BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-08-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
Rocket_Rod
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 & M2 F87

Garage List
M3 World Catback Exhaust

Short video of the M3 World Catback exhaust fitted to an otherwise OEM E92 M3.

It's recorded on a GoPro Hero 4 using an Edutige ETM-008 external mic.

I think this video captures the sound of the system pretty well.
I've had it for about 2 months now. It's a significant step up from the OEM sound; in both volume and "throatiness".

Enjoy.....

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
That's great Rod, great vid, really captures the sound well and is very accurate as to how it sounds from outside the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
American Dave
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
needs test pipes
Jerez Black 2008 6MT with Borla Atak Exhaust/ M3 World X Pipe and Test Pipes/ aFe Pro Stage 2 Intake / 19" Advan DZ-DF Forged Wheels wrapped in ContiSport Contact 5P 245/35/19 Fronts & 285/30/19 Rears/ KW Var 3 Coilovers / BPM Sports Stage 2 Tuned/ VAC Rod Bearing Replacement / Throttle Body Actuator Gear Set
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 10:06 PM   #4
Rocket_Rod
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dave View Post
needs test pipes
If Test Pipes are gonna make it louder, I might skip it.

I'll be taking the beast to the track in a couple of weeks and I'll have the car mic'd up so it'll be interesting to see how it sounds at full song.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 10:13 PM   #5
American Dave
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
torque gains with test pipes are well worth any small increase in that sweet sound of V8 grunt
Jerez Black 2008 6MT with Borla Atak Exhaust/ M3 World X Pipe and Test Pipes/ aFe Pro Stage 2 Intake / 19" Advan DZ-DF Forged Wheels wrapped in ContiSport Contact 5P 245/35/19 Fronts & 285/30/19 Rears/ KW Var 3 Coilovers / BPM Sports Stage 2 Tuned/ VAC Rod Bearing Replacement / Throttle Body Actuator Gear Set
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 11:32 PM   #6
cplagz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 AlpineWeiss 3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
1986 BMW 325  [0.00]
No comfort access ?

+1 to this is pretty much how the exhaust sounds. I'll mount up my GoPro in the skeleton case inside the cabin this arvo and take a video too, see how different it sounds.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 11:41 PM   #7
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP

Cool video and nice mini drift right before the speed bumps.

Also, you're driving on the wrong side of the road!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 12:24 AM   #8
Rocket_Rod
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
Cool video and nice mini drift right before the speed bumps.

Also, you're driving on the wrong side of the road!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-09-2015, 03:06 AM   #9
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dave View Post
torque gains with test pipes are well worth any small increase in that sweet sound of V8 grunt
Here's a fly past at Morgan Park last weekend with a full X pipe (no resonators) with the same rear section, valves open just cruising past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=Sj5X83zAznY
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2015, 07:08 AM   #10
PB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Get the test pipes and tune first. The extra performance trumps the sound. It will be a bit louder anyway. The exhaust comes next.

Dave I believe you have an M3 World T Shirt for me in your shipment form Dave Dee. An M line up at coffee meet would be good.

Cheers

Phil
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 02:32 PM   #11
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post
Get the test pipes and tune first. The extra performance trumps the sound. It will be a bit louder anyway. The exhaust comes next.

Dave I believe you have an M3 World T Shirt for me in your shipment form Dave Dee. An M line up at coffee meet would be good.

Cheers

Phil
I sent a few shirts to Dave H for the WA crew and will check with Dave today o

I think for quite a few the sound is very important and quite some time has gone into getting that particular sound. The stock X pipe keeps the system quiet enough for use as a DD without valves keeping the whole system simple, but yes you are right, the ECU tuning does make a big difference without taking away from the OE feel of the car.
Sound seems to be the biggest focus now on opposing cars to the F8X series as in the C63S and the enjoyment of the car is greatly enhanced by a good exhaust note
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #12
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee View Post
I sent a few shirts to Dave H for the WA crew and will check with Dave today o

I think for quite a few the sound is very important and quite some time has gone into getting that particular sound. The stock X pipe keeps the system quiet enough for use as a DD without valves keeping the whole system simple, but yes you are right, the ECU tuning does make a big difference without taking away from the OE feel of the car.
Sound seems to be the biggest focus now on opposing cars to the F8X series as in the C63S and the enjoyment of the car is greatly enhanced by a good exhaust note
Sounds great Dave. Good job!
      10-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #13
DBE
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

Sounds heaps better than the Megan I just took off mine Rod. Hows it sound up top ?

As an interim measure I've gone back to stock exhaust with 2 pipe mod and resonated test pipes

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 10:00 PM   #14
Rocket_Rod
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSEA View Post
Sounds heaps better than the Megan I just took off mine Rod. Hows it sound up top ?
It sounds much the same the whole way through the rev range.
The best way to describe it is "old school muscle".

I'm trying different set ups before my track day in a couple of weeks.
Then I'll post a Vid from Sydney Motorsport Park.
Down the main straight, there are three redline rev changes which should give a good indication of sound throughout the rev range....
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 11:30 PM   #15
Rajvosa
Major
Rep

Dave, would be good idea to get into E46 M3 market and make some exhaust options as well plenty of E46's around!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 11:48 PM   #16
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvosa View Post
Dave, would be good idea to get into E46 M3 market and make some exhaust options as well plenty of E46's around!
It's a great idea but even getting this setup was a huge job. The exhausts are made from a jig based on a factory exhaust then with months of tweaking to get the sound right. I'd need an E46 M3 to do this and lots of time, and the ability to constantly drive the car to test it under all conditions

The original reason for doing the M3 setup was frustration at the prices charged, the falling dollar and lack of availability of a local product. It will take quite a few more sales before coming close to covering the time and funds invested in getting this system right so another venture at this time is not on the cards
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 11:52 PM   #17
Rajvosa
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDee View Post
It's a great idea but even getting this setup was a huge job. The exhausts are made from a jig based on a factory exhaust then with months of tweaking to get the sound right. I'd need an E46 M3 to do this and lots of time, and the ability to constantly drive the car to test it under all conditions

The original reason for doing the M3 setup was frustration at the prices charged, the falling dollar and lack of availability of a local product. It will take quite a few more sales before coming close to covering the time and funds invested in getting this system right so another venture at this time is not on the cards
Fair enough! Needless to say, if I get into another E9X you ll be the first person I speak to
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2015, 07:01 AM   #18
CC_Arnie
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Gents - I have the M3 World exhaust (which I have shared my thoughts on above). Mine is without the valves and am considering putting valves on to deal with my perceived low end droneyness (1500-1900rpm). Anyone have the exhaust with the valves willing to comment on how much the valves deal with the low end bass?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 07:29 AM   #19
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC_Arnie View Post
Gents - I have the M3 World exhaust (which I have shared my thoughts on above). Mine is without the valves and am considering putting valves on to deal with my perceived low end droneyness (1500-1900rpm). Anyone have the exhaust with the valves willing to comment on how much the valves deal with the low end bass?
As you know I have a valved exhaust system and have done for years. Valves will attenuate bass in several ways

At low RPM the large volume of the exhaust system does not evacuate the gasses quickly but if you put a valve in each pipe the gas flow increases dramatically. This has a similar effect to putting a finger over a garden hose... the reduced area causes a higher pressure flow. Slow moving gases cause resonance at a lower frequency, when you speed the flow up the frequency changes to a slightly higher pitch. Same effect as a valve on a trumpet, the lower pitch is attenuated, at higher RPM the tone ill not change much

Putting a valve in the system causes a reversal of flow and has a noise cancelling effect by producing sound waves out of phase

In your case you can test by blocking off the OUTER 2 tips, the design of the mufflers in these systems will give more silencing gains

You can retrofit valves or send them back for valves to be fitted but it's more of a challenge on the E90 as the adjustment is 44mm shorter than a coupe

Valves are very effective, we use vacuum valves which are used as OE by major manufacturers, electric solenoids can overheat and fail

Valves do quieten the system down some, but are more effective at removing the low end bass.
Complete elimination of certain frequencies can be done by designing hemholz resonators but this can be costly and time consuming and can change the tone of the exhaust.

All this is subjective and whist some are very sensitive to low frequency others enjoy the loud or louder systems. Let me know if you need help, you have my number
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 07:42 AM   #20
CC_Arnie
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Thanks for the very quick reply DaveDee - very informative (as usual).
Part of the reason I put it out there as a question was to see if anyone has the valves and has a subjective opinion on how much low-end bass they actually kill off.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 06:17 AM   #21
Ski1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Dave - in the top video he mentions M3 World Catback exhaust. Your website has several options but that one is not specifically listed. Which one is it?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 03:11 PM   #22
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski1 View Post
Dave - in the top video he mentions M3 World Catback exhaust. Your website has several options but that one is not specifically listed. Which one is it?
The term catback is not used on the website, its the rear section.
There are several options, the ones listed all come with ceramic coated 90mm dual wall tips, variations are Xtreme (insane) and regular or regular with valves

We can do a race version on request. The tips are included in the price but can be deleted.
Appreciate 0