BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-26-2016, 04:32 AM   #1
Elshrimp
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 125i

Hunting for a 135i

I've decided i'm going to get the 135i and only drive it on weekends as i am in Australia and have another 18 months to wait before i am legally allowed to drive it.

So got a couple questions in regards to purchasing the right one. Now of course like most i have a specific colour i would like and interior as well, which is going to make finding the right one hard. But it's the features i am most interested about.

The onboard computer/SatNav. Is it a necessity to have that installed or is it simply a feature that would be a bonus? Would like to hear some opinions on it of course. How useful is it?

Now because i am buying second hand, what should i be looking out for? I have read a few times about certain parts that break after a certain time but do get repaired. What sort of questions should i be asking the seller about these parts and if they have had them serviced/repaired?

Lastly, if anyone is selling their 135i feel free to link it to me, would rather buy from someone on here as i know a lot of you are enthusiasts and would have taken the upmost pride in their car!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 06:07 AM   #2
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

If you've got 18 months to wait to legally drive it, buy it in 18 months and you'll get a newer/lower km one for the same price or the same car for cheaper.

I'm assuming that when you say only drive on weekends, that you do have a licence to drive and just that you're in a state with vehicle restrictions (there are ways around that).

Why not work your way up to a 135i so you can truly appreciate it after owning an average car for a while? It really does make you appreciate a good thing SO much more.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 06:55 AM   #3
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

I'm almost certain the police are working on weekends here.
Isn't it the same in Queensland?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 08:03 AM   #4
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AT Monaco Blue

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
If your State legislation says you're not supposed to be driving the car for another 18 months then it says so for a reason. Use the next 18 months to gain more experience and become a better, safer driver for those around you. The patience will also make it that much more rewarding.

As an aside, be aware that your insurer may refuse coverage if you have an accident during those 18 months.

We're more than happy to help you in your search but do it the right way at the right time.
      04-27-2016, 05:13 AM   #5
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

There is nothing wrong with a 125i. Although personally I would only buy one with a manual transmission. Lower maintenance costs and better reliability are obvious plusses.

Naturally aspirated BMW engines feel really nice through the revs with a manual. Compared to the N55, the naturally aspirated engine is smoother and more linear as it reaches high rpm.

Don't intentionally go looking for a car with BMW iDrive & Satnav. I think the iDrive and satnav on the early E82 and E90 BMW is poor. I'd prefer a car without it.
Appreciate 0