Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

10-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
manticor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 built july 1...........

Cloudy ass day... Xpel and Modesta.

Gota look at the rear quarter on this pic. Loving the results
Thanks Phil!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-09-2015, 09:26 AM   #2
simpelton
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Xpel on the whole car? What's the film like to touch compared to the metal? What's the difference in look before xpel and after? Artificial shine or can't tell any difference?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
manticor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpelton
Xpel on the whole car? What's the film like to touch compared to the metal? What's the difference in look before xpel and after? Artificial shine or can't tell any difference?
Expel everywhere but trunk/rear bumper and doors(although trunk has some at the entry and doors have a strip on the bottom for rocks), xpel has a different feel from paint yes... To me not as smooth feeling. 99% can't notice the xpel is on the car, gotta look hard. On a white car shine of modesta isn't going to be as noticeable like on a black car...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

thanks for posting it up ; )
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 10:18 AM   #5
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMBSSM4

I have xpel on all painted surfaces. everywhere the edge can be wrapped it is.

it is a bit more "sticky" than bare paint. When you wash you don't notice, but waxing, there is maybe 5% more stickiness/friction. Since this is a plastic and not a cured paint, that should make sense.

Most people can't tell because they are not looking for it. those that look for it can't tell usually because they look at the normal places for a line (front fender to front door) but in my case, that is wrapped.

How you can tell is by touching the A pillar for the edge or the top of the mirror where there is a seam.

Also, at certain light levels (like in a garage or under artificial light) and at specific angles you can see what I call Kraising where there looks to be blemish lines in the XPEL. there are a few spots but again you have to be looking at certain angles and within a foot or two of the car.

Also, some people can tell because my rear quarters don't have the factory piece since the whole car is covered (including the whole rear quarters, bumper etc.)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #6
simpelton
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thanks, very informative, if you both had to do it again, would you? I'm thinking of doing the entire car, suntek.
Sounds like you can only tell by touch, certain lighting and angels or edges. Sounds reasonable
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
manticor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpelton
Thanks, very informative, if you both had to do it again, would you? I'm thinking of doing the entire car, suntek.
Sounds like you can only tell by touch, certain lighting and angels or edges. Sounds reasonable
If I "had" to, I'd do the entire car... Maybe in the matte, xpel stealth. Then just do a sealant and skip the modesta. But only if I had to, and then it would be to feel like a different car lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 11:26 PM   #8
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMBSSM4

it depends on the car. I rarely buy new and I own my cars outright and for 5+ years. The paint will be the same in 5 years with 40k miles on it as it was new. Did I really need to do the trunk? no. doors yes. hood bumper etc. yes.

It was expensive, so I'd only do it again on a daily driver that was new and expensive. I went out and bought a used Maserati, probably just the front clip. a non-daily driver, no, just the front clip.
Appreciate 0