BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
user2688
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Adding AUX or Any Other Input at Back of Radio

Hey guys,

I'm working on a custom nav / computer to be installed in an oem-like fashion in the dash. However, I need a way to hook it up to the BMW Professional radio in my car. My options with my setup are either aux (normal jack) or SPDIF (coaxial or optical).

My car currently has Bluetooth, AUX and USB under the armrest and I'd like to keep these options working.

I've looked all over the place, so far I've seen just a few install videos for iPod adapters but I don't know how I could use those...

Also, running a wire all the way down to the center console is out of the question.

Any ideas?
Is it possible to splice into the AUX in cable at the base of the head unit?

I will be opening a separate thread regarding the whole setup once I have it up and running. I will be documenting the whole install process.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 05:35 AM   #2
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

The aux cable in the armrest doesnt actually connect directly to the head unit. It runs to a module in your trunk (the MULF - this controls the aux/usb/bluetooth) which is connected the the MOST bus (fibre optic connection), which connects back to the head unit. Further, the AUX connection cable is some weird kind of Fakra/coaxial cable, so you wont be able to splice into it (unless you know how to)... And you won't be able to tap into the MOST Bus unless you are using BMW hardware because the data sent through MOST is encrypted.

So if you were going to implement your own nav computer, and want to keep all stock functionality, the only way to do it would be to set your professional head unit to "AUX" and then connect your nav solution to the aux input in the center console.

Just curious, but why is running a cable to the center console out of the question?
Appreciate 1
N55135i269.00
      08-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #3
user2688
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the input.
The reason why I don't want to run a cable to the center console is because I want to keep it as clean and as close to stock looking as possible.

Hmm... guess it's back to the drawing board to find a way to somehow get it to hook up.

So far my options are:
- Install screen + odroid / tablet in an aftermarket nav screen kit on the dash, keep original radio and use aux input for sound
- Remove stock radio, install screen + odroid / tablet in double DYN dash kit, with an added CAN bus shield to capture steering wheel controls (ehhhh...) going to have trouble with integrating existing microphone + aux/usb

Obviously the first option should be a lot easier while retaining a stock-like look. I guess I need to look into the BMW adapters sold on aliexpress or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 10:38 PM   #4
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Hmm ok well if you didn't want to go the OEM iDrive route, then i think this would be a good bet:

It seems to work pretty well, you can keep steering wheel controls with the right harness and its android based.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 07:57 AM   #5
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Running a cable down the console is not inconsistent with stock appearance. I do it for my GPS installation. There are a few inches of the cable visible where it comes out from under the console beside the seat. But it is hard to see because of the seat. The console comes out fairly easily (so you can get the cable in it).
      08-20-2015, 03:19 PM   #6
user2688
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the input, I guess I will have to go that route then. I must admit I'm kind of OCD when it comes to details about the interior of the car, haha!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 04:26 PM   #7
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

You could try a wireless audio setup via the aftermarket options out there...?
Appreciate 0