ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

04-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #1
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

found a cheap and good microfiber wheel brush

So poking around Home Depot I stumbled upon this guy below. It's $5 and was worth a shot. I just finished washing and gave it a go and I am impressed. The microfiber is soft and it's long enough to reach all the way into the barrel of the stock 19". Plus the pad can be pulled off for washing. It's pretty sturdy and wont bend and break right off the bat. Also thin enough to clean in between the blades and around the edges. I'd recommend this over the $40 wheel woolies any day. Just IMO.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Micro...3-20/204326091
Appreciate 5
      04-24-2016, 01:01 PM   #2
M4toM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Nice find!!! Where in Home depot did you find it, I must have one.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 01:21 PM   #3
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenM4
by the cleaning supplies like Lysol and all the mops. This thing works pretty well
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 02:38 PM   #4
M4toM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
by the cleaning supplies like Lysol and all the mops. This thing works pretty well
muchas gracias
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #5
johnerod75
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Manual

Nice find! I'll be stopping in home depot tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 12:13 PM   #6
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Good find OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenM4 View Post
The thing I love about home depots website (and wish every store did this) is once you set your store, they will tell you if the item is in stock and the exact location on the site. See below in the blue boxes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #7
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

I'm all for re-purposing things, but IMO, the wheel woolies are still worth it. I've tried this kind of microfiber for wheels, and the problem is that the brake dust and wheel crud just doesn't wash off the 'brush' (or duster, in this case). So this thing becomes a disposable item after one use. Depending on how much you wash your wheels, it will get a lot more expensive than wheel woolies over time.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #8
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
I'm all for re-purposing things, but IMO, the wheel woolies are still worth it. I've tried this kind of microfiber for wheels, and the problem is that the brake dust and wheel crud just doesn't wash off the 'brush' (or duster, in this case). So this thing becomes a disposable item after one use. Depending on how much you wash your wheels, it will get a lot more expensive than wheel woolies over time.
not sure how you're washing your microfiber but mine come out spotless every time and I wash my wheels weekly
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2016, 11:40 AM   #9
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
not sure how you're washing your microfiber but mine come out spotless every time and I wash my wheels weekly
I use micro-restore or All. I've never been able to get brake dust and really dirty MF clean. When it gets to that point, I have to throw it away. How do you wash it so it comes out so clean??
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 01:00 PM   #10
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
I use micro-restore or All. I've never been able to get brake dust and really dirty MF clean. When it gets to that point, I have to throw it away. How do you wash it so it comes out so clean??
That's why I buy black MF towels strictly for the wheels. They look exactly the same today as when I first used them.

But I have learned something here. I never even knew my ceiling fans had brakes.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 12:16 AM   #11
ecf34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80

Is it crucial to clean the inside of the wheel barrel while washing your wheels? I've always just cleaned the outer surface and spokes, but my detailer told me I should clean the inside as well or else bad things will happen.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #12
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecf34 View Post
Is it crucial to clean the inside of the wheel barrel while washing your wheels? I've always just cleaned the outer surface and spokes, but my detailer told me I should clean the inside as well or else bad things will happen.
Before I got this thing I didnt clean them all the way back... more like half way. I'm not sure what bad things could happen other than build up and possible tarnish to the finish of the wheel. That's about it but a pressure washer would be able to get the caked on buildup off.

I spray a little of the wheel cleaner on the towel before I throw it into the wash and they come out clean.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2016, 01:10 AM   #13
Gumby_F80
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

so much yes! thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 01:46 AM   #14
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

I had one similar and also thought it would be useful for cleaning wheels. The insert that keeps the microfiber duster cover rigid will wear down at the seam on the leading edge of the microfiber and tear through it. Then you have the potential of having that rigid part scratching the rim. The part that keeps it rigid is bendable steel and is sharp. So it will also eventually rust from the inside out so you'll basically be pushing rust through the microfiber.

The wheel woolies are still a better product.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 08:21 AM   #15
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby_F80 View Post
so much yes! thank you
save yourself $40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch View Post
I had one similar and also thought it would be useful for cleaning wheels. The insert that keeps the microfiber duster cover rigid will wear down at the seam on the leading edge of the microfiber and tear through it. Then you have the potential of having that rigid part scratching the rim. The part that keeps it rigid is bendable steel and is sharp. So it will also eventually rust from the inside out so you'll basically be pushing rust through the microfiber.

The wheel woolies are still a better product.
The insert on this is rigid abs plastic wrapped in neoprene and unfortunately does not bend.

I've used these with sonax or adam's wheel cleaner every Saturday and it shows no sign of wear.
Appreciate 0