Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

02-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #1
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Talk to me about ED Allocations

Hello Folks,
Need some assistance in understanding how the ED Allocations and the ordering process works... I'm in Canada so I'm not sure if the process is different between USA and CAN however I'm hoping the experts here can chime in and help me out.

My understanding is that the MY2017 production starts in June or July. I would like to do ED for the beginning of August for a MY2017.

That being said do I simply go into my dealer and ask for a Aug ED allocation, provide some sort of deposit to secure the slot? Given that we have no 2017 pricing do we negotiate ED pricing based on a MY2016 or do you secure pricing when the MY2017 numbers are released? How soon do I have to move on this to get an Aug ED allocation?

I'm currently a client of Endras for the folks in the GTA however the CA I used to work with is no longer at that location. Any recommendations for a CA that knows the ED process?

I'm coming to the fourm for help as I trust the info received here over and above what a CA will tell me. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Generally speaking, a good time to start the discussion with your CA about scheduling an ED is about 3 months out. You're a bit early for MY17, but if they're willing to secure their first allocation for you than there's no harm in doing it sooner rather than later.

You won't be able to finalize any pricing until the MY17 pricing is published. However, you should be negotiating invoice + $XXX + incentives anyway, so the actual price is irrelevant. I wouldn't expect a particularly large increase.

You are correct that the model changeover occurs in June, so an August ED shouldn't be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 03:52 PM   #3
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
Need some assistance in understanding how the ED Allocations and the ordering process works... I'm in Canada so I'm not sure if the process is different between USA and CAN however I'm hoping the experts here can chime in and help me out.
There are some differences between US and CAN (definitely in pricing, but likely elsewhere as well), but some key common principles apply:

1). Find and work with an experienced sales person who has done ED's before. Definitely avoid eager amateurs.
2). Always negotiate from invoice up (invoice + SA's profit). If your SA claims that that's not possible, or he/she doesn't know the invoice price, or wont reveal it to you - walk away and find a more honest sales person.
3). A deposit is usually requested in the US to secure any customer build vehicle, ED or otherwise (US consumer protection laws allow buyer to walk away from the deal at any time, and few dealers want to take inventory risk on weird builds).

In the US, you can place ED order T-5 months, so August is already within sight. Not sure about CAN.
MY17 production starts on July 1st.

a
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 06:03 AM   #4
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Thanks for the information. Sounds like the key here is getting an SA that knows the process. Any recommendations from the CDN crowd?
Appreciate 0