BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-20-2016, 09:17 AM   #1
hamletl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4- Tanzanite Blue Metall

Need Help- headlight

So I just bought my 2008 m3 a few weeks ago. After about three days of owning the car, my front left headlight flickered and went out. This happened the next two times I drove the car then the light completely went out. I thought the bulb had just died so I replaced the bulb and it was good as new. Another week went by with no issues then we had a cold rain spell that lasted a few days here in Virginia. As the days went by more and more condensation showed up in the driver side headlight. Then my low beam went out again 4 days ago.... After browsing the forums I discovered leaky housings for the headlight were common so I ordered a new housing and I'm currently waiting for that to arrive, however yesterday evening my headlight was still full of condensation but the low beam was working normally. So I have a few questions:
1. could the cold wether freezing the condensation be causing the headlight to work again?
2. All the other lights(blinker and Halo) still work. No low beam though
3. Finally, does this sound like a condensation issue or another issue all together.

Since I ordered the new housing I'm going to install it but I just figured I'd pick the brains of the more experienced members of the forum to see if it may be another issue.

Thank you to any one with any knowledge and help!

Lee
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 10:33 AM   #2
JFB
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 LSB

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Sounds like your xenon igniter is shorting out. This happened to me except that I completely lost my igniter.... $250 at ECS tuning...

Before this happens to you, I would suggest you re-insulate the housing. It's very simple.

First, remove the headlights (search DIY: headlight removal). Then remove the headlight top cover (where you would change the angel eye bulb) and blow some compressed air in there to remove all moisture.

Second, go to the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist for a syringe used to give kids antibiotics. That syringe is small and helps with silicone application. (Actually maybe do this step first! Lol!)

Third, use the syringe to insert silicone (I used clear bathroom silicone, but use whatever you like) all around the headlight housing between the black and the clear plastic parts. Be generous, and don't worry if you overfill in some areas, you can wipe it off and those parts are hidden from view once back on the car...

Fourth, let dry for an hour or 24 hours depending on what silicone you used and reinstall on car.

If you do this repair, you will never have moisture in your headlights again (unless other seals are damaged or the housing is cracked, of course!)

Hope this helps. Good luck!
      01-20-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
Elwolfe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 LMB, 6MT

Garage List
2013 E93 M3  [0.00]
FWIW, my passenger side halo was doing the same thing intermittently. Turned out to be a loose wire on the little ICB that drives the light. Re-soldered and everything worked out well.

I didn't have condensation issues, and I'm not certain if there's a similar ICB for the low-beam so this may not be helpful or relevant.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #4
JFB
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 LSB

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
So? What has come of this? Is it fixed?