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
You're completely right. Speaking to Lorcan, many M3/4 owners drive the ACS demo and get totally different things out of it. Some love the looks, some love the noise, some love the power and some love the suspension.

I suppose you have to ask yourself, do you get frustrated by the damping on the car and if so, how often? Whilst I'll admit it probably makes up 10% of my overall time in the car, that 10% is the reason I bought an M3 in the first place (over a perfectly well sorted 335d on RS suspension funnily enough). So for me, it's a no brainer. I am very sure many owners would wonder what I've been smoking to think it's not already brilliant.

I know Damien drove the demo same day as me and for him, the extra power was the real draw.

Best thing to do is back to back test. Then sleep on it for a few days.
you're spot on Guy. the additional power and mid-range torque is really what sold it to me. I did drive back to back. as a passenger in yours while Lorcan drove, them me in my car, then the ACS M4. the whole package with the m4 was superior, but I think the CP suspension set up wasn't as bad as perhaps you felt it was. I just missed that additional torque as soon as I got back in my car.

recently I have been trying to lose traction on a straight and unsettle the car giving it WOT, (yeah a little daft) just to see if it can take the additional power on standard suspension set up. and yes I reckon it will cope very nicely I don't intend to do traffic light races. but I am lazy and cant be arsed to change down when I want to overtake!

the RS kit and any sort of drop on the front for me is a no no, as it will be too much of a ball-ache where I live and near my work, getting over humps and bumps , driveways and ramps. now if it came with a height adjustable solution at the touch of a button, I'd do it in a flash
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 02:34 PM   #9
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade_7 View Post

Your first sentence is bang on Ade,
We all want different things from the cars, and it doesnt do just to throw a blanket over it, and complete mods just because others are doing them. I seem to be mellowing a bit these days, and im over the moon just to have a half hour blast, and feel the torque, the grip, the gearchange and generally just feel the force of my M4, thats why im old enough for another M5 now, oh, i just said that out loud didnt i ?, lol, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 02:36 AM   #10
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Your first sentence is bang on Ade,
We all want different things from the cars, and it doesnt do just to throw a blanket over it, and complete mods just because others are doing them. I seem to be mellowing a bit these days, and im over the moon just to have a half hour blast, and feel the torque, the grip, the gearchange and generally just feel the force of my M4, thats why im old enough for another M5 now, oh, i just said that out loud didnt i ?, lol, regards, SIMON.
Oh really.... You think you're responsible enough for another M5??!?

Current gen or wait for next gen?

Sorry, off topic Wills.... I'd go for CF goodies over suspension. But that's coming from my cp set up. Are you finding your non cp set up a pain in the ass with lack of traction, poor damping? If so I guess new dampers/ springs will make it a more enjoyable daily ride.
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #11
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post
Sorry, off topic Wills.... I'd go for CF goodies over suspension. But that's coming from my cp set up. Are you finding your non cp set up a pain in the ass with lack of traction, poor damping? If so I guess new dampers/ springs will make it a more enjoyable daily ride.
No Damo I find the damping and handling great, best handling car I've ever had TBH and having come from an M5 I have no traction issues compared to that as you know that car really struggles, but the M3 would look great on the RS suspension lovely drop better than the springs alone.
      05-04-2016, 04:05 PM   #12
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
No Damo I find the damping and handling great, best handling car I've ever had TBH and having come from an M5 I have no traction issues compared to that as you know that car really struggles, but the M3 would look great on the RS suspension lovely drop better than the springs alone.
Think I'm going to have to come ooop North and take a trip out with you to see just what differences are before I change from standard. I get the feeling we kinda drive the same....
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 04:05 PM   #13
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Think I'm going to have to come ooop North and take a trip out with you to see just what differences are before I change from standard. I get the feeling we kinda drive the same....
I get the feeling you drive better than me! Still not decided Guy on whether the RS kit is the way to go or just be happy with what I've got for once.
      05-05-2016, 04:11 PM   #14
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I get the feeling you drive better than me! Still not decided Guy on whether the RS kit is the way to go or just be happy with what I've got for once.
Doubt it - I run out of talent like anyone!! Rick over on Cutters has had his RS kit fitted today. You might want to pop over there in next few days as expect he'll put a write up on there.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2016, 08:09 PM   #15
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Quote:
If you wanted to see the drop of an M3 on ACS springs.. It's perfect imo

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 03:33 AM   #16
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post
If you wanted to see the drop of an M3 on ACS springs.. It's perfect imo

Thanks Colin,

Apart from the drop how do you find the springs, have they improved the handling etc..?