BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #1
ezndo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93

1 more reason NJ suks

Maybe a little harsh as I'm a lifelong NJ resident but....bought condo in FL, changed residency to FL for tax purposes duh! but still have house in NJ with vehicles registered to my now expired NJ DL..... been pulled over 3x in NJ for expired NJ license and when I show current FL DL it's "have a nice day"..... So without going thru NJ DMV hell what can I do to stop this "profiling" lol
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #2
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I'm not the brightest person on earth so help me out here
You have expired plates or DL? Why are they pulling you over? They can't see your license while driving so they must be pulling you over for something

If your plate is expired, the "fix" would be to get your plates registered in either FL or NJ. What am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 02:09 PM   #3
ajee622
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw e93 m3

Register the cars in Florida??
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
Jonzny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

How are they supposed to know that you now have FL residency? They scan your plates it comes up as expired and they pull you over...literally what they are supposed to be doing
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #5
obe100
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: on the weekends…

Agree Jersey sucks (no offense to forum members), but you seem to be at fault....not the sucky cops THIS TIME. LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 02:41 PM   #6
R3dliner
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 6MT

They call it dirty jerzey for a reason LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:32 PM   #7
ezndo
Private First Class
Rep

So here's the deal.... driving 10AM weekday... Come to red light where cop is sitting blocking traffic so I have to pull around him to get to intersection....waiting for light to turn green and apparently he runs my NJ plate which is tied to my now expired NJ license and he pulls me over....so not doing anything wrong....money grab plain and simple....why doesn't FL DMV communicate with NJ DMV to say this license transferred to FL? Registering NJ cars to FL is not easy if not impossible since NJ cars in question will never see FL
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:50 PM   #8
rmcard
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 (AW/ZCP)

I think I can maybe decipher this. You have homes in NJ and Florida and a car (or cars) in each. You have a Florida drivers license and formerly had a NJ drivers' license (now expired). You get pulled over in NJ because your plates code to an expired NJ DL, even though you have a valid DL in Florida. Do I have this right?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:52 PM   #9
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezndo View Post
So here's the deal.... driving 10AM weekday... Come to red light where cop is sitting blocking traffic so I have to pull around him to get to intersection....waiting for light to turn green and apparently he runs my NJ plate which is tied to my now expired NJ license and he pulls me over....so not doing anything wrong....money grab plain and simple....why doesn't FL DMV communicate with NJ DMV to say this license transferred to FL? Registering NJ cars to FL is not easy if not impossible since NJ cars in question will never see FL
Because you can't register cars in a state without a license. And you can't register a car if you're not licensed in that state. I'm guessing you won't be able to renew it once it expires so the tags are fine for the time being they can't ticket you on that. Otherwise don't you think people like myself would avoid the crazy MA rules and just register the car in a state I don't have a license in? Property ownership means nothing as far as DMV if you want to avoid the tickets get a NJ license or register in FL and leave them in NJ.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 04:08 PM   #10
ezndo
Private First Class
Rep

zactly!

QUOTE=rmcard;19842259]I think I can maybe decipher this. You have homes in NJ and Florida and a car (or cars) in each. You have a Florida drivers license and formerly had a NJ drivers' license (now expired). You get pulled over in NJ because your plates code to an expired NJ DL, even though you have a valid DL in Florida. Do I have this right?[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 04:25 PM   #11
BGBF18
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezndo
The only fix is to register your cars in FL. You will have to show proof of FL insurance, which may or may not result in lower rates. There isn't a vehicular inspection or smog check in FL so registration is just a paper drill that could easily be accomplished the next time you're in FL.
Otherwise, you will continue to be harassed.
      04-28-2016, 04:33 PM   #12
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBF18 View Post
The only fix is to register your cars in FL. You will have to show proof of FL insurance, which may or may not result in lower rates. There isn't a vehicular inspection or smog check in FL so registration is just a paper drill that could easily be accomplished the next time you're in FL.
Otherwise, you will continue to be harassed.
Plus you can go catless or HFC and not need to worry
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 04:39 PM   #13
AlexPS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2011 X6 3.5

Tell NJ DMV that you moved and now you're a FL DL holder. I don't think there is a way around it. Or, maybe AAA can help.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 06:06 PM   #14
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezndo View Post
zactly!

QUOTE=rmcard;19842259]I think I can maybe decipher this. You have homes in NJ and Florida and a car (or cars) in each. You have a Florida drivers license and formerly had a NJ drivers' license (now expired). You get pulled over in NJ because your plates code to an expired NJ DL, even though you have a valid DL in Florida. Do I have this right?
[/QUOTE]

OK...now I'm confused! The guy has a FL drivers license but originally was driving in NJ, but sold his house after he got a new license but before he got stopped for expired plates in another state before he could get new plates after he got the new car, just before he traded in his old license because he was going to move and didn't want the old car to have old plates...Do I have that right?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #15
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskiing View Post

OK...now I'm confused! The guy has a FL drivers license but originally was driving in NJ, but sold his house after he got a new license but before he got stopped for expired plates in another state before he could get new plates after he got the new car, just before he traded in his old license because he was going to move and didn't want the old car to have old plates...Do I have that right?
No...
The guy has a NJ drivers license but originally was driving in FL, but sold his house before he got a new license but after he got stopped for expired plates in his state after he could get new plates but before he got the old car, just before but barely after he traded in his old house because he was going to move and didn't want the old car to have new plates... or wait... do I have that right?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #16
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezndo
Maybe a little harsh as I'm a lifelong NJ resident but....bought condo in FL, changed residency to FL for tax purposes duh! but still have house in NJ with vehicles registered to my now expired NJ DL..... been pulled over 3x in NJ for expired NJ license and when I show current FL DL it's "have a nice day"..... So without going thru NJ DMV hell what can I do to stop this "profiling" lol
What part of Florida?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 06:58 PM   #17
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Register the car in Florida....

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 06:58 PM   #18
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
No...
The guy has a NJ drivers license but originally was driving in FL, but sold his house before he got a new license but after he got stopped for expired plates in his state after he could get new plates but before he got the old car, just before but barely after he traded in his old house because he was going to move and didn't want the old car to have new plates... or wait... do I have that right?
Follow along cuz it's not that difficult
The was living in FL while he was residing in NJ. He leased a car in FL and returned it in NJ. While traveling from NJ to FL which is where was living he decided to move to NJ while residing in FL. He bought a condo in FL and returned his leased home in NJ. The NJ cops tracked him down in FL but he wasn't home he was in NJ. The FL cops went to NJ and found him driving a NJ car with FL plates with NJ inspections stickers. He was cited for no front plate which was a NJ plate but the back plate was clean since it was a FL plate. His license was from FL but the pic was taken in NJ so was invalid. He decided to sell his cars which were inside the NJ home and sold his NJ license to and underage kid. He now resides in NJ but with a FL straw hat white shoes and linens disguise and spray tan but he lives in FL with a blowout haircut a tank top and yes fahgetaboutit to the cops in FL
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #19
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
Follow along cuz it's not that difficult
The was living in FL while he was residing in NJ. He leased a car in FL and returned it in NJ. While traveling from NJ to FL which is where was living he decided to move to NJ while residing in FL. He bought a condo in FL and returned his leased home in NJ. The NJ cops tracked him down in FL but he wasn't home he was in NJ. The FL cops went to NJ and found him driving a NJ car with FL plates with NJ inspections stickers. He was cited for no front plate which was a NJ plate but the back plate was clean since it was a FL plate. His license was from FL but the pic was taken in NJ so was invalid. He decided to sell his cars which were inside the NJ home and sold his NJ license to and underage kid. He now resides in NJ but with a FL straw hat white shoes and linens disguise and spray tan but he lives in FL with a blowout haircut a tank top and yes fahgetaboutit to the cops in FL
You have a magical way of telling the story so that us simpletons can understand. Now it's all clear to me. OP should have just said it like you did from the beginning.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 08:16 PM   #20
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
You have a magical way of telling the story so that us simpletons can understand. Now it's all clear to me. OP should have just said it like you did from the beginning.
Well I consider myself a bit of a wordsmith
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #21
jdamore
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

I think OP needs a boat ride with the good old cement shoes.

I WISH I could register my cars in Florida
      04-28-2016, 09:28 PM   #22
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

What the hell is going on in this thread...?

I live in NY and bought my car in FL. I would LOVE to live in FL because:

1. No front plate
2. No tags on windshield
3. No inspection
4. No snow and salt

God...I gotta get the f out of NY.
Appreciate 0