Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

08-28-2015, 11:25 PM   #1
M42N8
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ordering an M550

Anyone ever heard of Kamikaze paint protection products?

I stumbled across this product the other day on YouTube...here's one of their videos:

The broken English in the text of the video is a little off putting, but other than that, the results shown seem great.

I dug further into the products and found these guys selling it:

http://esotericcarcare.com/

They've got some more product videos on their site and carry an entire line of Kamikaze products. Seems like a much cheaper alternative to Modesta or Opti Coat (but yes, I know...you get what you pay for)

Anyone have any experience with these products?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 06:54 PM   #2
M42N8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNuvo Boston View Post
This is interesting, we have seen this before and I think its a cool concept..but here at the shop we'll stick to paint correction and coatings.
I wasn't really looking at their product for paint correction, even though that video I posted above seems to do just that....though doesn't seem to be marketed as that. It marketed as more of a protection coat over their protection coat...I believe they refer to (the product in the video posted) as a "sacrificial layer":

"OVER COAT is designed to be (easily) applied over the durable base layer coating…which could be ISM COAT, MIYABI COAT, and other brands of glass, ceramic, or polymer coatings. OVER COAT will take the abuse of the elements, while protecting the under layer. And since it’s so easy to apply and work with, you can quickly maintain your coated vehicle every month or two (durability however is listed as 3-6 months).......
So given the fact that OVER COAT can be applied wet or dry (easy use like a quick detailer), it is designed as a sacrificial layer for ALL types of coatings, can be used on most areas of the car, is capable of light defect filling, and has crazy water beading characteristics…this will easily be the #1 seller in the Kamikaze line!"

"Paint correction" just seems to be an added bonus of the product. And there are a number of other products they have as well, besides the one in the video.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
WinterScene
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Reviving from the dead...not much response to the original question. I was hoping for more as I have a local detailer that offers the Kamikaze quartz protection in either a 2-year or 4-year application package.

They purportedly have tested CQuartz Finest, Modesta, Opti Coat, 22PLE, and Gyeon, but like Kamikaze the best. Any additional experience from anyone? I'm wondering about training/experience level of the folks doing the application, that is whether Kamikaze just puts the product out there for anyone or whether they have a good training program.

Right now I'm leaning toward CQuartz as I have another local dealer that does do that and is more well known (at least to me).
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
M42N8
United_States
Rep

Thank you for reviving this post! Was surprised by the lack of response honestly.

Very interesting that your local detailer likes Kamikaze the best. What are they charging to apply it? To me, at least, it seems DIY and at $150 (I think that's around what I saw it for?) it's worth buying and trying out. And I'm not interested in getting something like this done, or applied myself, just so I don't have to wax as much....I just want the extra protection against bird droppings, water spots and other contaminants that a standard wax might not protect against. Plus I'd do the wheels for easier brake dust cleanings.

Well let me know what you decide on
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #5
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

Esoteric uses Kamikaze products.

http://esotericcarcare.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 05:06 PM   #6
WinterScene
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M42N8 View Post
Thank you for reviving this post! Was surprised by the lack of response honestly.

Very interesting that your local detailer likes Kamikaze the best. What are they charging to apply it? To me, at least, it seems DIY and at $150 (I think that's around what I saw it for?) it's worth buying and trying out. And I'm not interested in getting something like this done, or applied myself, just so I don't have to wax as much....I just want the extra protection against bird droppings, water spots and other contaminants that a standard wax might not protect against. Plus I'd do the wheels for easier brake dust cleanings.

Well let me know what you decide on
Here's an excerpt from the e-mail I received:
"We are currently using Kamikaze and it's by far the best that we have tested, we do tons of research on all of our products before we offer anything to our customers. We have tested CQuarz F, Modesta, Opti Coat, 22PLE, Gyeon, and the Kamikaze is by far the best."

Pricing for the 2 year application would be $500, and the 4 year would be $750. Even though the car is brand new we always recommend a one step paint correction before the application to insure the longevity of the coating. One step pricing $500.

The work takes us about 5-7 hours (We do it the right way)."

They seem to have a good reputation locally, but they are farther away than the CQuartz folks. Price-wise I think it is inline with CQuartz.

As you mentioned Kamikaze does sell kits so you could try this out yourself relatively cheaply.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 09:38 PM   #7
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterScene View Post
Here's an excerpt from the e-mail I received:
"We are currently using Kamikaze and it's by far the best that we have tested, we do tons of research on all of our products before we offer anything to our customers. We have tested CQuarz F, Modesta, Opti Coat, 22PLE, Gyeon, and the Kamikaze is by far the best."

Pricing for the 2 year application would be $500, and the 4 year would be $750. Even though the car is brand new we always recommend a one step paint correction before the application to insure the longevity of the coating. One step pricing $500.

The work takes us about 5-7 hours (We do it the right way)."

They seem to have a good reputation locally, but they are farther away than the CQuartz folks. Price-wise I think it is inline with CQuartz.

As you mentioned Kamikaze does sell kits so you could try this out yourself relatively cheaply.
Very interesting. That's a bold statement saying Kamikaze is "by far the best". The listed coatings are tried and true and have been on the market for many years. Did they provide any color as to why it's far and away the best of the coatings listed? Has any data been provided other than anecdotal evidence?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 11:05 PM   #8
WinterScene
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
Very interesting. That's a bold statement saying Kamikaze is "by far the best". The listed coatings are tried and true and have been on the market for many years. Did they provide any color as to why it's far and away the best of the coatings listed? Has any data been provided other than anecdotal evidence?
I had never heard of Kamikaze before today and while every company has to start somewhere I feel more comfortable going the CQuartz route.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 04:22 AM   #9
stranger
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

guys if I apply this to my car along with the ism coating that apparently protects for uptp 36 months

will taking it to the local polish car wash affect the products?

Not really looking at it for the shine, more for the paint protection and to get rid of some swirl marks
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 09:12 AM   #10
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger View Post
guys if I apply this to my car along with the ism coating that apparently protects for uptp 36 months

will taking it to the local polish car wash affect the products?

Not really looking at it for the shine, more for the paint protection and to get rid of some swirl marks
How would we know? I don't think anyone here knows much about these products. Your best bet is to contact Esoteric Care Care and ask them since they're touting this product as the best thing out. But I think you know know the answer to your question.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 12:36 AM   #11
plankton99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe Alpine White

i ordered the myabi and ism coating from Kamakazi, we'l see how it goes
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 06:47 PM   #12
M42N8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plankton99 View Post
i ordered the myabi and ism coating from Kamakazi, we'l see how it goes
Nice! Yes, please let us know. Who did you order it from and what did you pay?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 06:51 PM   #13
plankton99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by M42N8 View Post
Nice! Yes, please let us know. Who did you order it from and what did you pay?

Here is the link for the product
http://www.esotericcarcare.com/kamikaze-miyabi-coat/
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 07:00 AM   #14
MaDoNiOn
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 130i E81

Garage List
Yes Let us know! Looks flippen interesting!

Bmw 135i Convertable White...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 09:05 AM   #15
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Feedback?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 02:17 PM   #16
Dkcarspa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 99M3, 91IX

I am looking to add kamikaze coatings for my customers soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 05:08 PM   #17
LAMF
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4MC

Garage List
2020 X4MC  [0.00]
I've used them several times and they are very user friendly. The video above is exactly what it states. It's used for cars with very thin clear coat and can't be compounded. They use the artificial clear coat instead of compound or a heavy cut polish being you can literally remove the clear coat. This will hide the swirl marks. The only way to tell is by using a paint thickness gauge.

Your New M won't require the use of that product.

Getting the finish as clean and swirl free as possible is a must along with proper washing techniques so you don't induce swirls back into the paint.

I strongly recommend using MIYABI as a base coat (2 coats) then topped off with ISM (2 coats) with one hour intervals.

I also used about every costing available other than Modesta. Again strongly recommend them. If you have any questions or need some advice just let me know.
Appreciate 0