BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-24-2016, 12:37 PM   #1
My27KGame
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Stock Radio Signal is Garbage

I just picked up a 09 135i with the standard sound package. I noticed that the radio signal has quite a bit of static. Does anyone have a solution for this? To me the radio quality is better in my 2002 forester, this should not be.

Please help, or point me in the right direction if a thread already exists.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 03:17 PM   #2
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I get no static at all and I'm ~40 miles from the nearest broadcast tower.
I would say there is a problem with yours and that you may want to return to where you purchased it from and see if they will help/repair/diagnose.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 03:27 PM   #3
My27KGame
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

When I mentioned this to one of the guys I work with who has and 08 135, he said he has the same problem. this is why I believe its not my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 04:56 PM   #4
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

First things, first. Start with the basic, the easy, the most likely and the least costly issue. Assuming the basic design doesn't change (I'm not with my 1M right now to verify), try this:
There is a multiwire connection at the lower left base of the window. The wires there are all small gauge with small connectors that are subject to much temperature, UV and vibration. The antenna connection develops oxidation which significantly reduces signal strength while introducing noise into the signal. FM and AM signals are vulnerable and suffer; a filter will not help at all in such a situation.

Pull the left (driver's side) C-Pillar. Search for directions if you need.

Check at the base of the window to see an odd connector: it is black plastic, about 3" long, about 1/4" square cross section and is flush against the glass.
With a small screwdriver first unclip the connector catch at the top end. Then carefully push/lever/pull the connector forward and up from the bottom. It should come off all of the connections fairly easily. If it does not then recheck to make sure you are going in the correct direction and angle.

Once the connector is off then spray the female connections inside with contact cleaner. Then spray a little cleaner on the male pins. Reconnect and disconnect the connector a few times to help clean the connection points. Reconnect.

You should have an improved AM signal. If not then check the next two easy, entry-level connections before you go on:
Check seating of antenna cable at rear of radio unit in dash.
Check seating of antenna cables in antenna amplifier box attached to frame under C-Pillar.

As a last resort, only, an alternator might have a deteriorating ground connection. Disconnect, unmount, check metal condition on unit and engine. (If it's internally failing only removal and painstaking checking with ohmmeter may determine that issue.)
See also -
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...6&postcount=12

Assuming no prior mods and/or work with the electronics, the age of the vehicle and exposure to sun are factors causing a reception problem.
Appreciate 0