BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-31-2015, 01:48 AM   #1
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Purchased Recaro SPG w/Stripped/Damaged Mounting Inserts - Opinions Needed!

Hi All,

I just picked up a pair of Recaro SPG from another forum member last night. His ad listed the seats as being in great condition and the price was fair. I met up and checked out the seats for authenticity. They seemed legit based on some internet research, the condition was okay despite some cosmetic blems, and he was a nice guy. Excited me handed over the cash, loaded them up, and took off. Recaro time!!!

Or at least, I thought. I got home, unloaded the seats, and did another look over. This is when I discovered the threaded inserts were all damaged to different degrees.

So my question is, does anyone have experience with this or ideas for a solution? I'm not sure if it would be best to try helicoil repair or something like a rivet nut, or if either of these would be considered safe. Anyone have any tips? Prev owner said they would be fine, just install as-is, but I'm not personally comfortable with the lack of thread engagement and I'd rather get this repaired prior to installing (local shop agreed). I try not to screw too much with safety equipment but I'm hoping there is a proper fix for this as this was unexpected and the seller isn't willing to help out. Who knows, he may not have been aware or really didn't think it a big deal, I try to give benefit of the doubt in these situations. Right now, my goal is getting these beauties properly installed in my car.

At the end of the day I paid cash and picked up without properly inspecting the item, definitely learned my lesson on purchasing used racing seats

Any/All input is appreciated!

Seat #1
Threaded insert 1:
[img][/img]
Threaded insert 2:
[img][/img]
Threaded insert 3:
[img][/img]
Threaded insert 4:
[img][/img]

Seat #2
Threaded insert 1:
[img][/img]
Threaded insert 2:
[img][/img]
Threaded insert 3:
[img][/img]
Threaded insert 4:
[img][/img]

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |

Last edited by tiltmode43; 03-14-2016 at 01:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 04:57 PM   #2
narkotic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Maybe drill the threads out and use bolts / nuts instead? Using nylon bolts / locktite so they don't move?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
pzzvv
LURKER
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Maybe re-tap the holes? Consult with a shop that does manufacturing & engineering work. They'd probably know a good solution & if they have a shop, can probably do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #4
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzzvv View Post
Maybe re-tap the holes? Consult with a shop that does manufacturing & engineering work. They'd probably know a good solution & if they have a shop, can probably do it.
I did the same thing. A set of seats that I had were cross threaded and I just took a tap kit and retapped it. Simple and easy. If you want to fix the cosmetic damage you can use bondo to clean it up and touch up paint.

If tapping does not work, then you can use a thread insert/heliacoil to insert: http://www.timesert.com/html/mtrcsert-aluminum.html
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 09:14 PM   #5
Hierlevelz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 AW E9X M

Get a helicoil kit retap and install new inserts. Done
McMaster Carr has a wide selection.
Appreciate 0