Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

01-07-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
SF_VR6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' X5 M-Sport / Space Gray

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Decided on Ceramic Pro - Thoughts?

I'm posting this here since theres lots of folks knowledgable in detailing.

After much research I've decided to move forward with 2 coats of Ceramic Pro from an authorized installer.

We just took delivery of a 2016 X5 M Sport
Our car is a weekend warrior car for around town and weekend trips up and down the California coast.

Considered a Paint Protection Film but:

- Didn't like the thought of it aging, peeling or discoloring
- Expensive if you want full car custom wrap
- Can still get damaged anyways from enthusiastic rocks

Decided on Ceramic Pro coating because:

- The time saved from washing and waxing
- Compelling protection from bird poop, dirt, stains, and chemicals
- The look and shine
- Like that our car will undergo a full polish and prep before it gets sealed

Any further thoughts before we pull the trigger in the next few weeks?

thanks.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #2
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

A lot of money. A lot of promises. For a 2 year old company.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 12:11 AM   #3
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
First, congrats on your X5 M, nice! If you are decided on using a pro coating instead of a PPF, why not go with a more known/established brand: Carpro Cquartz Finest, Modesta BC-04,... Do a Google search on ceramic pro and you will find some interesting information (AG forum discussions). And please don't entirely believe anything you read/watch about these nano coatings, there is no magic paint coating that can protect your paint from stone chips...

All of these coatings will make your car looks amazingly shiny, and water will roll of your car, but you will only know how good of a protection it was if you yourself work and detail your car and know what to look for... I have Xpelled full front and applied myself the hobbyist version CquartzUK http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1202659
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2016, 12:14 AM   #4
Coloradom3
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, 21 X5M

can this also be applied to wheels? looking for something to coat my oem wheels from getting swirls and scratches, which we all now is very noticeable on gloss black.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2016, 12:21 AM   #5
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Many of those coatings can be applied to wheels, or some have specific versions for wheels or other parts (trim, rubber, plastic, glass, ...)
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2016, 03:04 AM   #6
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_VR6 View Post
Considered a Paint Protection Film but:

- Didn't like the thought of it aging, peeling or discolouring
Xpel has a warranty, my installer will replace the area that shows this. A paint wax will become long useless by the time you notice(if) you notice this on Suntek or Xpel
- Expensive if you want full car custom wrap
why do you need the whole car, get the front and cquartz
- Can still get damaged anyways from enthusiastic rocks
Anything is possible, you might also sprain your ankle even though you installed this film. At least you have insurance for the normal everyday stuff
Decided on Ceramic Pro coating because:

- The time saved from washing and waxing
Again, I elected to double dip with Xpel and a coating, doesn't have to be either or. Both is the best option. Alone, each one is lacking
- Compelling protection from bird poop, dirt, stains, and chemicals
But bugs splatters and micro road debris will tear up the from of such a large vehicle
- The look and shine
Sure, but no protection on the highway
- Like that our car will undergo a full polish and prep before it gets sealed
Same for ppf from a good installer

Any further thoughts before we pull the trigger in the next few weeks?

thanks.
Bottom line for me was that the paramount concern was damage from the road way. If I had to choose one or the other I'd choose the film ANY day. I can't wipe off a rock chip. If I wash my car properly and just even using a standard high quality off the shelf wax treatment, the car will fair extremely well against bird poop, stains and chemicals.

I consider myself a responsible owner and hate to drive around with a dirty car, or with bird poop any where. I carry a quick wax spray cleaner and soft rag and wipe away any issues as needed, no matter where I am. If you're the type that drives around with poop on your hood and after a long drive on the road don't clean the car from smashed bugs and road grime...then the coating might be best for your.....but you won't be able to ever wipe away rock chips.

Some say they can get a paint job every so many years for their chipped bumper, but the paint never really matches because the rest of the car has aged and cured with it's own "seasoning".

Both is an expensive option and may come out to the price of a full wrap, but I like the peace of mind that I'm protected from the average micro road debris and that the car has a nice paint protection coating over everything that makes washing much easier....especially in your case for such a large vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2016, 07:25 PM   #7
SF_VR6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
First, congrats on your X5 M, nice! If you are decided on using a pro coating instead of a PPF, why not go with a more known/established brand: Carpro Cquartz Finest, Modesta BC-04,... Do a Google search on ceramic pro and you will find some interesting information (AG forum discussions). And please don't entirely believe anything you read/watch about these nano coatings, there is no magic paint coating that can protect your paint from stone chips...

All of these coatings will make your car looks amazingly shiny, and water will roll of your car, but you will only know how good of a protection it was if you yourself work and detail your car and know what to look for... I have Xpelled full front and applied myself the hobbyist version CquartzUK http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1202659

Thanks for your insight on this. This will help in my decision.

Ceramic Pro from what I understand is thicker and more durable. In fact the shop I've inquired with used CQuartz for many years. They have now phased those similar product out and only provide Ceramic Pro. It's new but some of the top rated shops and mobile detailers here in the Bay area are offering Ceramic Pro. I've spoken to all of these top shops and the information and package as well as pricing has been consistent.

I feel good about moving forward with a more this durable coating.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #8
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
How much would this set you back including the polish, and are you doing one coat or more?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 08:10 PM   #9
SF_VR6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
How much would this set you back including the polish, and are you doing one coat or more?

All packages include a very thorough paint correction, a full detail.
This was common for all the shops and the mobile detailer I spoke to.

One coat of Ceramic Pro is equivalent to 2 coats of similar products mentioned above.

The silver package includes 1 coat.
The gold package includes 4 coats!

I opted for a sweet spot and asked for an additional quote on the silver package to make me feel better.

Feel free to PM me for number details.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 10:03 PM   #10
SF_VR6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
BTW, the cost of a full hood, bumper and fender wrap on an X5 runs $2200.00. yikes
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2016, 10:28 PM   #11
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 328xi, '16 F82 (soon)

aboulfad I'm curious as well. Do you know if the coating will be ok to do on Powder Coated Wheels?

I got quoted for XPEL ULTIMATE full hood, bumper and fender, with supports and side skirt + tint + KAMIKAZE coating for 3K. pretty good imo.
      01-08-2016, 11:34 PM   #12
Coloradom3
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, 21 X5M

Quote:
Many of those coatings can be applied to wheels, or some have specific versions for wheels or other parts (trim, rubber, plastic, glass, ...)
Thanks aboulfad !
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #13
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
@s0ul Unsure about powder coated wheels, reading some of the doc of CQ Dlux doesn't mention application on powder coated wheels, but plastic, trim and alloy wheels. I have coated my wheels with CQUK, it helps a bit, but if you regularly (1-3x per month) wash your car , it's always easy to clean the wheels without any of these coatings. Maybe ask our sponsor?

Btw, I don't have any direct experience with any of the pro products mentioned in this thread, but I have been detailing my cars for 10+ years and my expectations of any of those "hobbyist" version of the products have always been low and it's been very hard to find online resources for the pro products with the exception of Carpro (CQ Finest) that has its own forums with detailed review, information and customer feedback.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 12:40 AM   #14
adonisdetail
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_VR6 View Post
All packages include a very thorough paint correction, a full detail.
This was common for all the shops and the mobile detailer I spoke to.

One coat of Ceramic Pro is equivalent to 2 coats of similar products mentioned above.

The silver package includes 1 coat.
The gold package includes 4 coats!

I opted for a sweet spot and asked for an additional quote on the silver package to make me feel better.

Feel free to PM me for number details.
Not entirely true, CPro relies on layering their coatings to achieve thickness. Modesta only requires one application as its glass membrane forms an extremely thick and hard structure without the need to layer.

CPro is not a bad product, but there are better options out there.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #15
SF_VR6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAD View Post
Not entirely true, CPro relies on layering their coatings to achieve thickness. Modesta only requires one application as its glass membrane forms an extremely thick and hard structure without the need to layer.

CPro is not a bad product, but there are better options out there.

yea, I wasn't comparing it to Modesta. Modesto looks promising as well but I haven't found a shop around here that offers it.
Appreciate 0