Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

04-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #1
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

M3 CP explained as best I can video....

Have had lots of questions on DM's etc.. so here we go. I'm no Youtuber but I hope this helps. Sorry if I ramble.

San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 19
      04-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #2
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW Golf GTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Have had lots of questions on DM's etc.. so here we go. I'm no Youtuber but I hope this helps. Sorry if I ramble.

26 minutes!!! Gonna have to wait for Masterchef I'm afarid, but looking forward to it.
      04-22-2016, 03:27 PM   #3
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Amazing stuff, many thanks Guy! Brilliant insight there cheers. Some little things I'd still not thought of as a BMW connoisseur. The seat heating for example, hadn't considered that one.

Great news on the ride and exhaust though, really all I wanted to hear.

Suggest a front page vote! Great first effort Guy.
      04-22-2016, 03:28 PM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwojcik
Quote:

26 minutes!!! Gonna have to wait for Masterchef I'm afarid, but looking forward to it.
Bit harsh.......?
      04-22-2016, 03:29 PM   #5
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarChris
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwojcik
Quote:

But harsh.......?
I'd watch Masterchef as well. :-)
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #6
bewareofspoilers
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Good stuff. Should post it on the general pic&vid forum, too

Last edited by bewareofspoilers; 04-22-2016 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 04:09 PM   #7
Karlj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Fiat Multipla

Superb video, definitely not too long given the subject matter.

What I find amazing though is most of the 'professional' motor journalists take on the F8X CP feel like a regurgitation of the official blurb on the car, compared to yours which actually provided a tangible insight into what the CP really has to offer over a standard M4/M3. Maybe it just takes, as Chris put it, a 'BMW connoisseur' to talk about what we want to hear.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 04:27 PM   #8
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Quote:

Guy that's fantastic , you will be taking over from Nick Murray excellent overview and good video content better than any reviews by the pro's, thanks

First point in efficient mode seemed quiet and tyre noise ok compared to our F31 330d m sport on 19" RFT's? Would you say about same road noise as your last car?

Next the grip levels seemed excellent for the conditions you describe, although you do see you moving a fair bit in the seat on some parts of the road, you could tell the car was not cutting the power and putting it down well IMHO

Noise with the F56 JCW to bang and pop engine needs to be in sport engine pretty warmed up and quick blips or bursts and throttle right off, but we have manual with rev match, still sounded great to me in cabin with standard mic?

All in all excellent overview and got me thinking do I really need an MPE? We will hear how you get on with Henry meet up

All in all thanks very much for taking the time to do this very useful and get up on front page it will be very well received.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 04:28 PM   #9
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Fantastic Guy,
Really enjoyed that.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 04:56 PM   #10
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep

WOW

A standing ovation

I'm always a bit dubious about these utube videos but it was a very, very good watch. Your not TV presenter are you, if not, you should be.

Do the doors lock after you get over a particular speed. I noticed your button was still protruding up.

Now the negatives... Well, from me it's just the one. It makes me want to get one even more now which will not help tomorrow when I an at the dealers. I'm trying not to get too excited about the M3, this has not helped one bit.

But thanks for posting this up

04-22-2016, 04:57 PM   #11
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Will try and answer as we go....

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
Guy that's fantastic , you will be taking over from Nick Murray excellent overview and good video content better than any reviews by the pro's, thanks

Not sure about that :-)

First point in efficient mode seemed quiet and tyre noise ok compared to our F31 330d m sport on 19" RFT's? Would you say about same road noise as your last car?

I really don't think there is any more noise. Yes you can detect that the rear of the car is bolted to the chassis in the way no normal F30 is but it's fine. I can still be an old fart and listen to Ken Bruce on the mway without hindrance :-)

Next the grip levels seemed excellent for the conditions you describe, although you do see you moving a fair bit in the seat on some parts of the road, you could tell the car was not cutting the power and putting it down well IMHO

I was astonished. It's the first time I'd seen rain when I left Chandlers but I was still gobsmacked how much grip the car found. I had the wipers on the whole way through that - it really was damp!!

Noise with the F56 JCW to bang and pop engine needs to be in sport engine pretty warmed up and quick blips or bursts and throttle right off, but we have manual with rev match, still sounded great to me in cabin with standard mic?

The noise is great in the CP. I've driven the F56 JCW and it doesn't pop and bang quite to that volume at speed but it's still amusing and audible in 1st and 2nd. Will capture that next week when do a video on my car and the ACS M4.

All in all excellent overview and got me thinking do I really need an MPE? We will hear how you get on with Henry meet up

Henry and I are going to organise meeting up and I'll take a proper camera (rather than what I had today) to record differences. In fact, I'll get an action cam on the rear bumper when I get a mo and put it up.

All in all thanks very much for taking the time to do this very useful and get up on front page it will be very well received.
I did it for you guys. Not keen on everyone seeing it. If you want to know/see/hear anything else, let me know.
Appreciate 3
      04-22-2016, 04:59 PM   #12
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'd watch Masterchef as well. :-)
TBH - SWMBO wanted to watch it so had to wait until I could cast it onto our big screen, it was worth the wait. I meant no offence.
      04-22-2016, 05:13 PM   #13
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Hey Guy, thats a really good video, thanks for doing that.

With regards any tyre noise, I must say I didnt really notice anything out of the ordinary or intusive when I went in your car. No problems at all!!!

Couple of questions......

Do you think the wider tyres are helping the traction over the standard M3?

When you say about either putting it in Efficient or Sport+ for the throttle, what does Sport+ give you other than a more sensitive throttle? As you know on the F30 it turns the TC off, is this the same on the M3?

You talk about MDM assuming we all know about it!!! haha
Can you explain a bit more about MDM to us less informed folks and why you'd want to leave it on a lot? What does it give you? I assume more slip of the rear axle? If so, I guess us xdrive newbie types shouldnt be turning MDM on just yet?!!

Thanks Guy.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 05:18 PM   #14
zooberoo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C HS

Very interesting video and nicely produced. Thanks for posting!

What tyres was it supplied with?
      04-22-2016, 05:23 PM   #15
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Can you explain a bit more about MDM to us less informed folks and why you'd want to leave it on a lot? What does it give you? I assume more slip of the rear axle? If so, I guess us xdrive newbie types shouldnt be turning MDM on just yet?!!
Good someone mentioned it, I'm in the same camp. You can come out now.

Also, any one know where I can get my hands on an owners manual?
      04-22-2016, 05:29 PM   #16
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Hey Guy, thats a really good video, thanks for doing that.

With regards any tyre noise, I must say I didnt really notice anything out of the ordinary or intusive when I went in your car. No problems at all!!!

Couple of questions......

Do you think the wider tyres are helping the traction over the standard M3?

Physics says they will definitely help by their wide nature but it's more about making better use of them staying on the tarmac and there's no question the CP does this. Then you've got the issue of them starting to lose traction and that is where the new setup comes in as it is SO much better at dealing with loss of traction. Think about it - at what point did you feel the system dramatically back off when we were going out of the village?

When you say about either putting it in Efficient or Sport+ for the throttle, what does Sport+ give you other than a more sensitive throttle? As you know on the F30 it turns the TC off, is this the same on the M3?

Totally different with M3. Even thing is independant. Putting throttle in any mode will have no effect on TC. that's why I love M's.

Okay so you have to understand that I have only used MDM for a day on my car and certainly when I used it on a demo car I borrowed it was VERY different. MDM in its new guise is good and bad. It's good in that it's a great step on from traction on in giving you the chance to use that wonderful M diff to its ability (if you have DSC on you never quite get to that point). You finally start to realise just how much grip that diff can give you.

Now in ye olden days, it would give you a certain slip angle. Same as non M cars. Indeed Dan's M235i will give you a reasonable slip angle in Sport +. You can with work get the back out in the dry.

What disappoints me in this M is that MDM doesn't do that (doesn't do it in the damp either). This is a shame. Clearly BMW have got cold feet and decided they needed to tone down MDM for us which is so sad. So the only way to get the back out is to turn everything off. I'd love for MDM to allow this and still be there for any oops....

So now the only way I shall get the back out is to turn everything off. Best be on my toes.....
Thanks Guy.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2016, 05:30 PM   #17
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwojcik View Post

Yeah, I seen one online the other day, but probably US, I'll have another look...........

Here we go......... http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=952797

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 05:31 PM   #18
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwojcik View Post
Good someone mentioned it, I'm in the same camp. You can come out now.

Seriously ask what you don't understand and I'll explain. Will do doing next vid when up to AC Schnitzer next week.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 05:32 PM   #19
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooberoo View Post
Very interesting video and nicely produced. Thanks for posting!

What tyres was it supplied with?
Michelin Pilot Super Sports - all CP's are.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 05:35 PM   #20
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Thanks Guy.
Okay, perhaps I do another vid next week to explain this? MDM is M Dynamic Mode which is the next level of traction control between all or nothing.

Last edited by gtsussex; 04-23-2016 at 12:37 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #21
zooberoo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C HS

Quote:
Michelin Pilot Super Sports - all CP's are.
I wonder how much difference the MPSSs offer over the Contis now supplied with the non-CP cars.
      04-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #22
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Okay so you have to understand that I have only used MDM for a day on my car and certainly when I used it on a demo car I borrowed it was VERY different. MDM in its new guise is good and bad. It's good in that it's a great step on from traction on in giving you the chance to use that wonderful M diff to its ability (if you have DSC on you never quite get to that point). You finally start to realise just how much grip that diff can give you.

Now in ye olden days, it would give you a certain slip angle. Same as non M cars. Indeed Dan's M235i will give you a reasonable slip angle in Sport +. You can with work get the back out in the dry.

What disappoints me in this M is that MDM doesn't do that (doesn't do it in the damp either). This is a shame. Clearly BMW have got cold feet and decided they needed to tone down MDM for us which is so sad. So the only way to get the back out is to turn everything off. I'd love for MDM to allow this and still be there for any oops....

So now the only way I shall get the back out is to turn everything off. Best be on my toes.....
Thanks Guy.
Cheers Guy.

Next question , if you remember with the 335d you got hold of a VBOX for the fun of it to get some times, have you have any inclination of trying that with the M3? Only for fun of course and we don't want to get too hung up on figures.
But I hear the 0-100mph is around 8.5sec which is a HELL of a lot quicker than you got in the 335d, which I remember to be around 11.5-11.8secs IIRC!!!!!!!!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0