BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-27-2016, 06:48 PM   #1
New21er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Cross shop

Did any of you diesel guys cross shop a VW Touareg TDI before you settled with the BMW diesel? Care to share your experience? I know all about "diesel gate"; and was wondering after the dust settles, what your choice might be?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 09:41 PM   #2
Terp335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 2011 335i M Sport

I owned a previous Gen model and can say that fit and finish is nowhere near what you get in an X5. The Touareg also felt under powered and drove more like a truck, but still drove solid like a German car on the highway. It also had great off-road capabilities. I did stuff in that car that I'm not at all sure I'd try to do in an X5. If it wasn't for my wife I wouldn't have gotten rid of it for our previous MDX (what a mistake, I hated that car)

Aside from all that, there is a noticeable difference in rear leg room and cargo space, if that's important to you.

All that said, my buddy has a newer model and LOVES it. It's a great looking car and I can see why you'd cross shop it with an X5. I do find that people more frequently cross shop the X5 against the Touareg's sibling, the Cayenne.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 09:56 PM   #3
artem123
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30

Not sure about diesel, although diesel issue seemed to be affecting only 4cyl engines, but gas Touareg was an awesome ride, which i regret letting go. X5(F15) is rather better ride, however T2 was as solid as it gets.