BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-27-2016, 03:50 PM   #1
izelfon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 3.5d

Garage List
Help finding answers please

Let me apologize in advanced if these questions have already came up and been answered on different threads, I just can't find them for some reason.

2 questions:

1) I have folders with music on my USB key, how do I import them into my HD without having to go song by song and retaining the folder structure. I remember doing it back in the day on my 2009 335i but can't figure it out now for the life of me and was not able to find anything about it online.

2) What is the difference between going into Sport via a button (Comfort, Sport, Eco) and shifting into Sport (D then left for Sport)?

Thank you!
      01-27-2016, 05:20 PM   #2
Neuera09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 Xline with MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by izelfon View Post
Let me apologize in advanced if these questions have already came up and been answered on different threads, I just can't find them for some reason.

2 questions:

1) I have folders with music on my USB key, how do I import them into my HD without having to go song by song and retaining the folder structure. I remember doing it back in the day on my 2009 335i but can't figure it out now for the life of me and was not able to find anything about it online.

2) What is the difference between going into Sport via a button (Comfort, Sport, Eco) and shifting into Sport (D then left for Sport)?

Thank you!
Question 1:

When in doubt, go to youtube.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2016, 05:41 PM   #3
Doanster
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 Carbon Black M-Sport

Who needs YouTube when you have MattBianco!

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1020173

As for your second question, I don't believe there's a difference, but can't confirm.
      01-27-2016, 08:48 PM   #4
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Question two: there is a difference if you have an upgraded suspension e.g. Adaptive m suspension.

I can't confirm but maybe it might not be a difference for standard suspension though.
      01-27-2016, 09:19 PM   #5
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

I don't have the suspension upgrade (standard Msport) but here is some other stuff that happens:

Sport - torque converter locks up at a lower RPM, the transmission line pressure is increased a bit for more positive shifts, and the engine tune switches to a different, more aggressive map. In other words, you get better throttle response, the car moves from a dead stop faster, the engine stays in the power band rather than settling in the lowest gear/rpm, and gear shifts are crisper. If I remember correctly, top gear (8th) is not accessible since it is such an overdrive gear. I use Sport for stop and go traffic on my diesel just for the throttle response and the ability to get out of the way of Atlanta drivers. Battery charging takes place on complete decel (foot off accelerator) and the transmission is constantly helping the car slow by automatically downshifting.

Comfort - torque converter is set to the most compliant setting, so you don't get your neck snapped on acceleration from dead stop, the shifts are smoother (almost hard to notice) by lowering the transmission line pressures, engine tune (map) is not as aggressive so better economy and the transmission shifts into 8th gear for cruise and economy. The battery charges on decel and the transmission is constantly helping slow the car by automatically downshifting.

Eco - This is meant for economy so the torque converter completely disengages on deceleration (next to no gas used, engine at idle quickly regardless of speed) and the battery will not be charged - the car will take a long time to roll to stop compared to sport/comfort settings. Additionally, the ECU reduces the use of air conditioning, disengages the transfer case so the car becomes rear wheel drive, the car will automatically go into auto-start mode so you get the joy of driving a petrol golf cart, and probably a couple more things to boost economy. The engine tune is probably pulled back a bit too, but I can't confirm this as I've only used it long enough to figure out what is going on.

These are the main differences as far as I am concerned.
      01-29-2016, 09:17 AM   #6
izelfon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 3.5d

Garage List
Thanks

Thanks for the breakdown, appreciate it. But does something else happen when you actually shift into Sport (d --> S) as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
I don't have the suspension upgrade (standard Msport) but here is some other stuff that happens:

Sport - torque converter locks up at a lower RPM, the transmission line pressure is increased a bit for more positive shifts, and the engine tune switches to a different, more aggressive map. In other words, you get better throttle response, the car moves from a dead stop faster, the engine stays in the power band rather than settling in the lowest gear/rpm, and gear shifts are crisper. If I remember correctly, top gear (8th) is not accessible since it is such an overdrive gear. I use Sport for stop and go traffic on my diesel just for the throttle response and the ability to get out of the way of Atlanta drivers. Battery charging takes place on complete decel (foot off accelerator) and the transmission is constantly helping the car slow by automatically downshifting.

Comfort - torque converter is set to the most compliant setting, so you don't get your neck snapped on acceleration from dead stop, the shifts are smoother (almost hard to notice) by lowering the transmission line pressures, engine tune (map) is not as aggressive so better economy and the transmission shifts into 8th gear for cruise and economy. The battery charges on decel and the transmission is constantly helping slow the car by automatically downshifting.

Eco - This is meant for economy so the torque converter completely disengages on deceleration (next to no gas used, engine at idle quickly regardless of speed) and the battery will not be charged - the car will take a long time to roll to stop compared to sport/comfort settings. Additionally, the ECU reduces the use of air conditioning, disengages the transfer case so the car becomes rear wheel drive, the car will automatically go into auto-start mode so you get the joy of driving a petrol golf cart, and probably a couple more things to boost economy. The engine tune is probably pulled back a bit too, but I can't confirm this as I've only used it long enough to figure out what is going on.

These are the main differences as far as I am concerned.