Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

12-01-2015, 08:33 AM   #1
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Arrow BMW Touch-up Paint Stick or Dr. Colorchip?

Want to fix a couple of chips and just have it handy for future touch-ups. Has anyone used either and can recommend one over the other? Dr. Colorchip is almost double the price of the BMW one and doesn't come with a clear coat. Just looking for feedback on which one is easier to use and does a good job.

Also, can anyone confirm the color code for the 2016 M3 in Alpine White? Is it Alpine White III (300)?

Thanks.
Attached Images

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Alpine White is 300.

I just ordered one of their basic kits for my Austin Yellow. Looks pretty close, as soon as the rain stops, I get a little paint brush, and wash the car... I'll do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #3
qspring
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

I've used Dr. Colorchip on my previous car, 370Z. I had a freak accident where a screwdriver was stuck in the rear tire well. I drove it down the block, and heard a loud smacking in the rear and immediately pulled over. It chipped the edge of the rear fender all the way down to the metal across a good 6 inches.

Dr. Colorchip masked the chips well and even made the surface look flush after several applications. You could tell if you put your face to the paint, but from 5 feet away you could not. From the instructions, Dr Colorchip works best on chips, but doesn't do a great job at fixing fine scratches in the paint. Also, I'm told color makes a difference. Mine was Chicane Yellow.

I plan on getting the BMW paint stick for a little scuff on my passenger side door sill. Someone scuffed it with their heel by the door sill plate. I'll post back on how it works out.
      12-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by qspring View Post
I've used Dr. Colorchip on my previous car, 370Z. I had a freak accident where a screwdriver was stuck in the rear tire well. I drove it down the block, and heard a loud smacking in the rear and immediately pulled over. It chipped the edge of the rear fender all the way down to the metal across a good 6 inches.

Dr. Colorchip masked the chips well and even made the surface look flush after several applications. You could tell if you put your face to the paint, but from 5 feet away you could not. From the instructions, Dr Colorchip works best on chips, but doesn't do a great job at fixing fine scratches in the paint. Also, I'm told color makes a difference. Mine was Chicane Yellow.

I plan on getting the BMW paint stick for a little scuff on my passenger side door sill. Someone scuffed it with their heel by the door sill plate. I'll post back on how it works out.
Thanks. For Dr. Colorchip I always wondered on the step where they describe wiping away the paint. Why does that not remove what you applied on the chip but removes everything around it?

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
SoDamnCrispy
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3, 2013 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
Thanks. For Dr. Colorchip I always wondered on the step where they describe wiping away the paint. Why does that not remove what you applied on the chip but removes everything around it?
I wonder the same thing. Used Dr. Colorchip on my dad's X6's hood (marrakesh brown) and masked it to the point it wasn't visible unless you put your eye up to it. The more layers you put on, the less visible it becomes.
      12-01-2015, 05:43 PM   #6
qspring
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
From what I remember, the "paint" quickly adheres to the chip area. Something about the surface of the chipped area is not as smooth as the clear coat. When you do wipe, paint on the clear coat comes off easily. If you do wipe hard enough, the rest can come off. It kind of like when you put caulking to smooth over a crack.
      12-01-2015, 08:08 PM   #7
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I have used BMW touch up paint for more than a decade and it's a beeatch to use, especially with metallic paints. However the BMW quality of the paint and clear is very good! Eventually I ordered spray can paint and would spray some in the cup and use it with a tooth pick. Given your color isn't metallic and is white, it's easier to use either approaches.

In any case, preparation and patience is key to having a good result and from experience if you don't follow with a thin layer of clear, your touch up areas may peel but Dr Colorchip seems to say they are permanent!
Appreciate 2
      12-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #8
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

anyone know why YMB is not available yet? The paint has been in production for a couple years now. is it some kind of secret brew and/or can it not stay in liquid form? anyone know? sorry to threadjack.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 08:30 PM   #9
deplaya
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: YMB/SO M3, SS/BLK TL

Damn, I still can't believe they don't have the YMB touch up.

For anyone with YMB, where did you get your touch up from and how is the match?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 08:33 PM   #10
deplaya
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
anyone know why YMB is not available yet? The paint has been in production for a couple years now. is it some kind of secret brew and/or can it not stay in liquid form? anyone know? sorry to threadjack.
Were you able to find the YMB touch up?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 08:54 PM   #11
mrmoua2u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MW F80 ZCP

BMW touch up paint is a bitch to use. Better have steady hands and patience. Their brush is too big and you tend to get more paint on the chip than you need, in up looking like a dot of paint. I agree using a tooth pick would be best.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 08:57 PM   #12
deplaya
Private First Class
Rep

What about Dr. Colorchip? Would that be a better way to go?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 10:59 PM   #13
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Yes I ended up going with Dr. Colorchip. I got the base kit. Paint match to Oem is spot on.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 07:55 AM   #14
deplaya
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj
Yes I ended up going with Dr. Colorchip. I got the base kit. Paint match to Oem is spot on.
Thanks for the reply. I will be ordering today.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #15
Rbezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 - YMB

Does anyone know of a YMB touch up paint? I've checked with the dealer for the past few months but they said it does not exist yet. Maybe someone that has something to a close match? These rock chips are a mother
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 03:48 PM   #16
Eliza-WestPhilly
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xDrive

How Did the BMW paint work?

Quote:

Hi, How did the BMW paint work? I am also trying to decide between Dr. Colorchip and this...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 03:54 PM   #17
wsccsw13
Private First Class
Rep

I used Dr Colorchip for my YMB and it was amazing. A few coats and some patience, and it’s just about perfect.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 08:32 AM   #18
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza-WestPhilly View Post
Quote:

Hi, How did the BMW paint work? I am also trying to decide between Dr. Colorchip and this...
I have uber-metallic Tanzanite blue. BMW does not provide touchup paint for this color, idkw, so I went with DrColorChip and glad I did. Match was so good I re-ordered just to have on hand.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 07:18 PM   #19
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

I’ve used Dr Colorchip on BSM and Alpine White.

Great match on BSM

Not so much on Alpine White.

I am told by an expert restoration shop I trust that there are at least 13 sub codes of BMW Alpine White.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 12:09 AM   #20
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
I’ve used Dr Colorchip on BSM and Alpine White.

Great match on BSM

Not so much on Alpine White.

I am told by an expert restoration shop I trust that there are at least 13 sub codes of BMW Alpine White.
Correct on AW. There are many variants.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4495.00