proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

10-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #1
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Nardo E92 '15 Fashion F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Mode Carbon: So easy a 9 yr. old girl could do it...

I recently picked up the full suite of products for my F80 from the guys over at Mode Carbon. Its no secret that I have used their products on my cars in the past and they have always shown me lots of love on social media, at car shows, etc. I have always had superb fitment and quality from all of their products so I was really shocked to hear a negative review recently about their fitment and quality from someone who claimed to have been doing "car stuff" for decades.

I will absolutely acknowledge that carbon fiber is a very delicate material and there can be problems with breakage during shipping, minor imperfections in the weave, etc. However, the consistency with Mode Carbon's products has always been the reason I continue to go back; not to mention their dedication to customer service.

So as a challenge this weekend, I had my most inexperienced tech install my new Mode Carbon Trophy R2 Diffuser. Granted my tech has been in the car industry since birth, but she only has 9 years of experience under her belt... because she's f*cking 9!!

Now listen, the reason you can have a 9 year old install the diffuser is because there isn't much to it. There are 4 screws that require an 8mm socket. Its not rocket science... although we hope our daughter will become a rocket scientist.

First I had her remove the 4 screws from the OEM painted diffuser piece. After she removed the 4 screws, she had trouble removing the OEM plastic piece because again she is 9 and her muscles aren't developed yet. So I helped her yank out the OEM piece and maneuver around the clips.

She started to mock up the Mode Carbon diffuser and as expected everything lined up and fit perfectly. Before installing the diffuser she removed the R2 extra fin which has 4 phillips screws holding it to the R1 portion. Removing it is important so that you can access the 2 screws located underneath the diffuser in between the right and left mufflers.

Once the R2 portion is removed, all she had to do was screw back in the (4) 8mm screws that she removed from the stock piece and the R1 diffuser was installed! The whole thing took her about 15 minutes... because she's f*cking 9. I would imagine anyone with an ounce of technical skill could install this thing in 5-8 minutes flat.

I actually liked the look of the R1 style so much that we decided not to install the extra fin which would make the piece an R2. Instead I touched up the 4 silver screws with a little flat black paint and SHE re-installed them. I like that with the Mode Carbon R2 you can actually get two different looks with one purchase.

After she finished the R2 rear diffuser I sent her back out to play hide and go seek with her friends and proceeded to install the Trophy S1 front splitter on my own. I doubt my daughter could have tackled this one on her own because she's f*cking 9 and her arms aren't long enough to hold up the splitter to the vehicle while attaching the provided hardware.

The Trophy S1 lines up perfectly to the OEM holes and Mode Carbon provides replacement hardware which is twice as long as the OEM pieces to secure the splitter in place. I decided not to use any 3M tape on the install because in all honesty, it isn't really needed because the fitment is that good.

In the end I am very happy with the outcome and will say there were absolutely NO fitment or quality issues.

I have several more pieces coming from Mode Carbon so I will keep this thread updated as everything comes in and is installed. I might even start paying my 9 year old more allowance if she will become my full-time installer.

Last edited by MRG Race Co; 10-19-2015 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 11
      10-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
AW BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 SS2 F80/18 AVUS BLUE F80

The car and the pieces look great, you and your daughter did a excellent job on the install.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #3
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Well yeah, but just wait til she buys a convertible and feels entitled to having the company owner hand deliver it to her door. Those skills will disappear in a hurry.
Appreciate 2
      10-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #4
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted
Well yeah, but just wait til she buys a convertible and feels entitled to having the company owner hand deliver it to her door. Those skills will disappear in a hurry.
My daughter knows better than to buy a vert lol jk... On a serious note she is more into cars than I was at her age and she's always helping out in the garage.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2015, 09:08 PM   #5
JoNaH
Captain
Rep
Drives: .

That's awesome!
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Although I am happy for your fitment, and you have a very cute kid, it seems as though you are saying there were no fitment issues with the other piece and the other person is an idiot. I take offense to that, as anybody can get a bad piece, and I know that you know that.

At least you are transparent enough to say that you have been using Mode Carbon for years... and still buy from them. Waiting for Sam to "appreciate" your post in 3-2-1.

Edit: ...and right on queue, here's Sam.
Appreciate 7
      10-18-2015, 09:31 PM   #7
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn
Although I am happy for your fitment, and you have a very cute kid, it seems as though you are saying there were no fitment issues with the other piece and the other person is an idiot. I take offense to that, as anybody can get a bad piece, and I know that you know that.

At least you are transparent enough to say that you have been using Mode Carbon for years... and still buy from them. Waiting for Sam to "appreciate" your post in 3-2-1.

I never said he was an idiot. I just know my daughter is smart and technically savvy and perhaps has picked up more in her 9 years around cars than some others have. I'm just trying to help others who may feel that it's difficult to install this stuff to realize it's really quite simple and doesn't take 25 years of experience to use a 8mm socket wrench.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2015, 09:31 PM   #8
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post

All he did is demonstrate, in his own thread, how easy it was to install a diffuser from the manufacturer. You seem to take it very personally, and show up to draw your conclusion in a completely unrelated thread to some "other person." I can see why Sam shows up...to thank a good customer. Why you feel compelled to make it a photo finish with him, well, I'm sure it couldn't be an overwhelming need to have the last word.
Appreciate 2
      10-18-2015, 09:41 PM   #9
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
All he did is demonstrate, in his own thread, how easy it was to install a diffuser from the manufacturer. You seem to take it very personally, and show up to draw your conclusion in a completely unrelated thread to some "other person." I can see why Sam shows up...to thank a good customer. Why you feel compelled to make it a photo finish with him, well, I'm sure it couldn't be an overwhelming need to have the last word.
The purpose of this thread is obvious to me, as I'm sure it is to others. You are welcome to your own opinion, which I respect. However, I disagree with you.
Appreciate 6
      10-18-2015, 09:46 PM   #10
Bashar368
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 green

Good job Chad. I love the new whip
      10-18-2015, 09:48 PM   #11
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashar368
Thanks brother... How you been?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 09:52 PM   #12
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
The purpose of this thread is obvious to me, as I'm sure it is to others. You are welcome to your own opinion, which I respect. However, I disagree with you.
In 100% honesty, the point of this thread was to showcase the quality and fitment of Mode Carbon's products. People always hear the negative reviews but very rarely do people say positive things. My goal is to bring some perspective and balance to a negative review.

If more happy customers posted their feedback, the negative feedback would seem like the exception instead of the rule.
Appreciate 6
      10-18-2015, 09:53 PM   #13
Bashar368
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 green

Quote:
Originally Posted by alynM3
Quote:
Just trying to raise 3 kids and run a business. Did you put a lift in your garage to park both cars

How is everything with you
      10-18-2015, 09:57 PM   #14
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alynM3
Quote:
Just trying to raise 3 kids and run a business. Did you put a lift in your garage to park both cars
No the lift has been there for a while but also turns my two car garage into a one car lol.

Hope to run into you sometime soon.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2015, 10:05 PM   #15
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Quote:

The purpose of the thread was pretty clear, and I also too, offense to it. Maybe it wasn't meant that way, but the quote of "someone who has supposedly been doing car stuff for years" and "so easy a 9 year old could do it" seems to place the blame squarely on the other guy, rather than the other product.

Pretty pathetic if you ask me, if that's what the intent was.

So someone who buys a lot of MC stuff and by his own admission, "gets a lot of love from them" posts a thread saying "figment of MC products is so good even a 9 year old can do it" seems like a pretty transparent attempt at damage control over someone else who got a crappy product.

I have no dog in the fight, don't know the vendor, but that's the way it looks from the outside. If that wasn't the intent, my bad, but that's the way it looks.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2015, 10:14 PM   #16
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Quote:
Quote:

The purpose of the thread was pretty clear, and I also too, offense to it. Maybe it wasn't meant that way, but the quote of "someone who has supposedly been doing car stuff for years" and "so easy a 9 year old could do it" seems to place the blame squarely on the other guy, rather than the other product.

Pretty pathetic if you ask me, if that's what the intent was.

So someone who buys a lot of MC stuff and by his own admission, "gets a lot of love from them" posts a thread saying "figment of MC products is so good even a 9 year old can do it" seems like a pretty transparent attempt at damage control over someone else who got a crappy product.

I have no dog in the fight, don't know the vendor, but that's the way it looks from the outside. If that wasn't the intent, my bad, but that's the way it looks.
Sorry you took offense. Some of my comments were a bit tongue in cheek but as stated the reason for the post is to show my satisfaction and appreciation for Mode's products and customer service. Consider this the equivalent of a 5 star yelp review
Appreciate 2
      10-18-2015, 10:20 PM   #17
jballs16
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 RS6, RR LWB, Raptor

Mode's reputation speaks for itself. They've always delivered quality products and excellent customer support. Sam doesn't really need a tacky, classless thread like this, which is purposely insulting one of his other customers, to defend his product.

Last edited by jballs16; 10-18-2015 at 10:35 PM..
Appreciate 3
      10-18-2015, 10:42 PM   #18
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:

I sort of agree with this. It is said that the purpose of this thread was to "just provide a positive review" because there are so many negative ones....
I disagree, firstly there are way more positive reviews in the forum for products and vendors than there are negative ones and secondly if that is the "true" intent than it confirms Larryn's post....

Negative experiences to me are more important than positive ones because they reveal issues that may plague buyers and more importantly, how the company deals with after purchase customer service. Quasi-questionable reviews is how we discovered that carbon diffusers made the kick open trunk function inoperable.

Nonetheless, great review and photos, best I've seen for this diffuser imo but could have been in better taste to leave the "so easy a (caveman)/kid could do it" blindfolded-one handed blahblahblah theme out of it.....I would never even post my kids online, but that's me. However, separating the referral to another thread, this was a great way to spend time with your daughter.
I think the photography really shows the diffuser in great lighting which I haven't seen before. Can't wait to get one.

Last edited by Blksnowflake; 10-18-2015 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 10:43 PM   #19
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jballs16
Mode's reputation speaks for itself. They've always delivered quality products and excellent customer support. Sam doesn't really need a tacky, classless thread like this, which is purposely insulting one of his other customers, to defend his product.
Lol I've been called a lot of things in my life but classless and tacky is a new one. Thank you for being my first
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 10:48 PM   #20
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake
Quote:

I sort of agree with this. It is said that the purpose of this thread was to "just provide a positive review" because there are so many negative ones....
I disagree, firstly there are way more positive reviews in the forum for products and vendors than there are negative ones and secondly if that is the "true" intent than it confirms Larryn's post to an extent....

Negative experiences to me are more important than positive ones because they reveal issues that may plague buyers and more importantly, how the company deals with after purchase customer service. Quasi-questionable reviews is how we discovered that carbon diffusers made the kick open trunk function inoperable.

Nonetheless, great review and photos, best I've seen for this diffuser imo but could have been in better taste to leave the "so easy a caveman/kid could do it" blindfolded-one handed blahblahblah theme out of it.....I would never even post my kids online, but that's me. However, separating the referral to another thread, this was a great way to spend time with your daughter.
I think the photography really shows the diffuser in great lighting which I haven't seen before. Can't wait to get one.
on a side note wanted to say that the "kick" for the trunk is still operable with this diffuser.

I'm not sure my daughter could have done it blindfolded or with only one hand though, that's asking a lot of a 9 year old
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 10:57 PM   #21
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alynM3 View Post
on a side note wanted to say that the "kick" for the trunk is still operable with this diffuser.

I'm not sure my daughter could have done it blindfolded or with only one hand though, that's asking a lot of a 9 year old
That's good to hear.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 11:22 PM   #22
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@ModeCarbon
Alyn will be a true car chick one day.
Yeah I know... It scares me what she will want her first car to be lol.

Thanks for everything on this Sam, I'm looking forward to getting my other pieces. Hoping they are as nice as these.
Appreciate 1