R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-02-2015, 12:19 AM   #1
PayamFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP YMB

UPDATE - BMS stage 1 issues

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar issues. I already searched all the JB4 and stage 1 posts, didn't see this exact issues, hopefully I didn't miss it. So I BMS stage 1 and BMS intakes installed. I live in South Ga and run 93 octane gas.

I have noticed that when I am in 4th (and sometimes 3rd) gear (6MT) when I get around 6500 rpm (+/- 200 rpm) I get this shuddering effect, almost as if the speed limiter is kicking in or its misfiring. No engine code. I shift to the next gear and no issues/power loss. Its really strange and annoying. I originally installed the intakes about 3 weeks prior to the stage 1, MAF is sitting nice and I have none of the rough idle issues that some people have.
I have about 3000 miles on the car.

I contacted BMS about this, and this was Terry's thoughts "stage 1 does not have fuel control like a JB4 so it can max out the fuel tims in cold weather in some care. Suggest lowering the boost gain from 4 psi to 3 psi or upgrading to a JB4."

Anyone else have any thoughts? Anyone with similar issues? I was thinking maybe it could have been bad fuel, but didn't really feel like engine knock, but not sure. I read somewhere in one thread (unrelated to any specific tune) about higher boost and incorrect plug gapping. Could this issue be related? What would I feel in this scenario? Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

PS - I love this car, it really is amazing.

EDIT:
In regards to sprak plugs read post #18 in this thread

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ght=spark+pugs

also this thread ...

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ght=spark+plug

post #7 in this thread:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ght=spark+plug

UPDATE - I removed the BMS stage 1 tune and problem is gone. I also noticed that it was happening in 2nd gear as well. Another strange thing I also noticed is that it also had this weird stuttering, kinda like a mini miss fire, around 3000 rpm as well that is now also gone. I am wondering if I got a defective unit. I'm going to contact BMS tomorrow and see what they think. Thanks everyone for the input.

UPDATE - issues fixed. Terry and Donnie were both helpful. Donnie thank you for fixing the MacOS software. Terry communicates very fast via email, almost like text. Appreciate the help. I ended up have to drop my boost to 3.5 and fixed the issue. I do like the adjustability of the boost. I actually think I'm going to fun 3.0 for now, until I get wider rubber in the rear, its a little hard to manage right now (don't get me wrong its a blast, just everyone is going to think I'm an a$$hole shaking my rear all over the street....

UPDATE - issue not fixed, dropped the boost to 2.0 and still happening.

UPDATE - I swapped back to stock intakes and still the same issue. Kinda stinks, the power from the stage one is great, but I don't like short shifting at 7000 to prevent the problem from happening ( I know the power band drops off, but still, its more fun to rev to redline....)

FINAL UPDATE - ISSUES FIXED - Final update because I just realized I never did update this thread I ended up flashing my ECU to the most recent update at BMW and that seems to have solved all my problems. For some reason my stock boost maps were much higher than everyone else's. Not sure why. Basically my car stock was already like map1. So when I went to run any additional map the boost was just too high and I was maxing out my fuel trims, car was insanely fast tho lol, got lucky nothing went wrong, stock DME is good about this obviously.

2018 F80 ZCP 6MT YMB/SO
2015 F82 M4 6MT AW/SO - SOLD

Last edited by PayamFSU; 04-07-2017 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2015, 12:33 AM   #2
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Got a aftermarket air intake? Think I read something about that recently here.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

He has the BMS intake.

Honestly, I'd recommend going to the JB4 at a minimum. It's a safer tune with more control and won't leave you blind.

You'll be able to datalog your vehicle and see how it's performing.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
Apollo_1092
SITH
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
From what I have gathered it seems like the intakes were affecting (or is it effecting?) the start up/idle of things. If you have the time I would take the intakes off and do some pulls and see if the issue remains. If it does then definitely follow Terry's advice and lower the boost (or upgrade to the JB4 if you have the disposable cash). Hopefully you get it figured out.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #5
Apollo_1092
SITH
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
He has the BMS intake.

Honestly, I'd recommend going to the JB4 at a minimum. It's a safer tune with more control and won't leave you blind.

You'll be able to datalog your vehicle and see how it's performing.
I thought that the JB4 map 1 and the BMS Stage 1 were literally the exact same tune, with the JB4 allowing you to data log/change maps.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo_1092 View Post
I thought that the JB4 map 1 and the BMS Stage 1 were literally the exact same tune, with the JB4 allowing you to data log/change maps.
I'm sure BMS can go into further detail then I can. From a performance standpoint they might be similar but the JB4 is an entirely different hardware system with more control and safety features built in.

As you are in your current situation, you have no idea what is wrong. Are you running out of fuel, or is it just your intake? None of us really know.

The only way to test would be to put the stock intake on and see what happens.

At least with the JB4 it has a USB for datalogging so you can view and look over datalogs and see how your car is running. With those datalogs, you can view sensors and likely come up with what is wrong without removing any hardware.

From those datalogs, you can make adjustments in the tune to optimize it as well.

That's why I recommend all my customers to consider the JB4 at a minimum. I'm not trying to make a sales pitch here. As an avid enthusiast and tuning guru, I like control and put safety of my engine as number 1.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #7
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo_1092 View Post
No they are only similar in output. The JB4 has a lot more control when hooked into the CAN System. The stage1 is a basic tune. I would do what Terry suggests and lower boost just to see if it has any changes in the higher RPM and then report back.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayamFSU View Post
Just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar issues. I already searched all the JB4 and stage 1 posts, didn't see this exact issues, hopefully I didn't miss it. So I BMS stage 1 and BMS intakes installed. I live in South Ga and run 93 octane gas.

I have noticed that when I am in 4th (and sometimes 3rd) gear (6MT) when I get around 6500 rpm (+/- 200 rpm) I get this shuddering effect, almost as if the speed limiter is kicking in or its misfiring. No engine code. I shift to the next gear and no issues/power loss. Its really strange and annoying. I originally installed the intakes about 3 weeks prior to the stage 1, MAF is sitting nice and I have none of the rough idle issues that some people have.
I have about 3000 miles on the car.

I contacted BMS about this, and this was Terry's thoughts "stage 1 does not have fuel control like a JB4 so it can max out the fuel tims in cold weather in some care. Suggest lowering the boost gain from 4 psi to 3 psi or upgrading to a JB4."

Anyone else have any thoughts? Anyone with similar issues? I was thinking maybe it could have been bad fuel, but didn't really feel like engine knock, but not sure. I read somewhere in one thread (unrelated to any specific tune) about higher boost and incorrect plug gapping. Could this issue be related? What would I feel in this scenario? Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

PS - I love this car, it really is amazing.
I recommend you either lower boost per Terry's suggestion or get the JB4

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 12:56 AM   #9
PayamFSU
Captain
Rep

Thanks to everyone for their input. The only reason I was wondering if something else was going on is because it seems a lot of people have this tune, but haven't heard of these symptoms before was seeing if anyone else had this experience.

Also anyone have any input in regards to incorrect gap plugs? Could the symptoms that I described be related? Just curious.

2018 F80 ZCP 6MT YMB/SO
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 09:46 AM   #10
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for their input. The only reason I was wondering if something else was going on is because it seems a lot of people have this tune, but haven't heard of these symptoms before was seeing if anyone else had this experience.

Also anyone have any input in regards to incorrect gap plugs? Could the symptoms that I described be related? Just curious.
Did you install some odd plugs recently?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #11
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Incorrect gap could definitely be a problem. Why would the gap on your plugs be incorrect?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #12
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Plugs can wear unevenly or even break. They can also be improperly gapped at the factory.

Pull your plugs and check them for proper gap and wear.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2015, 09:59 AM   #13
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Garage List
The problems with Burger stuff is not exactly confidence inspiring. Kind of feel like there stuff is beta tested by customers. Personally, I'd rather stay away.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2015, 10:28 AM   #14
WVUDrJay
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc3456
The problems with Burger stuff is not exactly confidence inspiring. Kind of feel like there stuff is beta tested by customers. Personally, I'd rather stay away.
There are a lot of Stage 1's and Jb4's out there without issue to be fair.
      11-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #15
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUDrJay View Post
There are a lot of Stage 1's and Jb4's out there without issue to be fair.
BMS tech support probably hit the nail on the head with this. Stage1 can't alter fuel trims directly, the JB4 and Dinan are the only piggybacks that can, and this sounds like a case of fuel trims maxing out, AFR going rich, causing misfiring. The fix with Stage1 is to lower the boost target slightly per BMS' suggestion. Or upgrade to a JB4 that has robust fuel control.

Mike
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #16
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

I feel it a little absurd seeing people who has issues with stage 1 being advised to buy a JB4, because people buy stage 1 for a milder, safer and easier install-and-forget tune as it's advertised.
Appreciate 4
      11-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #17
Gstone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 GT350, '15 M4 sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
I feel it a little absurd seeing people who has issues with stage 1 being advised to buy a JB4, because people buy stage 1 for a milder, safer and easier install-and-forget tune as it's advertised.
+1.
This describes me.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #18
mark5092
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C, 18 M3 ZCP, 20 Raptor

^^^And JB4 is over double the price for those that didn't want to spend that much!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #19
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Then follow the directions and lower the additive from 4.0 to 3.5 for your specific car, if it can't handle 4.0, with the Stage1.

If the purpose is a mild addition to power and easy to install then you are right makes little sense to install jb4 but it's just another option. The simplest solution is to drop boost by 0.5 like mentioned above.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #20
lmoretti
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 YMB

Quote:
Agreed, I was going to order one in the next few weeks. To be fair this is the first I have heard of anyone having issues with the Stage 1 "Buy a full JB4" isn't the right answer in mind when issues arise.
2005 G35S - SOLD
1988 RX7 TURBO II - SOLD but never forgotten
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #21
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmoretti View Post
Agreed, I was going to order one in the next few weeks. To be fair this is the first I have heard of anyone having issues with the Stage 1 "Buy a full JB4" isn't the right answer in mind when issues arise.
I guess the correct answer should have been get a JB4 if you want to run that boost additive. +4.0 as on that car it seems to max out the fuel trims.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #22
PayamFSU
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Incorrect gap could definitely be a problem. Why would the gap on your plugs be incorrect?
see label guy's quote below, I read on a couple of threads here in the forum in regards to increased boost level and incorrect plug gap issues exposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Did you install some odd plugs recently?

Mike
see above and below

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
Plugs can wear unevenly or even break. They can also be improperly gapped at the factory.

Pull your plugs and check them for proper gap and wear.
Would you feel "misfiring" with this at higher boost level and rpm ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
BMS tech support probably hit the nail on the head with this. Stage1 can't alter fuel trims directly, the JB4 and Dinan are the only piggybacks that can, and this sounds like a case of fuel trims maxing out, AFR going rich, causing misfiring. The fix with Stage1 is to lower the boost target slightly per BMS' suggestion. Or upgrade to a JB4 that has robust fuel control.

Mike
I think I may have to do this. I know I have to buy that additional cable. I am assuming I need windows based software to do this?

Also the question I really want to know, does the computer throw a code when it misfires? Because I don't have any engine warning codes when it happens.

Again thanks for everyone's input. I am by no means trying to bash the manufacturer, just trying to gather data and people's experience to make an informed decision... Also I am lazy so trying to trouble shoot at efficiently as possible.... lol

2018 F80 ZCP 6MT YMB/SO
Appreciate 0