Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

10-23-2015, 09:50 PM   #1
Mario_Kart
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328

paint protection film on cf roof.

to all those considering about getting a ppf installed on your cf roof. Think twice before getting it done or make sure the installer makes absolutely no cuts on the car itself. I had my cf roof wrapped with ppf and the installer went a little too deep with his blade and scratched up my cf roof upon very close examination. he didn't want to use the precut kit because he said it comes short. after I agreed to let him use bulk film, he assured me many times he will use care and wont cut into my car.

I don't even know what to do now, and I am just pissed off.

to all those wondering, yes, I did do my research and the installer does a lot of high end cars. he is not cheap and is not new to this. lesson learned, no matter how much research you do and how much good things you hear about an installer, shit can still go wrong.
Appreciate 3
      10-23-2015, 09:56 PM   #2
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Terrible news and sorry to hear this. You know I have to ask....who is the installer?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 09:57 PM   #3
moomeacow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

you should get a refund from him atleast, he damaged your car. I would dispute it with my CC company if I had to.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 10:00 PM   #4
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

On the one hand, you have the boss, who has built his business and takes pride in his expertise. Then you have his employees, who are looking for their check on Friday. You never expect the piano to fall off the crane onto your car. I hope you get it worked out with your guy. You said it was only evident under close examination. Probably nobody but you will notice. It will absolutely drive you insane, but try to roll with it.
Appreciate 3
      10-23-2015, 10:02 PM   #5
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Is there a magical blade out there that cuts vinyl/ppf but not paint? I never understood how a wrap worked without cutting into paint.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2015, 10:04 PM   #6
N54MPower
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast Cars

To the OP I have had clear bra on my cars for the last 14 years and never once did the installer cut the film on the car. If he/she was using a "good" kit they would never have to touch the car with a blade.

I just had clear bra installed on my hood, front of my CF roof and top of my trunk last Wednesday. All done in front of me without a blade touching my car and no marks. Hopefully they can compensate your for their incompetence.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 10:07 PM   #7
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54MPower View Post
To the OP I have had clear bra on my cars for the last 14 years and never once did the installer cut the film on the car. If he/she was using a "good" kit they would never have to touch the car with a blade.

I just had clear bra installed on my hood, front of my CF roof and top of my trunk last Wednesday. All done in front of me without a blade touching my car and no marks. Hopefully they can compensate your for their incompetence.
I'm assuming you had the precut film installed. Those don't require any cutting. However, like OP said, he went with the bulk film because the precut ones don't go all the way to the edge. If done correctly, the bulk film should be more seamless than the precut films. I just never understood how the bulk ones could be installed without cutting into the paint.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 10:17 PM   #8
N54MPower
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex o View Post
I'm assuming you had the precut film installed. Those don't require any cutting. However, like OP said, he went with the bulk film because the precut ones don't go all the way to the edge. If done correctly, the bulk film should be more seamless than the precut films. I just never understood how the bulk ones could be installed without cutting into the paint.
I had a precut installed but it goes around the edges of my fenders and hood. It all depends on the quality of the precut kit and the installer. My installer also does cars for Ralph Lauren so he can also do bulk film on older cars that they don't make kits for.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #9
Mario_Kart
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54MPower View Post
I had a precut installed but it goes around the edges of my fenders and hood. It all depends on the quality of the precut kit and the installer. My installer also does cars for Ralph Lauren so he can also do bulk film on older cars that they don't make kits for.
The precut kit for the roof does not wrap the front leading edge of the cf roof. He uses the program from xpel and that's what most ppl use.

I had suspicion of him cutting too deep and I really had to look up very very close with a flash light. Even then I was not able to confirm until I lift a little bit of the edge of the film.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #10
sashah60
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_Kart View Post
to all those considering about getting a ppf installed on your cf roof. Think twice before getting it done or make sure the installer makes absolutely no cuts on the car itself. I had my cf roof wrapped with ppf and the installer went a little too deep with his blade and scratched up my cf roof upon very close examination. he didn't want to use the precut kit because he said it comes short. after I agreed to let him use bulk film, he assured me many times he will use care and wont cut into my car.

I don't even know what to do now, and I am just pissed off.

to all those wondering, yes, I did do my research and the installer does a lot of high end cars. he is not cheap and is not new to this. lesson learned, no matter how much research you do and how much good things you hear about an installer, shit can still go wrong.
you can take it to a BMW Collision center and they can fix the roof. Mine actually got chipped by dealer during machine waxing and they repaired it...cant even tell the difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #11
Mario_Kart
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
On the one hand, you have the boss, who has built his business and takes pride in his expertise. Then you have his employees, who are looking for their check on Friday. You never expect the piano to fall off the crane onto your car. I hope you get it worked out with your guy. You said it was only evident under close examination. Probably nobody but you will notice. It will absolutely drive you insane, but try to roll with it.
The guy that did the wrap owns the place.

Yes, it's not very noticeable but I worry about it since it's a cf roof and if it will spread or the clear coat chipping off around it.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 10:24 PM   #12
Mario_Kart
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashah60 View Post
you can take it to a BMW Collision center and they can fix the roof. Mine actually got chipped by dealer during machine waxing and they repaired it...cant even tell the difference.

Thanks for the advice. But it's a long line that looks like a scratch. Not sure if it's best to just leave it as it shouldn't be too deep and it's right above the front windshield on the edge.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #13
sashah60
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G80 M3

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. But it's a long line that looks like a scratch. Not sure if it's best to just leave it as it shouldn't be too deep and it's right above the front windshield on the edge.
It probably just cut through the clear coat...if it looks bad it can be touched up by the collision center...otherwise leave it. Sucks when it happens to a new car, but hopefully they compensate you for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 10:43 PM   #14
Mario_Kart
Captain
Canada
Rep

So yeah. You won't see these razor cuts until you lift the film up. By then, it's like years from when it was installed and you might not even have the car. No more ppf for me, run the car naked and take the rock chips like a man.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 11:00 PM   #15
Mario_Kart
Captain
Canada
Rep

Here it is. Had to really zoom in and get the lighting right. I am just warning those that wants to get a ppf done. You will only see this once the film is removed. If the film is on there, you really can't see this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 11:18 PM   #16
moomeacow
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here it is. Had to really zoom in and get the lighting right. I am just warning those that wants to get a ppf done. You will only see this once the film is removed. If the film is on there, you really can't see this.
lol i would be so pissed if someone did that to my car but i'm super anal about these things. I would tell him to refund my money if he doesn't I would dispute it with my CC
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 11:21 PM   #17
///F80M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex o View Post
Is there a magical blade out there that cuts vinyl/ppf but not paint? I never understood how a wrap worked without cutting into paint.
It's called knifeless tape. Most installers use it when cutting vinyl on the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 11:22 PM   #18
///F80M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why didn't they just cut the vinyl an inch longer and wrap the edge? Makes no sense to cut it there.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 11:22 PM   #19
Mario_Kart
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomeacow View Post
lol i would be so pissed if someone did that to my car but i'm super anal about these things. I would tell him to refund my money if he doesn't I would dispute it with my CC
It's not even about the money right now. I don't even know what to do with this mess. Do I really want to have a body shop relearn the roof even if they are bmw certified? Or is my only option to replace the roof completely?

Sorry for the rant. But I am just really pissed, angry, unhappy, disappointed and so on....right now
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 11:28 PM   #20
Mario_Kart
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///F80M3 View Post
Why didn't they just cut the vinyl an inch longer and wrap the edge? Makes no sense to cut it there.
The roof is too big for their plotter to cut. So they had to order a precut piece from xpel directly. They did wrap the edge and from what I read online, you pretty muxh have to cut on the car when using bulk film.

I am just giving ppl a heads up that most ppl won't know the razor cut into the clear until the ppf is removed. That's why it most likely happen more than ppl think. You might think you are getting a great install....think again.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 11:30 PM   #21
moomeacow
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The roof is too big for their plotter to cut. So they had to order a precut piece from xpel directly. They did wrap the edge and from what I read online, you pretty muxh have to cut on the car when using bulk film.

I am just giving ppl a heads up that most ppl won't know the razor cut into the clear until the ppf is removed. That's why it most likely happen more than ppl think. You might think you are getting a great install....think again.
if he didn't cut to deep maybe they can buff it out, getting a new roof would suck
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 11:33 PM   #22
///F80M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Honestly, there are many ways to not cut on the car but they took the easy way out. Also, he didn't fully wrap the edge and that's why you have a cut line there.

Last edited by ///F80M3; 10-23-2015 at 11:41 PM..
Appreciate 0