Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

04-11-2016, 03:31 PM   #1
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

OEM MPerf Front Splitter....how low?

For those that have it on the F80, how low is this please, big concern over speed bumps and in multi storey NCPs etc? Mine is to be a DD workhorse too.

I think I know the answer..it's pretty low right!? Current 335D is not lowered so on higher springs and get away with everything really.
      04-11-2016, 04:03 PM   #2
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Not an F80 yet but:

Not putting one on the new car. Can't be arsed with the worrying about it every time I drive somewhere.

I have not had any issue with speed bumps but caught it the day after I had it fitted on the slope from car park, only very slight. But not been a issue since.

Mines got the ACS springs on as well so a bit lower.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #3
Ragged Edge
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16F80,TR6,Defender,PA23-250T

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have an F80 with the OEM splitter. Also a DD.
I do have to be careful on dramatic changes in approach angle, such as a steep driveway and some extra large speed bumps, but otherwise very little concern. I will take these obstacles slowly, and if I can, at an angle, which totally eliminates the problem. If I don't, the occasional scrape occurs, however the splitter is firmly attached and is made of a plastic that is quite resistant to scratches. Nothing visible, and I can only just feel them as I run my hand under the splitter. No concern for me, even on the occasional 'hard' scrape into a bump (that sounds awful) will have no effect on the splitter except for a scratch on the splitter that isn't visible. There appears to be rounded, 1cm nubs on the underside of the splitter that take the brunt of the scratches.
Very well designed for daily use.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 04:22 PM   #4
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

I found splitter on normal suspension on 335d was absolutely fine. With RS fitted you had to think about things. Have one being fitted from delivery on M3 and no doubt I'll end up with RS again. Just have to think about ramps and speed bumps but otherwise was never a chore.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2016, 02:30 AM   #5
workpermit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Competition Pack

On standard ride height, I've not had any issues. I really thought I'd be catching speed humps and having problems getting on and off my drive, but it's not been a problem at all.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2016, 02:45 AM   #6
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Thanks all.....although you might just have cost me a bit

There are 2 versions on the M car is that right, black unfinished ABS and CF, exactly the same design just differing finishes?
      04-12-2016, 02:54 AM   #7
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarChris View Post
Thanks all.....although you might just have cost me a bit

There are 2 versions on the M car is that right, black unfinished ABS and CF, exactly the same design just differing finishes?
And a whole HEAP difference in price. I've gone for standard matt ABS as it's sacrificial and I'm not hugely bothered. Just couldn't have the CF on as I'd just cry if I scraped it. If you looked at the underside of my splitter, it was absolutely trashed to pieces with scratches etc... but ABS just takes it and great thing is there's some flexibility - it bends. Couldn't see anything unless you were underneath it though.

Quite a few people have had the ABS painted gloss. Quite happy with matte as like contrast to CF blades.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2016, 05:29 AM   #8
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

Hi Chris,

I was concerned about this too, but I have yet to catch the splitter on any bumps. it sits about 10mm lower than the existing bumper I think. I personal think it could go a little bit lower still. I have many speed humps and pedestrian middle of the road mounds near me that I tackle daily that look like they are going to take out my exhaust back box let alone the front splitter but they are cleared easily. my Porsche sits even lower and i have no probs with that either.

I have not taken on any steep inclines in car parks or driveways yet and probably wont bother trying either... I think that with catch the splitter...
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 06:36 AM   #9
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for the feedback all.

Front splitter is a 'GO'
      04-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #10
Turboextreme
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp/E46 330Ci

Standard ride height with the carbon splitter, has plenty of clearance and as said above it only comes down another 10mm or so from the standard bumper:

Appreciate 1
      04-12-2016, 01:54 PM   #11
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

For me that 10 mm made a big difference as my driveway is pretty steep and I do scrape just a bit when entering and exiting. But like others have mentioned, stock height driving has been fine as far as speed bumps and curbs are concerned, just do the necessary angling like your car is lowered, and I believe you'll be fine. If you do lower the car, that will be a whole different story, so keep that in mind as well. Additionally, as cool as carbon fiber is for a lip, I believe it is a ticking time bomb as inevitably, you will scrape or run into something as lips will always see wear and tear no matter how hard you try to avoid damaging it. Because of this I stuck with a matte black lip. I am glad I did because if I were to go CF and hear lip scrape daily while entering and exiting my driveway, I would die a little each time thinking about how much money I threw away. With the matte black lip it is not so bad because I look at it like a wear item. It will eventually be changed or replaced and when the time comes, it won't cost a small fortune.
Appreciate 2