Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

10-08-2015, 07:48 AM   #1
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

City detailing

Hi all - I live in a high rise in the city and unfortunately my building doesnt have an area where residents can wash their own car. Is it reasonable for me to go to one of those coin ops, wash with their equipment and then dry/detail with my own stuff?

I'm kind of hesitant because I have no idea what kind of soap/wash that thing sprays out and if it's actually clean.

Should I bring my own sponge/mit and scrub her down? (I found this sweet mit https://www.detailersdomain.com/coll...l-wash-mitt-v2) or just use the pressure wash?

Also, what are the must have products ?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 10:44 PM   #2
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

I go to the coin op to use the pressure wand. Then I pull out of the bay and do a Optimum No Rinse wash on the side. Of course if you go 2 months between washes, it's probably not a good idea to do the ONR.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2015, 07:53 AM   #3
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex o View Post
I go to the coin op to use the pressure wand. Then I pull out of the bay and do a Optimum No Rinse wash on the side. Of course if you go 2 months between washes, it's probably not a good idea to do the ONR.
Wow this stuff looks legit. I definitely do not go 2 months between washes lol
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to pick up a bottle and see how it goes
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
Wow this stuff looks legit. I definitely do not go 2 months between washes lol
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to pick up a bottle and see how it goes
I think ONR was designed specifically for people like you. Just make sure to get a bunch of good quality microfiber towels, for both the wash and the dry.

I would not use anything at a coin-op car wash except maybe their pressurized water.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 08:00 AM   #5
VitaminTee
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I'm in the same boat, just bought some ONR last night! I'll update after my first wash.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminTee View Post
I'm in the same boat, just bought some ONR last night! I'll update after my first wash.

Please do!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 04:34 PM   #7
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post

Please do!
Know this thread is a little old, but make sure to buy a couple of spray bottles, then dilute the ONR or any other waterless wash.

You'll stretch it much longer; bottle should last you at least 10 washes if not more, as it doesn't take much. Waterless wash is also a very good idea in the winter when it may be too cold to use a hose.

buy a large pack of high pile microfiber towels for the wash; basically only one towel per panel. Chemical guys makes a good microfiber detergent that can bring the towels back to life. I use 3-4 capfuls of the stuff along with a little Tide to wash about 10-15 towels at a time.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2015, 07:54 PM   #8
MrSmileyDC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Garage List
2016 BMW F82  [0.00]
I ended up buying this.

Ivation Multipurpose Portable Spray Washer w/ Water Tank - Runs on Built-In Rechargeable Battery, Home Plug & 12v Car Plug - Integrated Roller Wheels https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R0GBKR4..._keSnwb4TVPH2Q

It takes me two fills. One to wash the wheels and spray the car off and a second fill to rinse. I also use the two bucket wash method. Might possibly pickup a second rinse bucket to use for my wheel cleaning tools or just have extra water so I can refill the water tank so I don't have to go back inside for more water.

ED 8/18 - PCD 10/19 | 2016 F82 M4 6MT | Alpine White | CF Roof | CF Trim | Black Extended Leather | Executive Package | Lighting Package | Adaptive M Suspension | 19" 437M Black Wheels
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 07:55 PM   #9
VitaminTee
Private
Rep

Just did my first wash this afternoon and it seemed to work pretty well. I put in about 2 caps full in 2 gallons of water. I used a microfiber towel and just wiped off the dirt and then immediately dried. I found it worked best when the cloth was generously wet, especially over the dirtier parts. I have to admit that it was pretty strange washing without any soap suds.

I think for the next time I'm going to use a microfiber glove and maybe put in a little more ONR.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #10
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminTee
Just did my first wash this afternoon and it seemed to work pretty well. I put in about 2 caps full in 2 gallons of water. I used a microfiber towel and just wiped off the dirt and then immediately dried. I found it worked best when the cloth was generously wet, especially over the dirtier parts. I have to admit that it was pretty strange washing without any soap suds.

I think for the next time I'm going to use a microfiber glove and maybe put in a little more ONR.
Your plan for next time will just be wasting product; your money, but spend it wisely.

Only thing you need to do next time is use more than one towel, fold them four ways and only use one side per panel.

Use a couple of towels for drying that are extra plush. Don't overthink it, just don't half ass it and you'll get the results you need.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 05:59 AM   #11
VitaminTee
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
Your plan for next time will just be wasting product; your money, but spend it wisely.

Only thing you need to do next time is use more than one towel, fold them four ways and only use one side per panel.

Use a couple of towels for drying that are extra plush. Don't overthink it, just don't half ass it and you'll get the results you need.
Thanks for the advice. I guess it's just a mental thing because I literally felt like I was wiping the car down with a wet rag, there was no soapy lubrication like when I normally wash a car.
Appreciate 0