BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

01-01-2016, 07:41 PM   #1
ericxog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

Just got the "EDC Malfunction" message on the way home, help!

Hey guys, so on the way home just now, I was greeted by an "EDC Malfunction" message on the iDrive. The car is a 2011 ZCP w/ 41k miles.

I've owned the car for just a little over a month, it's very new to me. About a week ago, I installed the KW Sleeve Kit at LTMW. Prior to this install, I had no issues.

My initial concern is the severity of the issue. I purchased the car from Long Beach BMW, but it was not a CPO therefore I have no warranty. The cars mannerisms are fine, all I can really notice is that the car stays in its stiffest setting as far as the dampeners. I cracked open the hood and checked the connectors on top of the struts, unfortunately everything looked pretty good and connected. (I know 75% of this error message is due to a loose connector). I was hoping it was just a simple fix after searching a bunch of threads for a few hours.

Unfortunately for me, luck hasn't been on my side as my DD is also currently in the shop with a flashing check engine light and misfire (Mazda Protege), so this is currently my only car. Seems from the threads posted that most people continued to drive their cars as long as they can put up with the stiffest setting.

What should be my next point of action? I eventually wanted to go with a coil over setup that would rid my EDC Function, I planned to do this in the near future. Would it be detrimental driving the car with the error until I can install coil overs?

Hopefully some of you guys can help me, I'm extremely concerned. Going to call EAS tomorrow and see what they could chime in on, might have to make a trip down there cause they are my only real reputable indy shop locally.

Thanks for the help in advance guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 09:22 PM   #2
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

You said you looked in the hood, did you also look in the trunk?

Did you also look at the wire connector and pins on the struts to make sure no pins are loose or bent/broken
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #3
ericxog
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
You said you looked in the hood, did you also look in the trunk?

Did you also look at the wire connector and pins on the struts to make sure no pins are loose or bent/broken
Thanks for your reply man. I have not looked in the trunk yet, could you guide me as far as what could be a culprit in the trunk?

I did go through the struts in the front though. I went ahead and popped off the caps to check the connections to the top of the strut. I made sure both connections were secure in the their housing. I did notice the left struts connecting pin hardly wants to stay in. For example, when I pop the cap off the left strut, the connecting pin must come along with it. Whereas the other struts pin will stay planted once I pop that cap off.

So far, with securing the pins as snug as I can in the strut, I'm still get the message instantly at startup.

I have no use for the systems functions. From day one I have never driven the car in comfort and have always left it on the stiffest setting. But I am concerned w/ my new car nonetheless and hope I am not harming anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 09:48 PM   #4
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

There are 4 cables. 2 in front, 2 in trunk.
You have to remove the rear trunk panels on the side to get access to the rear shocks.

There are two rubber boots with 2 more EDC connectors
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 09:56 PM   #5
ericxog
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
There are 4 cables. 2 in front, 2 in trunk.
You have to remove the rear trunk panels on the side to get access to the rear shocks.

There are two rubber boots with 2 more EDC connectors
Was definitely misinformed, was only under the impressions the fronts were equipped with the pins. Which now that I think about it makes no sense.

I'll pop off the liner right now and hopefully get a resolve. Appreciate the help thus far.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 10:35 PM   #6
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

That would make sense since they probably never messed with the rear. With the sleeve over system, the rear just swaps out the spring and add the adjuster. Its just something to rule out.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 10:47 PM   #7
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Oh and its fine driving with that error for a while.
You just have to acknowledge the error every time you start the car

If is stuck on stiffest setting, just be careful at high speeds and bumps. IIRC stiffest setting really should bebised on smooth roads on a track.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 10:55 PM   #8
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Also check round plug at top of front struts that the EDC cable connects to.
Just trying to help you rule out all the connection points they may have touched.
Other than that, it could be your EDC controller that coincidently went out.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 02:25 PM   #9
ericxog
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So far I'm stilling getting the error, and I've checked all possible connections I know of. Rear struts, as well as the front strut pins under the caps, as well as the connectors. Again, one of those front strut pins is very weakly pinned into the top of the strut, i can barely touch it and it pops out, I have a good feeling that could be it.

I'm going to go ahead and just order up some coilovers and get it coded out. I was going to add some camber plates to my sleeve kit, but I'd like to just rid the edc as a whole, so I might as well just get some coilovers. I don't really want to dump money into fixing something that I'm not going to use. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #10
Hierlevelz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 AW E9X M

Not sure if the issue lies with the connection at the strut or the cap itself but I believe Bilstein offers an OEM replacement.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #11
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericxog View Post
So far I'm stilling getting the error, and I've checked all possible connections I know of. Rear struts, as well as the front strut pins under the caps, as well as the connectors. Again, one of those front strut pins is very weakly pinned into the top of the strut, i can barely touch it and it pops out, I have a good feeling that could be it.

I'm going to go ahead and just order up some coilovers and get it coded out. I was going to add some camber plates to my sleeve kit, but I'd like to just rid the edc as a whole, so I might as well just get some coilovers. I don't really want to dump money into fixing something that I'm not going to use. What do you think?
I'd say if you're certain that you're going to go with a coilover system, might as well.
Sucks you just had those installed.
Appreciate 0