R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

01-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
raylist
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 F80

Paint protection options.

Hi All,

I have been reading and watching youtube videos about XPEL, 3M and others films to protect different exterior parts on the car. Is there a comprehensive list of parts that should be protected documented somewhere on the forum? Also looking for suggestions on which product ( XPEL, 3M OR ???) folks have used.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #2
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by raylist View Post
Hi All,

I have been reading and watching youtube videos about XPEL, 3M and others films to protect different exterior parts on the car. Is there a comprehensive list of parts that should be protected documented somewhere on the forum? Also looking for suggestions on which product ( XPEL, 3M OR ???) folks have used.

Thanks
There is no consensus on "best product" - I personally used Suntek and have been very happy. Xpel seems to have the most market share.

On the F80 a general concensus:
entire Front clip (whole front end back to the front doors). A pillar from hood to roof line. Mirrors. Door cups (hollows under the handles). Some folks do the first 3-4 inches of the roof. Most important is the rocker sills, and the bottom of the doors (from the rocker sills until the break line about 4 inches higher). Lots of rocks come up there. I added more protection on the back quarters from the rocker to the top of the wheel well and a strip on top of the back bumper in front of the trunk opening.

Oh, and I would highly recommend film on the shadow line trim, which scratches if you look at it funny.
Best Regards, Robert (BMWCCA #471893)
Loreley 2015 / //M3 6MT SO over full SO, Exec,Susp & Lighting, HK & Blk 19's - ED 15 May 2015, Redelivery 23 July 2015
My photography: WWW.PBASE.COM/VONMAYR
My ED Adventure http://www.vonmayredadventure.blogspot.com
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 12:18 AM   #3
Coloradom3
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, 21 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonmayr View Post
There is no consensus on "best product" - I personally used Suntek and have been very happy. Xpel seems to have the most market share.

On the F80 a general concensus:
entire Front clip (whole front end back to the front doors). A pillar from hood to roof line. Mirrors. Door cups (hollows under the handles). Some folks do the first 3-4 inches of the roof. Most important is the rocker sills, and the bottom of the doors (from the rocker sills until the break line about 4 inches higher). Lots of rocks come up there. I added more protection on the back quarters from the rocker to the top of the wheel well and a strip on top of the back bumper in front of the trunk opening.

Oh, and I would highly recommend film on the shadow line trim, which scratches if you look at it funny.
if its not an inconvenience, would you mind posting pics of the areas you had done? it would be greatly appreciated. I have been wanting to do this.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 08:05 PM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I've had 3M, Xpel and Suntek on different cars. I have Suntek in my M4 and like it a lot. It seems to be the best combination of clear and sturdy and my installer told me it was the easiest to install (always a good thing). I don't have bad things to say about the others but Suntek is working out well.

I'd say the essentials are the front bumper, 1/3 hood and fenders, headlights, side mirrors, door strips and luggage strip. This is what I've done on previous cars and the most cost effective approach.

Next level up from there would be all that but full front instead of 1/3, CF roof (full or partial) and A-pillars. This is what I did on the M4. As noted above rocker panels may not be a bad idea although I didn't do those and haven't had issues with chips (at least not yet).

As far as pics go, you wouldn't notice the film. Best bet is to see it in person at a local meet or vendor's shop. Always use an authorized dealer with a good reputation even if it costs a little more.