Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

09-12-2015, 09:19 PM   #1
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Detailing Chem List, Looking for suggestions...

Hey All,

I like the car to be clean and shine, but not spend too much time on it. I've been using these products for a while and they seem to do a good enough job (know for sure it's not the "best" stuff or methods...).

With that, thought I'd check with the forum experts on new suggestions since I haven't kept up with new detailing / cleaning trends. Let me know what you think!

EXTERIOR
-Klasse AIO (once every 3 months)
-Meguair's Ultimate Quik Wax (generally after a car wash)
-Zaino Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal (once in a while for extra shine, but using AIO first to clean the paint as best as possible)

INTERIOR
-Zaino Leather Cleaner (once every 3 months, sometimes every month for driver's seat)
-Zaino Leather Creme (once every 3 months)

WHEELS
-Sonax Wheel Cleaner sometimes
-Wheel Protectant of some kind (so brake dust doesn't accumulate instantly...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 10:30 PM   #2
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Ok...my opinion, fwiw from an admitted OCD clean car nut without portfolio.

I used to be a Zaino zealot, but I think they're too specialized and add extra steps onto everything, are overpriced, and are no longer the best out there.

You mentioned the Meguiars "after a wash." Depends on what you mean. If it's after a wash at the local machine wash, doesn't make any difference. Your finish will get worse. If you're not hand washing it, the right way, use whatever you want.

Interior. I think the Zaino smells bad, and is really oily. Again, my opinion. Lots of guys here do the Leather masters system, and they like it. I used it, and it was too complicated for me. I tried Adam's cleaner/treatment, and find it easier (and cheaper)

Sonax is the perennial leader for wheel cleaners. I used it for years. I tried Adam's deep wheel cleaner, and it's just better. Cheaper. Foams up so I use less of it. Cleans at least as well. And smells 7,348% better than sonax.

Again, my opinion. Love my zen car cleaning time, and looking at my masterpiece when I'm done. Use what gives you the most happiness. And enjoy the hell out of it.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2015, 07:11 AM   #3
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
Again, my opinion. Love my zen car cleaning time, and looking at my masterpiece when I'm done. Use what gives you the most happiness. And enjoy the hell out of it.
Cool, thanks for the advice and I'm thinking LMasters and Adam's are things I will try.

As for car wash - self hand wash ideally, or full touchless when I'm in a rush. A car wash (whether hand or machine with scrubbers, will never touch my car...). These hand car wash places always say they are careful, reality is, just takes one mistake and there's swirl or long scratch from a micro pebble in the mf.

It's a black car, so you can imagine how careful I have to be...ha.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

Ive never used Collinite products, but have heard really good things about them. So I'm going to try out their waxes. Still on the hunt for a really good sealant. The detailing guru on this forum, Money2536, seems to like Menzerna Power Lock. May try that and their polishes in a few months.

This detailing/car care experience is like an obsession. The end result of countless hours of garage solitude, is definitely the most rewarding and satisfying feeling, as you admire your finished product.

And I totally agree with the 3rd party washes. I'd rather be accountable for my own lack of preparation/actions (dirty towels, lack of proper dirt/crap removal, etc) than a facility that really only cares about volume/pumping in cars in and out for washes!

Happy washing!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Sonax is the perennial leader for wheel cleaners. I used it for years. I tried Adam's deep wheel cleaner, and it's just better. Cheaper. Foams up so I use less of it. Cleans at least as well. And smells 7,348% better than sonax.
I haven't tried the Adam's deep wheel cleaner, so your comparison with Sonax (which is what I use) makes me curious. However, did you use Sonax Full Effect or Sonax Plus?
      09-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #6
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
Cool, thanks for the advice and I'm thinking LMasters and Adam's are things I will try.

As for car wash - self hand wash ideally, or full touchless when I'm in a rush. A car wash (whether hand or machine with scrubbers, will never touch my car...). These hand car wash places always say they are careful, reality is, just takes one mistake and there's swirl or long scratch from a micro pebble in the mf.

It's a black car, so you can imagine how careful I have to be...ha.
Well alrighty then. Nothing looks better than a black car when it's clean. And nothing shows swirls and paint imperfections like a black car either. there are lots of guys on here who know about just about every product on the market, so if you ask, I'm sure you'll get answers. I just recently got guidance on a little problem I had that I didn't have experience with. In a few days, I had 4 different products for windshield seals on order...and they ALL worked.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 01:23 PM   #7
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
I haven't tried the Adam's deep wheel cleaner, so your comparison with Sonax (which is what I use) makes me curious. However, did you use Sonax Full Effect or Sonax Plus?
I used the Full Effect for awhile, and it worked fine. Then I used the Plus when it came out, and I liked it better. When it turns purple, it's easier to see where you've sprayed it. But they both smell really, really bad. And, the Plus is over $20 for a 16oz bottle. What I like about the Adams is that you can get it for about $12.50 if you buy a gallon during one of their specials. It also foams up when you spray it on, so easier to see where I've sprayed, so I use less of it. And it turns purple too. So I spray it on all the wheels, go back and agitate with a long handled brush, and hose it off. And my wheels are very clean. AND it smells way better than sonax, which is a bonus. If you try it, let me know your opinion.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2015, 01:49 PM   #8
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I used the Full Effect for awhile, and it worked fine. Then I used the Plus when it came out, and I liked it better. When it turns purple, it's easier to see where you've sprayed it. But they both smell really, really bad. And, the Plus is over $20 for a 16oz bottle. What I like about the Adams is that you can get it for about $12.50 if you buy a gallon during one of their specials. It also foams up when you spray it on, so easier to see where I've sprayed, so I use less of it. And it turns purple too. So I spray it on all the wheels, go back and agitate with a long handled brush, and hose it off. And my wheels are very clean. AND it smells way better than sonax, which is a bonus. If you try it, let me know your opinion.
Yes, if you find that that Adam's wheel cleaner is as effective as Sonax Plus, I will definitely try it. Thanks.
      09-14-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
Yes, if you find that that Adam's wheel cleaner is as effective as Sonax Plus, I will definitely try it. Thanks.
Hmm... I may give the Adams wheel cleaner a try when my stuff runs out. I just finished off my last bottle of Sonax, and have a couple of bottles of 1Z Colortech to use. I agree the Sonax stuff STINKS! The 1Z is a little better. Sometimes I just hit the wheels with a quick detailer if they're not too dirty, and it seems to work pretty well if the brake dust is not too stuck on yet.

As to the OP, I think everybody has a slightly different system. One of the biggest improvements in detailing over the past few years is the use of coatings: Opticoat, C-Quartz, etc. They protect pretty well, are the lowest maintenance, generally last a couple of years with proper care, and look good. Other products, like a waxes, can look better, but are more work. I have a coating and just do maintenance washes once every week or two.

Another great product is the AutoScrub instead of the clay bar. It's a pad you can put on your polisher, and is used to clay your car. Probably 99.99% as good, and much faster.

I'm using LeatherMasters for my interior; the 2-3 step process is a little tedious. Sometimes I just do the cleaner. I'm planning to use Leatherique when I run out of the LeatherMasters.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #10
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

I literally just ordered the full line up to detail my car when it arrives, and I used to be a huge zaino guy. But this time I went with the cquartz UK coating and am using a nanoskin orbital pad instead of clay bar.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #11
MavRick
Captain
Rep
Drives: My Wife's M

for wheels...Griot's Garage Heavy Duty wheel cleaner works just the same as Iron-X or Sonax, for me (although i did order Iron-X for the full body decon i'm doing on the M4, this weekend). it even turns purple as it interacts with the iron in the brake dust. best part...you can pick it up at most Advance Auto Parts stores.

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 08:12 PM   #12
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep

I use all adams products and happy with them. Between sonax and adams wheel cleaners I also agree, adams works just as well, foams up better, and less smell.
      09-17-2015, 05:28 AM   #13
Vincz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

I use all adams products as well, I am particularly fond of their VRT for tires, H20 Guard n Gloss and Buttery Wax
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 08:02 AM   #14
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Hmm... I may give the Adams wheel cleaner a try when my stuff runs out. I just finished off my last bottle of Sonax, and have a couple of bottles of 1Z Colortech to use. I agree the Sonax stuff STINKS! The 1Z is a little better. Sometimes I just hit the wheels with a quick detailer if they're not too dirty, and it seems to work pretty well if the brake dust is not too stuck on yet.

As to the OP, I think everybody has a slightly different system. One of the biggest improvements in detailing over the past few years is the use of coatings: Opticoat, C-Quartz, etc. They protect pretty well, are the lowest maintenance, generally last a couple of years with proper care, and look good. Other products, like a waxes, can look better, but are more work. I have a coating and just do maintenance washes once every week or two.

Another great product is the AutoScrub instead of the clay bar. It's a pad you can put on your polisher, and is used to clay your car. Probably 99.99% as good, and much faster.

I'm using LeatherMasters for my interior; the 2-3 step process is a little tedious. Sometimes I just do the cleaner. I'm planning to use Leatherique when I run out of the LeatherMasters.
It is possible that the Sonax Plus might be better for older, really dirty, pitted wheels than the Adam's. But for my purposes, and I'd assume most guys in here, that isn't the case. It would be interesting to hear what a pro like Phil, who sells both brands, thinks.

I had mine coated, with CQ Finest, and it makes cleaning it and keeping it clean about 50% easier. I hit it with the Reload after the wash about once a month, and after 7 months it not only looks great after the wash, but it still looks good on Thursday, which is new for me with a dark color. And I just got to a point where the whole clay/polish/wax process every 3-4 months got old.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 08:05 AM   #15
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///bproden View Post
I use all adams products and happy with them. Between sonax and adams wheel cleaners I also agree, adams works just as well, foams up better, and less smell.
Exactly. It doesn't make you want to drink it like the detail spray, but you don't smell like rotten eggs for the rest of the day like you do with the Sonax.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #16
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

If I have Iron X do I even need to use another wheel cleaner?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #17
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwguy11 View Post
If I have Iron X do I even need to use another wheel cleaner?
Does that stuff work well? I never trusted it because they advertise it for wheels AND exterior paint. I wouldn't do that with any wheel cleaner. But maybe that's because I stereotype products. Each one has a specific job to do.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #18
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Another comment on wheel cleaner - I have tired Sonax and while it worked well, smelled bad and it was expensive. I tried Griots and it sprays on clear but changes color to red just like the sonax and works just as well.

The thing I like most about Griots stuff is you can buy it in larger bulk containers and refill your own bottles. It saves quite a bit of money for the DIY OCD detailer.
      10-08-2015, 09:17 AM   #19
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Which are you guys using, wheel cleaner or "heavy duty" wheel cleaner from griots?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #20
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

at moment, went on the cheap and got wheel cleaner from meguair's (cleaner, protectant, xtreme shine combo). Works ok especially when thickly applying the protectant, a lot less brake dust sticks and it easily washes off during a standard car wash.
Appreciate 0