Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

08-31-2015, 06:57 PM   #1
gprgeorge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Silverstone

paint protective film or good old wax for your M

Hey guys

Any of you have paint protective film on your M3 or M4? I was told by the dealership that they were a waste of money and a good wax on your car was enough. That true? I thought about getting ziebart Z shield. Now I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
72M4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White M4

Everything Forward of Doors +Sills

I had mine done and it has saved my bacon at least twice when I ended up on roads with loose gravel (i.e. entrance road to VIR)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 07:10 PM   #3
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Just wax here. I couldn't see a couple grand to keep it pristine for the next guy. They are cars and meant to be driven, when they are driven things happen. Of course washing mine Friday I have a rock chip right through the primer on the hood and some paint chips to metal on the back quarter from some douche who threw something at me(not that I would have coated the back quarter anyway). So I told myself this, saw the damage and nearly stroked out, but had to tell myself over and over why I didn't wrap it.

Wax will NEVER protect like plastic. Wax is more for just shine and giving a deeper look to paint, not necessarily to repel potential damage.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 07:19 PM   #4
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Films will protect against rock chips and scratches.

Wax is for shine and mild protection against environmental damage like bird droppings

Coatings are for shine, ease of washing, and good protection from the environment. Ceramic lasting the longest.

Which you choose depends on how anal you are about your car having minor rock chips and if you bought or leased.

I leased and am getting a ceramic coating. I like the shine it will give and the ease of washing. No film as I will only have it 3 years and rock chips will not count against me.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 07:25 PM   #5
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

I would suggest of your going to track the car, or do some high speed runs in the mountains for some spirited driving. My GT3 has the entire front to the A-pillar covered, and it works like a charm. I drive through the the GA mountains and the rocks kiss up all over the hood, and the hood is perfect just brush off the impact chips. The M4 is more of a city cruiser, and some fun driving but not like the GT3 so I didn't cover the M4. Also the GT3 is a long term keeper, and I will see the M4 in a few years for sure. I think the clear bra is dependent of your driving style in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 07:53 PM   #6
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
I would suggest of your going to track the car, or do some high speed runs in the mountains for some spirited driving. My GT3 has the entire front to the A-pillar covered, and it works like a charm. I drive through the the GA mountains and the rocks kiss up all over the hood, and the hood is perfect just brush off the impact chips. The M4 is more of a city cruiser, and some fun driving but not like the GT3 so I didn't cover the M4. Also the GT3 is a long term keeper, and I will see the M4 in a few years for sure. I think the clear bra is dependent of your driving style in the car.
Many of us don't have a GT3 and an M4, but I think many will disagree with your characterization of the M4. In my opinion, it is a great canyon carver.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 08:06 PM   #7
gprgeorge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I don't have X P E L dealer around me but Ziebart with Z shield. I figured wax was not gonna hold up on rock chips.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 08:06 PM   #8
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Last week I had my whole front XPEL'd. I'm really happy about it. It wasn't cheap, but i'm glad I did. I was so nervous driving worrying about getting rock chips. The peace of mind alone is nice.
      08-31-2015, 08:09 PM   #9
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Many of us don't have a GT3 and an M4, but I think many will disagree with your characterization of the M4. In my opinion, it is a great canyon carver.
Not sure you follow my post my M4 is different tool, and I drive the crap out of my GT3 thus the need for the film. My M4 is not a track car, and I never said it was not capable. No need to disagree as that was not my intent it's the way I use the car. I will simply giving two scenarios for film, and one not for film. Hope that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 08:18 PM   #10
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

I did my entire front end.

including side view mirrors, also door cups, as well as trunk bumper area.

in my past experience, rock chips and road debris killed my hood.

I have to say, it is worth every penny. my front is pristine (almost 9k miles)

I own my car, so it is not a lease.

In fact, I would consider clear bra'ing the entire car on my next purchase.

btw- here is my post and install of the clear bra.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1059347

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 08:41 PM   #11
gprgeorge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I appreciate the advice. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 08:50 PM   #12
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Also got full front end and then went back to get roof done. This is the fifth car I had PPF on. Can't go without it now as I do a lot of highway driving and the front end of the last car I had without it got torn up with chips. Probably cost me at least as much in trade in value for that car as PPF would have cost. I also hate seeing the accumulation of chips over time. At least get partial front, which is most cost effective area to cover. Wax is not going to do anything for paint chips if you drive on the highway or track. Not sure what your dealership was thinking when they said it is a waste of money.

Beware, however, if you have a white car, over time the film will likely yellow and it is far more noticeable on a white car than any other car. I had Xpel replaced under warranty on my last car, which was white, and it was starting to yellow again by the time I traded it in. I'll probably never get another white car as a result, as much as I like white on a car.
      08-31-2015, 09:02 PM   #13
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Also got full front end and then went back to get roof done. This is the fifth car I had PPF on. Can't go without it now as I do a lot of highway driving and the front end of the last car I had without it got torn up with chips. Probably cost me at least as much in trade in value for that car as PPF would have cost. I also hate seeing the accumulation of chips over time. At least get partial front, which is most cost effective area to cover. Wax is not going to do anything for paint chips if you drive on the highway or track. Not sure what your dealership was thinking when they said it is a waste of money.

Beware, however, if you have a white car, over time the film will likely yellow and it is far more noticeable on a white car than any other car. I had Xpel replaced under warranty on my last car, which was white, and it was starting to yellow again by the time I traded it in. I'll probably never get another white car as a result, as much as I like white on a car.
How long did it take ...had the GT3 done which is metallic white for 11 months zero issues looks like new. I keep a nice coat of wax on the film no problems so far.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 09:09 PM   #14
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post

How long did it take ...had the GT3 done which is metallic white for 11 months zero issues looks like new. I keep a nice coat of wax on the film no problems so far.
To be honest I didn't notice until someone pointed it out to me after about 18 mos., by which point it was quite noticeable. I guess it wasn't so obvious to me seeing the car every day but it drove me nuts once I saw it. Installer replaced it and within 6 mos., I could see some signs of yellowing again, but not nearly as bad as when it was replaced. It needs to be cleaned frequently and really well - Xpel has a good cleaner - and sealed (Xpel also has a sealant) after cleaning. My installer also recommended scrubbing with a soft brush and Dawn dish detergent (film only not paint). The yellowing is caused by contaminants getting into the porous film. Can't use anything on it that is derived from petroleum. I've heard mixed opinions on carnauba wax. Some say it works great on film and others say it causes yellowing.

Edit: I should mention I put around 25K miles on the car during those first 18 mos.
      08-31-2015, 09:16 PM   #15
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I put clear bras on the first couple cars I bought. Don't think I will again. It's a lot of dough to get it done right (and this is coming from someone who paid up for individual paint), you can't polish it, and I also don't mind rock chips all that much. I'm of the philosophy that cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed. I usually spend a good hour removing all the rubber marks from my hood after a track weekend, and there's something I love about that.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 09:46 PM   #16
N55
ⒸⒺⓇⓉⓘⒻⒾⒺⒹ✬ⓃⒾⓃⒿⒶ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 🚀

Garage List
Only film on the parts needed. front bumper, where rocks get thrown up into the paint (especially when running spacers).
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 10:03 PM   #17
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
I have XPel ultimate on my front bumper, full hood, front quarter panels, rocket panels, mirror caps and rear bumper. Probably about 60% of the car. Expensive but the protection is fantastic. I strongly recommend it if you have bought your car. If you're leasing then the case is less clear.

Or you could be like this guy;

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 10:58 PM   #18
4DRS55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GTF80,718GT4,TVG80,G05X5

Safer to wrap it
Feels better without!
I don't care what people say about installer, in certain shades u can see a layer of plastic film which looks a bit unnatural
There is something about seeing the natural paint which gives it a bit more pop
However I did do my front bumper, rocker, small piece above rocker and mirrors. If i daily drove it I prob would have the whole front wrap, I end up putting about 5-7k a year.
The cost of clear bra is about the cost of getting the whole front resprayed but most are prob not in favor in respray.

Last edited by 4DRS55; 09-01-2015 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #19
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I plan on doing standard protection for PPF which is 24 " on the hood and bumper ... i think it should be fine as i am leased anyways.
Appreciate 0