BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

04-30-2016, 12:58 AM   #1
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Frozen E92

Hello Guys,

I am new to the forum but have been reading through various forums for quite some time as I've been looking for an E92 for the past year. My local BMW dealer just informed me today that they got a late 2013 E92 Coupe. Based on what they told me over the phone this particular M3 meets all my search criteria:
- Low mileage, about 24000km.
- Clean title, mo accident or previous damage.
- Certified pre-owned with full warranty till late 2019.
- Frozen (White) Edition with all options.

I was able to negotiate a very attractive price on the car but the only thing that is holding me back on pulling the trigger is the frozen white finish.

Do any of you with a frozen edition M3 or BMW use your car as a daily driver? How well does the paint hold up, especially during the rainy season? I don't get snow where I live but it does rain A LOT!.

Also I've been reading up on how to care for the frozen and it appears that it doesn't take any much more work than regular paint. Just a wash every week or two, and clean bugs/bird dropping as soon as possible within reason. (I do have a garage at home and at work, so bird dropping isn't much of a concern.) However it seems like there are a few products out there such as Chemical guy, nanolex, and Dr.Beasly, but which one do frozen edition owners here recommend? I don't think any local stores around where I live sell them, so if I do pull the trigger on this car I would like to order the cleaning products online soon so I'll have it on hand and ready just in case.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 08:33 AM   #2
RickP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/DCT

I have a Frozen Gray M3 and I will say that it's much easier to maintain. I don't have to wax it anymore - just hand wash it. I use

Chemical Guys SPI_995_16 Meticulous Matte Detailer
And
Chemical Guys CWS995 Meticulous Matte Auto Wash for Satin Finish and Matte Finish Paint - 1 gal.

If you must use a car wash facility, avoid any car wash that is not touchless. Those circular motion scrub things could be similar to buffing your paint - which you don't want. I ask for the hand wash which costs a little extra but worth it.

Overall, I'm happy with the frozen gray. It's been much easier to maintain than a traditional clear coat paint. It hides dust very well and I spend less time waxing b/c I don't. I've been able to get touch up paint for my car and have been able to cover a few scratches.

Good luck!

Last edited by RickP; 04-30-2016 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 09:09 AM   #3
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP DCT

Ditto the above post here. My frozen silver is very easy to maintain. I did install paint protection film from the front bumper to the front doors on my coupe including the fenders, rocker panels, and part of the rear bumper. Dust is well hidden with the matte paint. Not sure if it would be the same for frozen white but that is a sweet color. I use the Dr. Beasleys products purchased online to wash and also use their matte paint sealant every few months. I've always hand washed my own car. If somebody else does it I think you would want to make sure they are using the right product without any added gloss/wax. This paint being difficult to maintain is a myth. The one exception is major damage could be hard to match with paint correction so be careful where you park. You would probably do that anyways even with a glossy paint.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 03:27 PM   #4
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Thanks guys,

If you guy daily drive your car, how often did you find you need or should wash the car? Also one more question is it true that you need to wash your car after driving it through the rain? Because where I live, (Vancouver), it rains pretty much from October to about February with only a few days of sun here and there in between. So if the frozen finish needs to be washed after a rain fall then I think I will have to walk away from this car.

Thanks alot,
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 03:56 PM   #5
RickP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp/DCT

The paint has a coat above it - it's just matte. I don't DD my car but I would say once a week wash should be fine. Here's a good video if you haven't seen it already
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #6
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Thank you for the video! I have seen it but it is very informative.

I am still torn on the making the decision on the frozen white m3 I saw at the dealer. The paint finish aside, the car itself is very good condition and it is backed a the extended warranty to mid 2019. I can get the car as a weekend car but personally that defeats the purpose of a car. Also I do have an underground parking spot at work, so the car won't be sitting outside during the day. I am concerned about is the winter season and when I take the car on road trips during the summer where I might not be able to wash off bugs or bird droppings in the middle of no where.

Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I gathered in the past few days of online searching, frozen paint can be easy to maintain with the right products and techniques but it can be a pain to maintain if the car is used as a daily driver?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #7
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP DCT

I daily drive my car and wash every 2 weeks in Southern California. The rare times it rains it has not been an issue to wash a few weeks later with the understanding that I keep a pain sealant on. I keep a detail spray and towel in the trunk for bug splats and doo doo.
Appreciate 0