BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

12-15-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
p-lethal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Le Mans Blue

Third-Party Warranty - Mods

so i purchased an third-party extended warranty at the same time i picked up my 2011 e90. In my mind I would love it and cherish it in its stock form

well damn it the mod bug has bitten me and now i am considering all my options. so i know bmw has all the tools and resources to throw their weight around when it comes to warranty stuff but what about third party warranty companies? obviously they don't want to pay out of their pockets either but is it less of a worrisome?

2011 BMW M3 Le Mans Blue - mOBridge DA1 \ Helix DSP Pro \ HAT Legatia L4SE Carbon \ HAT L1 Pro R2 \ HAT Clarus C10SW-D2 (2) \ Jehnert XE200 \ Hertz HDP1 \ Hertz HDP 4 \ Hertz HCP 2
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
DSilk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2015 Jaguar XJ  [0.00]
2015 Jaguar XF  [0.00]
2014 VW GTI  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2007 VW Passat 2.0T  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-lethal View Post
so i purchased an third-party extended warranty at the same time i picked up my 2011 e90. In my mind I would love it and cherish it in its stock form

well damn it the mod bug has bitten me and now i am considering all my options. so i know bmw has all the tools and resources to throw their weight around when it comes to warranty stuff but what about third party warranty companies? obviously they don't want to pay out of their pockets either but is it less of a worrisome?
Warranty companies are essentially in the same business as insurance companies. They make their money by raking in "premiums", investing the money, and paying out less in claims than they take in. So, just like BMW, they aren't going to pay claims without asking any questions. That having been said, the key to determining what impact modifications will have on your coverage is to read the policy carefully (including all of the fine print).
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
Move Over
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

I wouldn't do any non reversible mods and show up to a shop to get warranty work done. For instance, I have a 3rd party warranty, but am catless, full exhaust, coilovers tune etc... If i took my car in for warranty work (of what's covered) you better believe I'm swapping out my tune file and putting the stock X pipe back in. Lol

Also, find a good indy shop, make friends with the tech/management and talk to them about third party warranty work. I have a shop here that I have made good friends with the owner and he says he deals with warrnty/ mods all the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
p-lethal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

ok thanks guys makes sense. i'm going to swing by my local indy shop and see if i can dig around a little.

2011 BMW M3 Le Mans Blue - mOBridge DA1 \ Helix DSP Pro \ HAT Legatia L4SE Carbon \ HAT L1 Pro R2 \ HAT Clarus C10SW-D2 (2) \ Jehnert XE200 \ Hertz HDP1 \ Hertz HDP 4 \ Hertz HCP 2
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
p-lethal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

i was also thinking more along the lines of a test pipe. but then again you could be left out somewhere stranded and now it will be much more difficult to swap it back in.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #6
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-lethal
i was also thinking more along the lines of a test pipe. but then again you could be left out somewhere stranded and now it will be much more difficult to swap it back in.
Good idea. There is no reason why they shouldn't work with you. They get paid for the full job regardless if it's modified or not.
      12-17-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
p-lethal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move Over View Post
Good idea. There is no reason why they shouldn't work with you. They get paid for the full job regardless if it's modified or not.
so let's say your car had the primary cats welded back on and some time later you needed engine warranty work. if they noticed the weld could they deny?

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 12:26 PM   #8
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

I doubt it. The shop is usually not the ones denying the claims, it would be the "adjuster" who would probably only come out on really large payouts. The shop just picks up the phone and calls the warranty (insurance) company to get approval.

At that point, I doubt they would be looking at welds on your exhaust. You could say you had it repaired or it was leaking.
      12-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #9
p-lethal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I doubt it. The shop is usually not the ones denying the claims, it would be the "adjuster" who would probably only come out on really large payouts. The shop just picks up the phone and calls the warranty (insurance) company to get approval.

At that point, I doubt they would be looking at welds on your exhaust. You could say you had it repaired or it was leaking.
thanks that makes sense. i'm sure i'm over thinking all of this but better safe than sorry.

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #10
Kwike92M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Supercharged

Quote:

^This.
Typically, an adjuster is sent out for larger payouts. However, if the warranty company asks "is the vehicle modified", shops are now liable for fraud. Its a very fine line we walk. The most absurd situation I have seen was a 328i getting denied for a pinion flange seal @ the rear diff because the vehicle had been lowered on coil overs. It was a relatively "green" service advisor handling the ticket, and he was asked if the vehicle was modified. He said, "yeah, hes got aftermarket suspension". Boom. Game over.

However, if I am replacing the throttle actuators on your M3 and they ask me if you car has been modified, the answer will be no; despite the fact that you have BBK, coil overs, and exhaust. Throttle bodies have nothing to do with any of those items, so why give the warranty company an excuse to make a ridiculous claim.

At the end of the day, they are there to make sure they pay out as little amount of money as possible. Remember that.
Appreciate 0