R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-30-2016, 05:35 PM   #1
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

Weird adaptive suspension issue. Experts chime in.

Hello guys...

I have a question for you that you will find odd, car in question is a 2016 F82 with Adaptive Suspension and 1,000 miles.

Thing is that the suspension is not consistent, I am very very sensitive to this things and the suspension in the same mode (comfort or sport) sometimes is much harsher than other times, independently of weather or tire pressure, specially when I use the car and then leave it sitting for 20-30 minutes, I return drive it and it feels very soft in a good way, just how I would want it and sometimes its very hard specially on the tarmac transitions the hole car rattles when passing them vs when the suspension decides to be soft it glides over them.... I know this is very weird but any ideas of this inconsistent behaviour?, btw this is tested on exactly the same roads, and no its not my imagination or a change of driving mode this has happened 20+ times enough for me to document it and my wife to notice it.

No fault codes on the car at all, checked with carly adapter.

For the bad streets that I drive I need all the comfort I can get and when sometimes the suspension wants to be soft its perfect for me... to bad the car decides when to do it but not me.

Thanks!
JC
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

I've actually said the same thing before. It's almost like half the times I switch it to comfort it actually doesn't soften up. Like you I drive the same road every day at the same time in the same type of traffic so I'm pretty confident it's not mental but impossible to prove. The difference between the three settings also seemed more dramatic to me during My euro delivery which I guess could be a number of things.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 06:18 PM   #3
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
I've actually said the same thing before. It's almost like half the times I switch it to comfort it actually doesn't soften up. Like you I drive the same road every day at the same time in the same type of traffic so I'm pretty confident it's not mental but impossible to prove. The difference between the three settings also seemed more dramatic to me during My euro delivery which I guess could be a number of things.
Exactly... I am hard pressed to tell the difference in sport vs comfort.

The thing is that when the suspension "softens up" it does it in sport and comfort... Its a joy to drive this way when the suspension starts absorbing everything very well and no float is present, and other times like I said its just harsh and crashes into small road imperfections.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 07:04 PM   #4
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerich0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
Exactly... I am hard pressed to tell the difference in sport vs comfort.

The thing is that when the suspension "softens up" it does it in sport and comfort... Its a joy to drive this way when the suspension starts absorbing everything very well and no float is present, and other times like I said its just harsh and crashes into small road imperfections.
I find quite a bit of float at times, even in sport+ mode. Just depends on the circumstances

Sometimes it feels pretty good, other times it feels very unsettled.

I'm not happy with mine at all. I'm swapping it out for Ohlin R/T in a few weeks.

I've said this before, the technology they use for their adaptive suspension is old technology now and magnetic shocks are the way to go these days for active suspensions.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #5
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I can't tell the difference between sports and comfort
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #6
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k
I can't tell the difference between sports and comfort
I can. Lots move vertical, unsettling movements, especially on the rebound stroke. Takes longer to settle.

I only drive in sport+ because of this.

Can't wait to get the Ohlins on
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 08:07 PM   #7
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

I feel like the car floats with the adaptive suspension....people with passive, is your car stiff as a rock. Shoulda not payed for adaptive?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 08:10 PM   #8
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
I feel like the car floats with the adaptive suspension....people with passive, is your car stiff as a rock. Shoulda not payed for adaptive?
I have passive and am happy with it. It is firm, but not uncomfortable except over very rough surfaces.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 08:11 PM   #9
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

I mean coming from my celica where my suspension is shot. The m3 feel like its gliding. I havent fiddled with sport+ yet so maybe that elimnates the sway
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 08:40 PM   #10
wakdady
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i3

i just completed my first 1000 miles. almost all of which i've driven all the twisty roads both North and South of San Francisco, at a good clip too.
I can feel the difference between all the modes quite well. the change is instantaneous. on some goaty roads it's nice to be able to soften it up.

i'd try and find a similar car to yours to drive, just because there aren't stored faults doesn't mean it's okay.
Appreciate 0