BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-06-2015, 03:09 PM   #1
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: m6

Last edited by Xx__xs; 10-20-2018 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Aren't backfires the symptom of excess fuel in the exhaust stream, whether intentional or accidental?

The video looks to be intentional fuel dumps to create the flames.

I'd look at other reasons for oil loss. Some cars just burn up a lot of oil due to piston ring wear/tolerances, oil type, internal leaks, external leaks.

Oil typically is not ignitable like what you see in the video. Typically oil will smoke/burn in lieu of being combustible.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #3
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Aren't backfires the symptom of excess fuel in the exhaust stream, whether intentional or accidental?

The video looks to be intentional fuel dumps to create the flames.

I'd look at other reasons for oil loss. Some cars just burn up a lot of oil due to piston ring wear/tolerances, oil type, internal leaks, external leaks.

Oil typically is not ignitable like what you see in the video. Typically oil will smoke/burn in lieu of being combustible.
While I didnt get it on video, (ill try later) my car sometimes does emit darker smoke through the exhaust immediately before a flame shoots out or at the same time you hear a loud backfire/ right as I shift into next gear

I have a light oil leak out of the oil gasket area.

When I just got the car (about 5 years ago) the stock 4.0 engine was burning about a quart every month or so. this was deemed normal by anyone I talked to. Now with the 4.6, this (albeit minor) leak, and flume of smoke/fire during hardish WOT's, Im at a quart every half month or so.

I'm going to attempt a solid month without any very hard WOT's to see if it solves the issue,
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
stevelp99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yup, check for leaks. My old Mustang GT used to consume oil as much as fuel even though it did not have a single leak, compared to my old old M5 used to consume oil more so than my M6 at the time. Both had the same engine, roughly the same amount of miles, no leaks or problems, Just one consumed more oil than the other. Flames are due to excessive fuel. My GTR used to spit flames when running E85 when letting off the gas in high rpm.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 12:07 AM   #5
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Are you cat less?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 01:37 AM   #6
Xx__xs
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Are you cat less?
yes.

and ya in the vid i let off the gas at maybe 6.5-7
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 06:22 PM   #7
Kwike92M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 Supercharged

To address your question: No.
Excessive oil consumption is typically attributed to PCV malfunction, improper piston ring seating/excessive wear, etc. It WILL NOT cause flames out of the tailpipe. The black or dark smoke you are seeing is typically a sign of a rich fuel mixture. If the smoke was a light grey, which is most often more prevalent @ idle RPM ranges, then that could be cause for questioning. Some oil consumption is very normal, especially for german cars. For example, Audi 2.0L turbos can consume .5L per 500 miles, and still be considered "within tolerance"

Correct me if I'm wrong (which I usually am) but flames out of the exhaust, especially during deloading of the engine (coming off of WOT, down shifting, etc) is usually caused by valve lift/open duration combined with a rich A/F mixture. If the car is tuned to have exceptionally long valve lift duration, the unburnt fuel from a rich AF mixture can make it into the exhaust and combust. If you have cats, their life span will be greatly decreased as this results in very high catalyst temps.

Again, this is really only ever found in high performance applications. If you are worried, consult a trained technician.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 06:35 AM   #8
ruff1017
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 6speed

I do not know about the flames. But just give you an idea, I have 2009 (stock btw) and it does not burn any oil at all. I never had to put any extra oil between the oil changes.
And I don't drive slowly.
For sure, its not normal with that much oil consumption.
Appreciate 0