Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

11-15-2015, 10:34 PM   #1
mrduder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

wheel weights came off

so these things seemed to have come off on some of my wheels today out at the track. is this of any concern?
Attached Images

Last edited by mrduder; 11-15-2015 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 10:37 PM   #2
///F80M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 AW M3

If you don't know what those things are then u shouldn't be at the track lol.

Those are wheel weights btw
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2015, 10:39 PM   #3
mrduder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///F80M3
If you don't know what those things are......then u shouldn't be at the track lol
helpful.... it was my first day. and this is my first high performance car and I've never seen those on wheels before this car. could you be a little more helpful and explain what they are and let me know if it's problematic that they came off?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 10:40 PM   #4
mrduder
Captain
Rep

Quote:

thank you. so is it a problem that they came off? how the hell would those come off?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 10:44 PM   #5
qspring
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduder
Quote:

thank you. so is it a problem that they came off? how the hell would those come off?
Could have come off from heat dissipating from the brakes.

The weights are used to balance the wheels.
      11-15-2015, 10:49 PM   #6
mrduder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qspring View Post
Could have come off from heat dissipating from the brakes.

The weights are used to balance the wheels.

ok, so i just posted too that i'm having horrible vibration under braking now. i only have 7000 miles on the car and this was my first track day. could this be the cause for that?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 10:49 PM   #7
///F80M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduder View Post
No, not a big deal. Just have it rebalanced
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 10:51 PM   #8
///F80M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ok, so i just posted too that i'm having horrible vibration under braking now. i only have 7000 miles on the car and this was my first track day. could this be the cause for that?
Yes, have it rebalanced.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2015, 11:05 PM   #9
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///F80M3 View Post
Yes, have it rebalanced.
awesome. well that's good to know. here i was all bummed that one day out and my brakes turned to crap. but if it could be these things causing it, then that's better. do these things normally fall off that easily?
Not entirely uncommon if you are tracking the car... And yes, should fix your vibration problem
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 11:06 PM   #10
mrduder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
Not entirely uncommon if you are tracking the car... And yes, should fix your vibration problem
would i not be having constant vibration though? because i'm only getting it under braking.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 11:06 PM   #11
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///F80M3 View Post
Yes, have it rebalanced.
awesome. well that's good to know. here i was all bummed that one day out and my brakes turned to crap. but if it could be these things causing it, then that's better. do these things normally fall off that easily?
The vibrations are from the wheels being unbalanced. Which is due to them losing their adhesive strength from the heat and falling off at the track.

I'm not trying to beat you while you're down but it's pretty surprising that you don't know what wheel weights are and what they do. Well at least you know now and the solution is easy.

A lot of track veterans tape down the wheel weights before going out on track.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 11:10 PM   #12
mrduder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex o View Post
The vibrations are from the wheels being unbalanced. Which is due to them losing their adhesive strength from the heat and falling off at the track.

I'm not trying to beat you while you're down but it's pretty surprising that you don't know what wheel weights are and what they do. Well at least you know now and the solution is easy.

yeah i'm a total noob. never seen those before this car. i know now though. everyone's gotta start somewhere with learning this stuff. which is the main reason i went out with a coach today at thermal before i go out on my own and make an ass of myself. i'm not above learning this stuff. i'm 33 and just now really starting to get into cars more. so i have to start somewhere.

but again, wouldn't i be having vibration constantly? why is it only while braking?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 11:21 PM   #13
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

yeah i'm a total noob. never seen those before this car. i know now though. everyone's gotta start somewhere with learning this stuff. which is the main reason i went out with a coach today at thermal before i go out on my own and make an ass of myself. i'm not above learning this stuff. i'm 33 and just now really starting to get into cars more. so i have to start somewhere.

but again, wouldn't i be having vibration constantly? why is it only while braking?
Kudos to you for having a great attitude about learning new things. I think it's great that you're tracking the car; 99% of M cars will never see the track.

To answer your question... An unbalanced wheel is an unbalanced wheel and there is a wide variance as to how unbalanced they can be. Braking tends to amplify any vibrations due to imperfections in the wheels; whether it is due to the wheels being "out of round" or simply unbalanced wheels. Chances are they are vibrating when you're cruising, you just don't notice it as much. Regardless, the solution is simple... Just get it rebalanced and you should be golden.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2015, 11:23 PM   #14
mrduder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex o
Quote:
Quote:

Kudos to you for having a great attitude about learning new things. I think it's great that you're tracking the car; 99% of M cars will never see the track.

To answer your question... An unbalanced wheel is an unbalanced wheel and there is a wide variance as to how unbalanced they can be. Braking tends to amplify any vibrations due to imperfections in the wheels; whether it is due to the wheels being "out of round" or simply unbalanced wheels. Chances are they are vibrating when you're cruising, you just don't notice it as much. Regardless, the solution is simple... Just get it rebalanced and you should be golden.
will bmw do this under warranty? just don't tell them I was tracking the car?

and yeah, that's the whole reason I got this car man! what's the point of having a fun, fast track car if you're not gonna drive it the way it should be? lame..... hahaha
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 11:26 PM   #15
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex o
Quote:
Quote:

Probably not. And it's not worth fighting over.

It should only cost about $10 - $15 a wheel to do it at any tire shop.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 11:38 PM   #16
04RC51
Large Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F82 M4

When you get your wheels balanced next time, tell the tire guys to use carbon fiber wheel weights. They cost a little more but they weigh less.
      11-15-2015, 11:44 PM   #17
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-1...90D3264D130176
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2015, 11:45 PM   #18
Kortho
Private
Rep
Drives: 16' SO F80

Quote:

and yeah, that's the whole reason I got this car man! what's the point of having a fun, fast track car if you're not gonna drive it the way it should be? lame..... hahaha

They won't cover it under warranty, I had noticed a minor vibration above 80 mph, when I had the 1200 mile service done I had them check the balance on all the tires and sure enough one of the weights had come off. I had them redo all the wheels and was charged 50 bucks. Not that bad for a now smooth ride.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2015, 11:49 PM   #19
mrduder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4
Quote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-1...90D3264D130176
is this a real thing to do or am I gonna be that noob showing up with that and everyone laughing at me? hahahaha
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 11:51 PM   #20
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
is this a real thing to do or am I gonna be that noob showing up with that and everyone laughing at me? hahahaha
This is a real thing to do
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2015, 11:58 PM   #21
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Do you know if they actually came off? The rims are not supposed to have the exact same number of weights on them. Some may have more and some less due to the need to balance each rim/tire differently.

From your pictures, I don't see any signs of weights falling off (there would be rectangular patches not covered in as much brake dust if the weights did fall off while you were tracking the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 12:06 AM   #22
mrduder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Do you know if they actually came off? The rims are not supposed to have the exact same number of weights on them. Some may have more and some less due to the need to balance each rim/tire differently.

From your pictures, I don't see any signs of weights falling off (there would be rectangular patches not covered in as much brake dust if the weights did fall off while you were tracking the car.
I have no idea? I believe the front both had 4 and the back had 2??? but I honestly can't remember. I remember seeing them on there wondering what they were when I first got the car but haven't looked again till today. I thought it was the rotors and was checking those out and noticed they were all different. and it's a little hard to tell from the pics, but there are markings that kinda look like there should be something there like they fell off
Appreciate 0