ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

09-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #1
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

brand new car - a few questions

Ok so I'm compiling my list of things I need to buy in order to clean, detail, and spend much quality time with my new F80. I plan to do this all within probably the first week that I get the car.

So that brings me to my first question. Will I really need to polish the new car? I only ask because that portion would be a large chunk of my budget since I don't have an orbital polisher.

In addition, can everyone help me do a sanity check and make sure I haven't missed anything? lol. It's a big undertaking and I want to get it done right.

Here is a list of items I'm planning to buy and use:
powder free gloves
cquartz uk starter kit - comes with Reload spray
carpro iron x
carpro eraser
16" microfiber towels (3?)
4" suede applicator cloth extras (5)
16" suede cloth extras (5)
grit guard insert for bucket
2 buckets
waffle weave drying towels microfiber (2)
lake country blue grout sponge
nanoskin autoscrub fine mitt (using this instead of claybar for now)
nanoskin glide for lubricating mitt

Steps:
-Wash car with dawn dish soap to strip everything off. Rinse, and keep car wet.
-Use iron X, then rinse car again. Keep wet.
-Use nano glide with water and autoscrub mitt.
-Finally, dry car with microfiber waffle weave towels.
-Use carpro eraser per instructions. (not sure if this step is necessary since I'm not polishing?)
-Apply cquartz UK per instructions. I plant to do two coatings.
-Use reload to "finish" the car per instructions.

I will do wheel detailing later down the road (i have the stock 18" rims)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Best guy to ask on the forum might be Money2536 - self admitted OCD detailing nut

Has a separate web site coupled with numerous very detailed vids on Bimmerpost on just about every aspect of cleaning the exterior of your car and an extensive product testing list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwguy11 View Post
Ok so I'm compiling my list of things I need to buy in order to clean, detail, and spend much quality time with my new F80. I plan to do this all within probably the first week that I get the car.
      09-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #3
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

Yea, Money is probably the best person to ask here. Or, you could try the autogeek forums. Lots of obsessed guys over there
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 10:59 AM   #4
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I actually used Money's blog/site along with a few others to sort of compile what I wanted to do.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #5
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

If you're not going to polish and paint prep your car, I wouldn't bother to apply the CQ UK. All you'd be doing is sealing in all the swirls and imperfections in the finish. And trust me, even on a brand new car, they're there. It might be a larger expense right away, but long term it will save you lots of money. Just my opinion. Enjoy the new car.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2015, 02:41 PM   #6
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted
If you're not going to polish and paint prep your car, I wouldn't bother to apply the CQ UK. All you'd be doing is sealing in all the swirls and imperfections in the finish. And trust me, even on a brand new car, they're there. It might be a larger expense right away, but long term it will save you lots of money. Just my opinion. Enjoy the new car.
Ok thanks that helps. I wasn't sure if a brand new car would have any swirls in it already.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #7
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

What color is your car?

IMO, you really need to do an evaluation of the paint before you decide how much you want to correct. If it's a color that hides swirls pretty well, the decon (wash, iron-X, clay) will likely make the biggest difference in looks/shine. While you shouldn't assume your brand new car will be swirl-free, you also shouldn't assume it will be terrible either. Make sure you request the dealer NOT prep the car. You may not need a polish much or at all, or just a jeweling polish, depending on the color. Or, you may need a more aggressive paint correction. In any case, I'd just invest and get a random orbital polisher. It will save you time with the clay part. I haven't heard good things about the Nanoskin mitt. The polish pads, on the other hand, are excellent.

Two more things: I'd try to find the softest wash pad. I don't think I'd want to use that sponge. Consider lambswool, sea sponge, or the Adam's wash pad (which is what I use). You can do more harm than good with the wrong wash media. Second, use the highest quality microfiber towels you can afford. MicroFiberTech, The Rag Company both sell top quality products.

Good luck with the new car prep. It will probably take you a couple of days, but well worth the effort
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #8
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
What color is your car?

IMO, you really need to do an evaluation of the paint before you decide how much you want to correct. If it's a color that hides swirls pretty well, the decon (wash, iron-X, clay) will likely make the biggest difference in looks/shine. While you shouldn't assume your brand new car will be swirl-free, you also shouldn't assume it will be terrible either. Make sure you request the dealer NOT prep the car. You may not need a polish much or at all, or just a jeweling polish, depending on the color. Or, you may need a more aggressive paint correction. In any case, I'd just invest and get a random orbital polisher. It will save you time with the clay part. I haven't heard good things about the Nanoskin mitt. The polish pads, on the other hand, are excellent.

Two more things: I'd try to find the softest wash pad. I don't think I'd want to use that sponge. Consider lambswool, sea sponge, or the Adam's wash pad (which is what I use). You can do more harm than good with the wrong wash media. Second, use the highest quality microfiber towels you can afford. MicroFiberTech, The Rag Company both sell top quality products.

Good luck with the new car prep. It will probably take you a couple of days, but well worth the effort

I have decided it's better to get a solid orbital now, and am looking at the rupes 12E duetto. I have read a few more that said the nanoskin mitt was not that great. Since I'm getting an orbital, maybe the nanoskin 6" pad is best?

I will pick up the adam's wash pad, as I agree with what you've said after doing some more digging. As for microfiber towel difference, I was planning on the adam's great white microfiber drying towel for waffleweave. I was going to get the microfiber quick detail cloths from microfibertech.

I have a YMB M3 coming.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #9
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
I have decided it's better to get a solid orbital now, and am looking at the rupes 12E duetto. I have read a few more that said the nanoskin mitt was not that great. Since I'm getting an orbital, maybe the nanoskin 6" pad is best?

I will pick up the adam's wash pad, as I agree with what you've said after doing some more digging. As for microfiber towel difference, I was planning on the adam's great white microfiber drying towel for waffleweave. I was going to get the microfiber quick detail cloths from microfibertech.

I have a YMB M3 coming.
I think the Adam's one is great. I believe they're all sourced from one of the big microfiber suppliers, like MicrofiberTech or TheRagCompany.

I forgot to mention, if you're really crazy, or want to be less careful with the polisher, get some painter's or automotive tape, for the crevices, shadowline trim, badges, etc.

YMB will really pop with a good detail
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #10
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

Quote:

So that brings me to my first question. Will I really need to polish the new car? I only ask because that portion would be a large chunk of my budget since I don't have an orbital polisher.

In addition, can everyone help me do a sanity check and make sure I haven't missed anything? lol. It's a big undertaking and I want to get it done right.

Here is a list of items I'm planning to buy and use:
powder free gloves
cquartz uk starter kit - comes with Reload spray
carpro iron x
carpro eraser
16" microfiber towels (3?)
4" suede applicator cloth extras (5)
16" suede cloth extras (5)
grit guard insert for bucket
2 buckets
waffle weave drying towels microfiber (2)
lake country blue grout sponge
nanoskin autoscrub fine mitt (using this instead of claybar for now)
nanoskin glide for lubricating mitt

Steps:
-Wash car with dawn dish soap to strip everything off. Rinse, and keep car wet.
-Use iron X, then rinse car again. Keep wet.
-Use nano glide with water and autoscrub mitt.
-Finally, dry car with microfiber waffle weave towels.
-Use carpro eraser per instructions. (not sure if this step is necessary since I'm not polishing?)
-Apply cquartz UK per instructions. I plant to do two coatings.
-Use reload to "finish" the car per instructions.

I will do wheel detailing later down the road (i have the stock 18" rims)
My car didn't need to be compounded, but I still did a one-step to jewel the paint. If you let the dealer wash it, there is a good chance they will screw it up. I built this page to attempt to explain what I use. I hope this helps.

http://www.obsessedgarage.com/home/gear/detailing-gear/
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #11
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
My car didn't need to be compounded, but I still did a one-step to jewel the paint. If you let the dealer wash it, there is a good chance they will screw it up. I built this page to attempt to explain what I use. I hope this helps.

http://www.obsessedgarage.com/home/gear/detailing-gear/
Yes I have consulted your site a lot, along with a few others, in building out my idea of what I want to accomplish and have for the long term care of this vehicle.

I was under the impression that the VPC washes and unwraps the car, is that not correct? I could ask my dealership not to wash it, but since the VPC does it anyways I think I'll likely need to do a finishing polish, based on what I've researched.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #12
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

Quote:
Yes I have consulted your site a lot, along with a few others, in building out my idea of what I want to accomplish and have for the long term care of this vehicle.

I was under the impression that the VPC washes and unwraps the car, is that not correct? I could ask my dealership not to wash it, but since the VPC does it anyways I think I'll likely need to do a finishing polish, based on what I've researched.
In my experience VPC and Performance Center know what they are doing. The dealer doesn't. I'd use Menzerna SF4000 with a medium polishing pad as a one-step. Look into the Griot's Boss orbital over the Rupes. They are new and improved.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2015, 09:30 AM   #13
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
In my experience VPC and Performance Center know what they are doing. The dealer doesn't. I'd use Menzerna SF4000 with a medium polishing pad as a one-step. Look into the Griot's Boss orbital over the Rupes. They are new and improved.
Thanks. I have the opportunity to pick up a lightly used rupes bigfoot 21, so I think I might go that route as that will help ease the budget pain a bit haha. Especially since he is being nice enough to toss in a few finishing pads and some menzerna for me. <3

I'm literally having to buy everything since it's been years since I've had a car I cared about detailing. These forums are a life saver.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #14
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Skip the orbital polisher. Its a huge expense and in the wrong hands will do more harm than good. Plus you will spend just as much on the chemicals and pads needed as the polisher its self.

Wash, clay bar and wax the car. Every couple years, have a professional come polish up the car and then just maintain it.
Appreciate 2
      10-07-2015, 07:03 PM   #15
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
Skip the orbital polisher. Its a huge expense and in the wrong hands will do more harm than good. Plus you will spend just as much on the chemicals and pads needed as the polisher its self.

Wash, clay bar and wax the car. Every couple years, have a professional come polish up the car and then just maintain it.
I actually agree with this too. Once i started to clay bar my cars the results have been quite nice. And I plan on doing just this, do my own washes, wax & clay as maintenance then going to a pro detailer once every year or two to get it all polished up.

I'll definitely have a paint correction & polish done professionally on my YMB F80 just because I want to see the results of a good professional job.

I've had the car a week now and I must say the YMB seems to stay really clean looking, nearly as good as the metallic white STI I had.
      10-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #16
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I already picked up a bigfoot 21 orbital. I tested it on my X3, and was super easy. I think I'd have to really do something stupid to mess up my car with this orbital. I got YMB too, should be picking up the car tomorrow or saturday.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #17
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

which is the safest and best wash mitt to use for hand washing car and from where to buy?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #18
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
which is the safest and best wash mitt to use for hand washing car and from where to buy?
I've used the Car Pro Merino wool mitt, the Chemical Guys microfiber mitt, the Adam's wash pad, and the Adam's mitt. My preferred is the Adam's mitt because it retains lots of suds, and I can turn it over to get more suds when I'm on the side of the car away from the buckets. Did not like the Chemical guys microfiber mitt at all. It just depends on what you're most comfortable with.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 07:41 PM   #19
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
I've used the Car Pro Merino wool mitt, the Chemical Guys microfiber mitt, the Adam's wash pad, and the Adam's mitt. My preferred is the Adam's mitt because it retains lots of suds, and I can turn it over to get more suds when I'm on the side of the car away from the buckets. Did not like the Chemical guys microfiber mitt at all. It just depends on what you're most comfortable with.
Where can u buy the Adams wash pad or mitt.. which one do u use to wash the car and what's the difference?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 08:06 AM   #20
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Where can u buy the Adams wash pad or mitt.. which one do u use to wash the car and what's the difference?
I don't think they'll let me post a link to a non sponsor, so just Google Adam's Polishes.

The mitt is like a glove, fits over your hand. The pad your hand is outside.

Take a look at Money's "Obsessed Garage" website. All you'll ever need to know about anything detailing is on there.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #21
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Wash and dry your clear coated car properly, almost 20g miles on my M4 never waxed, buffed, clay, nothing. Under direct sunlight will put it up to ANYBODYS that has. In fact since 2001 haven't waxed 9 BMWs.

I live in the MURRIETA area of Socal. Happy to meet anybody for the challenge. Of course you'll have the dance floor feel, but mine will look equal especially under the direct reflection of the sun. Flawless!

Clear coat 1/3 thickness of a post-it note, why damage it with abrasive contact.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #22
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Well 3 hours into detailing and I've done:

1. ironx
2. wash
3. clay bar
4. drying and using opti no rinse quick detail
5. carpro eraser

Now I'm taking a break for the packer game and then will do the cquartz UK after the game! I decided to skip the polishing for correction step as the paint is flawless. In the sun I see no holograms, swirls, absolutely nothing. I am impressed that the car came all this way and needed zero paint correction and only minor claying. Hats off to my dealership for not putting any swirls in when they washed it!

So much quality time with the new girlfriend, I mean car.
Appreciate 0