BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

10-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #1
Bad Robot
No, dear, you wouldn't like driv.. LOOK! SQUIRREL!
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Sakhir/Black Merino

M4 Rear Bumper Assaulted by Mustang. Film at 11.

I hoped my first post would be more interesting than this one. But crap. It happened.

One week after buying my M4, in stop-and-go traffic, I got tattooed in the back by a '94 Mustang driver who forgot which pedal was the brakes. I'd post a picture, but can't quite figure out how to do that yet. It has something to do with reducing the size of the original image, I think. Sorry.

The rear bumper cover is gouged, one of the exhaust tips is cockeyed, and who knows what else is going on with sensors, cameras, and upstream on the exhaust system.

The offender admitted responsibility and was ticketed by the State Trooper. Repair cost is covered by their insurer, so that's not an issue to me. I'd appreciate any tips from the Forum about dealing with the BMW Certified body shop and the insurance company.

I could also use some assurances that BMW shops know something about paint matching. Thanks.
2015 M4, Sakhir/Black Merino, DCT, LEDs, 19-inch, Harmon-Kardon, Executive Package, Driver Assistance. Sit down. Buckle up. Mash that button yonder. Flick that lever to the right. Mash that other button on the steering wheel, twice. Now punch that pedallLLLAHHH!

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 05:27 PM   #2
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

Should be pretty straight forward. Fault was placed, their insurance is covering, the body shop takes care of the rest.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 05:31 PM   #3
g2g8969
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB M3

if it's a BMW certified collision center, you have nothing to worry about

They will only order OEM parts and paint
Mine was in the bumper area as well..they just ordered brand new bumper and 100% paint matched..mine was a mineral gray color

Good luck and glad you're not injured
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 08:48 AM   #4
Bad Robot
Rep

Thanks

Thanks. The perpetrator's insurance company has been good so far, no push back on making the car as new based on my satisfaction, and they have a good relationship with the body shop I selected. No drama yet. It's probably going to come down to how well the painter does his thing.
2015 M4, Sakhir/Black Merino, DCT, LEDs, 19-inch, Harmon-Kardon, Executive Package, Driver Assistance. Sit down. Buckle up. Mash that button yonder. Flick that lever to the right. Mash that other button on the steering wheel, twice. Now punch that pedallLLLAHHH!

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 11:35 AM   #5
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
Thanks. The perpetrator's insurance company has been good so far, no push back on making the car as new based on my satisfaction, and they have a good relationship with the body shop I selected. No drama yet. It's probably going to come down to how well the painter does his thing.
My only advice is that you shouldn't have to talk to his insurance company. A lot of times insurance companies try to talk with you directly in order to pursued you into accepting certain terms when settling a claim; automotive and bodily. I always have my own insurance company communicate everything to them... and in extreme cases, a lawyer.

It's good you took it to a BMW certified shop. Accept nothing less than perfection as Sakhir Orange might be a little difficult to match.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #6
Bad Robot
Rep

Thanks.

I've been impressed with my other car's insurance company, National General, so far. Their attitude is that they'll fix the car to my satisfaction at no cost to me, based solely on my approval, at any body shop I choose.

They sent their assessor to my house this morning and did a thorough evaluation of the damage. If they missed anything that turns up later, they'll cover that too.

Their evaluation was enough to have the body shop go ahead and order the pieces, so I don't even have to take the car to the body shop before the pieces are all there. My insurance company isn't really part of the issue.

I just hope it's not intern day at the body shop when it's time to spray the bumper cover...

Appreciate 0