Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

11-03-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Touchless car wash

Does it cause any swirls or paint damage , its a complete touch free system. I used it on my audi a lot and specially helpful in winter and does pretty good job.

Thoughts on using it on the new M?
      11-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
phyek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mineral White M4

Better safe than sorry. I always hand wash my M. Although, I am pretty OCD w/ it.
      11-03-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

I know hand wash is the best and takes couple of hours, in between is it fine to use the touchless wash ?
      11-03-2015, 03:53 PM   #4
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
I know hand wash is the best and takes couple of hours, in between is it fine to use the touchless wash ?
I would advise against it. Also, if you're skilled and you don't wait until it's absolutely filthy it shouldn't take a couple of hours to wash your car.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #5
RKAM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Yes. Bear in mind they are using chemicals to clean the paint, so it's stronger than an ordinary car wash. This will adversely impact whatever wax, sealant or other protective coatings you have on the car. Not sure about paint protection films, but the manufacturer should be able to address those questions.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 08:37 AM   #6
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

I used to use one on my e92 335. The chemicals ended up oxidizing some of the shadowline trim so bad it started turning white.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #7
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
I used to use one on my e92 335. The chemicals ended up oxidizing some of the shadowline trim so bad it started turning white.
yes same issue i had on e92 335 but its an easy fix as long as it does not harm the paint.

I used the touchless car wash on my audi S4 and there were no issues on the paint and it did a good job in between my hand washes. Normally i hand wash 2-3 months and in between take it to the touchless car wash , would like to hand wash more often and dont have time or weather issues.

The M is my DD and not garage queen
      11-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #8
///F80M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 AW M3

Quote:
Does it cause any swirls or paint damage , its a complete touch free system. I used it on my audi a lot and specially helpful in winter and does pretty good job.

Thoughts on using it on the new M?
The rails will scratch your wheels. Stay away
Appreciate 1
jonf49132.50
      11-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #9
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:
yes same issue i had on e92 335 but its an easy fix as long as it does not harm the paint.

I used the touchless car wash on my audi S4 and there were no issues on the paint and it did a good job in between my hand washes. Normally i hand wash 2-3 months and in between take it to the touchless car wash , would like to hand wash more often and dont have time or weather issues.

The M is my DD and not garage queen
If you call buying $100+ trims and replacing them "easy".
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #10
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///F80M3 View Post
The rails will scratch your wheels. Stay away
there are no rails , its a touchless lazor wash.

Ofcourse i dont take my car to car wash with rails, no way
      11-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #11
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

I would heavily advise against it.

Hand wash only and when it gets too cold... bring it in the garage and use a waterless or rinseless and still hand wash..

Unless you are a fan of scratches on your paint and overly harsh chemicals on your trim etc to get a "quick clean" that still leaves dirt behind.
      11-05-2015, 02:09 AM   #12
nikolaos33
First M Car
Rep
Drives: M4

I used the chemical guys eco smart few times but be careful to use super clean microfiber towels. you can do your car in about 30 minutes or so. i havent seen any scratches or any other issues but i do polish ,seal and wax every 6 months.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #13
Treeboy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '22 X4 M40i / '24 X5 M60i

Garage List
'24 X5 M60i  [0.00]
'22 X4 M40i  [0.00]
My PPF installer suggested touchless car wash over regular hand washing to avoid swirl marks.
Hi installed Xpel Ultimate (full front + CF roof) and GTechniq Crystal Serum coating on the car body, including the rims and calipers.
When discussing harsh chemical used in touchless car wash, he recommended local Esso station over Shell due to harsher chemical use in the latter. No proof that different chemicals are being used between those two was given .
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #14
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeboy View Post
My PPF installer suggested touchless car wash over regular hand washing to avoid swirl marks.
Hi installed Xpel Ultimate (full front + CF roof) and GTechniq Crystal Serum coating on the car body, including the rims and calipers.
When discussing harsh chemical used in touchless car wash, he recommended local Esso station over Shell due to harsher chemical use in the latter. No proof that different chemicals are being used between those two was given .
Very interesting. I've never heard of a detailer suggesting an automated car wash, touchless or otherwise. If hand washed properly, you can greatly limit the opportunity to introduce swirls in the paint. To each his own.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #15
Treeboy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '22 X4 M40i / '24 X5 M60i

Garage List
'24 X5 M60i  [0.00]
'22 X4 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
Very interesting. I've never heard of a detailer suggesting an automated car wash, touchless or otherwise. If hand washed properly, you can greatly limit the opportunity to introduce swirls in the paint. To each his own.
Well, I know he asked me about my routine how I usually clean the car during the discussion about what particular couating to use, and when I said touchless car wash he suggested this coating. My car is SSII so swirls is not the main concern to me.
To be honest I am not an expert enough to say that touchless car wash is causing swirls with the coating on.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #16
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
So I am going through that dilemma too as winter is approaching, I just redid my garage and to wash the car inside either requires half height ceramics or some curtains... I don't believe in waterless or rinseless, unless you are a super pro with a super technique swirls will be introduced and can inky be used with very lightly dirty car. I think once a month in a touchless car wash system isn't going to do more damage then all the environmental conditions our clear coats are subject to. It would be good though to alternate with a hand wash and maybe re-apply a wax or any other quick topcoat as those chemicals used in the touchless system may strip some protection.

I just washed my car today outside, probably for the last time and I think I will install some bathroom clear curtains in my garage to give my M a shower once in a while to remove all the winter salt, sand and dirt !
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 08:22 AM   #17
JoeKixxon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange on Black

I also had a veteran professional detailer tell me the touchless car was is OK and the clear bra guy said the same. Here in Austin these are basically the top guys. Donavin with Above & Beyond detail, and Sunbusters for the PPF. If there's a Ferrari or Lambo, or whatever exotic in town... It goes to these guys. I'm not saying they all drive through the gas station car wash, but I do trust their opinions.

I drove my E90 through the touchless wash (Rudy's on 620 for fellow Austinites) but with my F80 I haven't done it. I'm sure I will when the newness wears off, but for now it's hand wash only. For a fast hand wash, I'm absolutely delighted with the ease and results of the following kit and technique.

I washed my car inside my garage while it was pouring rain outside. I thought optimum no rinse was just for wiping down a slightly dirty car, but my car was FILTHY with caked on dirt and road grime from recent rain. The clean bucket stayed completely blue and clear, and the dirty bucket was black with grease and dirt. I shoulda took pictures.

Here’s the kit I bought:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Pro-Kit...-Wax-Kit-P442/

And here is the technique:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...imum-no-rinse/

So... Long post, but if you're in a rush and don't want to drive through a car wash, you could wash only with the above technique in 20-30 min, and skip the wheels and wax until you have more time.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2015, 08:32 AM   #18
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKixxon View Post

I washed my car inside my garage while it was pouring rain outside. I thought optimum no rinse was just for wiping down a slightly dirty car, but my car was FILTHY with caked on dirt and road grime from recent rain. The clean bucket stayed completely blue and clear, and the dirty bucket was black with grease and dirt. I shoulda took pictures.
Good advice, but it all depends how dirty the car was and when was the last wash. Even with the best products/techniques, a rinseless/washless 2 bucket technique will still introduce marring/swirls. You think they are not there, but you need to look carefully at different angles and with different lighting.

I am hesitant to do that often because I thought I followed every single tip on earth and one day when the sun was shining inside my garage, I see a nice marring on the rear fender. So need to be careful not only during the wash, but most importantly during the drying stage...

Check this AG mega thread from Mike Phillips on the technique you mention.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #19
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Good advice, but it all depends how dirty the car was and when was the last wash. Even with the best products/techniques, a rinseless/washless 2 bucket technique will still introduce marring/swirls. You think they are not there, but you need to look carefully at different angles and with different lighting.

I am hesitant to do that often because I thought I followed every single tip on earth and one day when the sun was shining inside my garage, I see a nice marring on the rear fender. So need to be careful not only during the wash, but most importantly during the drying stage...

That's spot on. I don't believe in those rinseless/washless techniques or products. I'm not here to convince anyone one way or another but I don't feel confident that it won't cause damage to the paint.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 08:48 AM   #20
JoeKixxon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Good advice, but it all depends how dirty the car was and when was the last wash. Even with the best products/techniques, a rinseless/washless 2 bucket technique will still introduce marring/swirls.

Yeah this is a really good point. Thank you. Pics would have served me well since "caked on dirt" is a relative term. I thought my car was filthy (and it was) but it was also less than a week since it was last cleaned and washed. My cars never get THAT dirty. I always cringe when I see an otherwise beautiful car with 2 years of black brake dust on the wheels, dirt just glued into the paint, and... lets throw in an empty Starbucks still in the cupholder (just for color).
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #21
JoeKixxon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
That's spot on. I don't believe in those rinseless/washless techniques or products. I'm not here to convince anyone one way or another but I don't feel confident that it won't cause damage to the paint.
Haha! I'm with you - I don't want to convince anyone either. It's not as though I sell these products

But I would have had the same fear about protecting the paint, and now I'm a believer. To each his own - and however you wash your ///M - it's a great time to bond with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #22
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKixxon View Post
Haha! I'm with you - I don't want to convince anyone either. It's not as though I sell these products

But I would have had the same fear about protecting the paint, and now I'm a believer. To each his own - and however you wash your ///M - it's a great time to bond with it.
I think the technique and those rinseless/washless products are appropriate for cars that have dust or light amount of dirt. Now this may sound silly, but I will install a rope all across my garage and hang on it shower clear curtains so I can still use my pressure washer and foam gun inside my garage! Our winters here are rough and with my color MG it attracts dirt like a magnet! How's that for winter bonding

Back to the original topic, I think once a month touch less car wash is fine for the four winter months in my case, and in between hand wash with pressure gun/foam gun while its -30C outside
Appreciate 1