R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

08-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #1
biggripper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Clear Bra question and Pic request

I have a new SSII clear bra US spec here in Italy. I have XPEL installed by the dealers body shop. I covered the bumper, hood, mirrors, full roof, rocker panels, headlights.

They did a pretty horrendous job with the install.b I had to actually order the film kit from XPEL in the US for them to install. So now I'm going to have to go after them for the cost of parts.

There's a small price of dead leaf under my roof film. The windshield side edge of the hood piece seems way more visible (black) than it should be--almost as if they installed the film with dirty hands and got dirt on the edge. The roller panel pieces didn't get wrapped completely so the film is just flapping in the breeze and trapping dirt.

How much debris should one reasonably expect to find under their film? Is any acceptable?
Also found a hair under the tint they installed.

If anyone has a good pic showing the film line in the hood of their SSII, AW, or MW colored cars I'd love to see it for comparison.
Attached Images

FORMER ///F87 M2C | Sunset Orange/Orange | 6MT | Black 788M Wheels
FORMER ///F82 M4 | SSII | Full SO | 6MT | Black 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
biggripper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

More pics
Attached Images

FORMER ///F87 M2C | Sunset Orange/Orange | 6MT | Black 788M Wheels
FORMER ///F82 M4 | SSII | Full SO | 6MT | Black 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 02:33 PM   #3
Thanh386
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F82

The car should have been clean throughly before filmed applied . It's close to a grand I wouldn't expect to find any debris underneath. As for tint, the hair is pretty bad. I woul have them replace it
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2015, 12:43 AM   #4
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMBSSM4

the car should be fully washed, clay bar'd (or auto scrub), polished preferably, and definitely waxed with xpel sealant or the specific Mequiars tech wax. Then put on in a very clean facility with no particulates in the air.

Anything less is not professional.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Debris under the film? I'd expect very little. My installer told me this is critical for my color (white), as it will show any particles. The car has to be properly prep'd. Most decent places will clay the car beforehand, because once the film is on, whatever's trapped underneath is 'permanent'. I did a full new car prep/correction before my PPF install.

As for debris on exposed edges, that's just normal over time. Wear/tear; it will get a little dirty. I notice it a little on parts of my front bumper. I had a partial pre-cut kit. For my hood, my installer wrapped the edges underneath, so you can't tell it's there.

Sounds like the shop has very little experience, or doesn't know what they're doing.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2015, 09:33 PM   #6
phantomray
Coder
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Debris under the film? I'd expect very little. My installer told me this is critical for my color (white), as it will show any particles. The car has to be properly prep'd. Most decent places will clay the car beforehand, because once the film is on, whatever's trapped underneath is 'permanent'. I did a full new car prep/correction before my PPF install.

As for debris on exposed edges, that's just normal over time. Wear/tear; it will get a little dirty. I notice it a little on parts of my front bumper. I had a partial pre-cut kit. For my hood, my installer wrapped the edges underneath, so you can't tell it's there.

Sounds like the shop has very little experience, or doesn't know what they're doing.
Can you tell me or PM me how much it costed you to do your prep and clear bra? I am really interested in getting it done for my alpine white M3 as well.

2016 ///M3 / Alpine White with Black Interior / CF Roof / DCT / 19'' Light Alloy with PSS / Happy Owner Since 9.12.2015
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #7
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Looks like a bad install job, and the edges weren't properly tucked. No dirt should be collected in the film. I don't drive in rain or dirt, but my edges are completely clean.