Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

07-16-2015, 08:45 AM   #1
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Hydes Rust Stopper

Ever since I got my Satin Black wheels I have been having a very hard time with the orange rust dust that flies off the rotors the first time you brake post wash. I was looking at products online and found this Hydes Rust Stopper.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/prod...erum-rustopper

Has anyone tried this? DetailersDomain is this safe on the M3 brakes?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 11:15 AM   #2
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

I would like to know too! I usually find a nice orange puddle on my wheels after washing. Then after my first drive, orange dust on my wheels. I've gone as far as removing my wheels to clean them then put them back on my car. Gets a better clean, especially around the brakes, but it's a PITA!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
Gstone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 GT350, '15 M4 sold

+1 on this
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
I usually give the wheels a wipe with a damp microfiber cloth after the first drive post-wash (yup, I have a dedicated cloth just for that purpose). After a few days, the rears stay clean but the fronts end up collecting a fair amount of brake dust. No winning this game, unless you go CCBs.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 01:15 PM   #5
Gstone
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor///M View Post
I usually give the wheels a wipe with a damp microfiber cloth after the first drive post-wash (yup, I have a dedicated cloth just for that purpose). After a few days, the rears stay clean but the fronts end up collecting a fair amount of brake dust. No winning this game, unless you go CCBs.
It's not the break dust, it's the orange rust that forms on the calipers right after the car is washed. using the breaks then rubs this off and it is all over the clean wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gstone
Quote:
It's not the break dust, it's the orange rust that forms on the calipers right after the car is washed. using the breaks then rubs this off and it is all over the clean wheels.
Yeah I know, that is what I was referring to. I also said that even though I wipe the rust dust off, brake dust still ends up accumulating eventually.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 01:53 PM   #7
Gstone
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I know, that is what I was referring to. I also said that even though I wipe the rust dust off, brake dust still ends up accumulating eventually.
Oh, right....sorry man.

Wiping the rust off doesn't work for me. It's not 100%. There is still a little forming on the rotors, and it's a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 10:51 PM   #8
chimp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4|2021 X4MC|2022 X4MC

I use Hyde's Serum every time I wash my car. While it makes a noticeable difference in terms of decreasing the amount of rust, it is not a panacea. I think the biggest difference is aesthetics in that the rotor surface itself does not automatically turn rusty. So in that regard, it does work. However, you will still have to deal with the orange rust issue, there just isn't as much of it. My process now is that after I am finished detailing, I take my car for a quick spin to work out any rust. Then, I use Griots Speed Shine and my dedicated wheel micro fibers to gently remove any rusty residue. I can confirm there is less but there is still some annoying rust that needs to be wiped away. I tried blowing off the rust with a leaf blower but to no avail and my black wheels are coated with Opti Coat Pro which makes the wheel surface pretty slick. Unfortunatley, you do need to do a second pass. To test my theory, I sprayed Hyde's on one front rotor and left the other without. No question that the wheel with it had considerably less rust to contend with. The other issue I have is that I detail my wheels first and have to be careful of overspray hitting the rotors that have been treated when detailing the body because the serum itself comes off rather easily. I have used Hyde's for a few months on my black wheels and have not noticed any damage on the wheels, rotors or calipers related to the serum.

Last edited by chimp; 07-17-2015 at 05:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2015, 09:59 AM   #9
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimp View Post
I use Hyde's Serum every time I wash my car. While it makes a noticeable difference in terms of decreasing the amount of rust, it is not a panacea. I think the biggest difference is aesthetics in that the rotor surface itself does not automatically turn rusty. So in that regard, it does work. However, you will still have to deal with the orange rust issue, there just isn't as much of it. My process now is that after I am finished detailing, I take my car for a quick spin to work out any rust. Then, I use Griots Speed Shine and my dedicated wheel micro fibers to gently remove any rusty residue. I can confirm there is less but there is still some annoying rust that needs to be wiped away. I tried blowing off the rust with a leaf blower but to no avail and my black wheels are coated with Opti Coat Pro which makes the wheel surface pretty slick. Unfortunatley, you do need to do a second pass. To test my theory, I sprayed Hyde's on one front rotor and left the other without. No question that the wheel with it had considerably less rust to contend with. The other issue I have is that I detail my wheels first and have to be careful of overspray hitting the rotors that have been treated when detailing the body because the serum itself comes off rather easily. I have used Hyde's for a few months on my black wheels and have not noticed any damage on the wheels, rotors or calipers related to the serum.
Thanks for the input. Any help is better than none. Ordering a bottle today.

I was going to pay to have my wheels OptiCoated but not sure its worth it after reading this. Did they do your faces AND barrels??
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 10:29 PM   #10
2015F80
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Glad to see that i'm not only one that has the post wash orange soup in the grove on the inside of the wheels.

Here is my way of reducing the rust juice to a minimum post wash.

Some people may say that i'm wrong but I still think it's an acceptable idea.

I wash the entire car trying not to wet the wheels (especially the rotors). So I do not aim the pressure washer directly at the wheels.

When all of the car is cleaned, I rince and hand wash my wheels. It takes me approximately 15 minutes for the 4 wheels. So rust has only about 15 to 4 minutes to form on the rotors. Last wheel just having been exposed to water.

Then I rince the car completely with my power washer making sure that no dirt from washing the wheels that could have gone on the paint is left there.

Then I take the car for a one minute slow speed ride to dry the rotors and get excess water off the wheels and from the inside of the rotors (in the ventitalation channels of the rotors).

Then I dry my car making sure not to scracth to paint with the slight debris than could have come up on the rockers and lower rear bumper behind the rear wheels.

By using this technique there is a lot less orange juice since the rotors have about 15 to 4 minutes to rust before they are dried, instead of about an hour to an hour and a half if I wet the wheels and rotors when I start to wash my M3.

If you don't drive your car after washing it and leave it in the garage with wet rotors overnight for example, you are going to get major orange juice on your rims even rust debris (like grains of salt). I would also get rusty juice stain on my garage floor.

Basically try to diminish the time your rotors are wet to a minimum.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 08:02 AM   #11
chimp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4|2021 X4MC|2022 X4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Thanks for the input. Any help is better than none. Ordering a bottle today.

I was going to pay to have my wheels OptiCoated but not sure its worth it after reading this. Did they do your faces AND barrels??
Yes. The detailer removed the wheels and did the face and barrels. Initially I was worried the heat generated around the wheels would quickly remove the Opti. However, it has been 4 months and water still beads like crazy on them. That being said, the rust covers the wheels and clings to them. Perhaps Opti makes rust removal easier or protects the wheels for marring and light swirls but you still have to address the rust. I try to keep the touching of my black wheels to a minimum because I swear if you breathe on them too hard the surface gets imperfections.

Last edited by chimp; 07-18-2015 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #12
foobarmontoya
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Welp, I'm glad I'm not the only one who considers crazy measures to fight the orange dust of doom.

This is what I do, though it doesn't solve the rust problem, just the most efficient way I've found so far.

1) Sonax and rinse (I'll probably stop this, doesn't seem to overall help total rust amount)
2) Wash car and pressure wash wheels, avoid rotor. Dry all but wheels.
3) Wash wheels with gentle hose spray, drying any splatter. Surprisingly little.
4) Compressed air, especially rotors, bolts, and puddle areas, then dry
5) Wait X hours
6) Take for a spin to grind rust off rotors
7) compressed air rust dust, finish with damp microfiber
8) cry and question life choices

Last edited by foobarmontoya; 08-05-2015 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: Grammars
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 07:43 PM   #13
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

I used Hyde's after every wash before I went CCB. Like what already said, it's not perfect. It does work though.

I used to spray with Hyde's a then do this.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #14
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Finally tried out Hyde's and it works pretty well. Here's my routine:
1) rinse wheels with spotless system and pressure washer then spray Hyde's on the rotors.
2) wash wheels, rinse, then spray Hyde's again
3) dry wheels with microfiber towels, gently wipe off rotors with a separate towel and blow dry with Airblaster sidekick (gets all the little drops hidden in cracks)
4) let sit overnight to completely dry
No more rust!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 10:13 AM   #15
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

everything stated here is true, that being said this is a product will not rid you of rust on the rotors permanently, it will reduce the amount of rust greatly after the wash if done right.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 01:23 PM   #16
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels View Post
Finally tried out Hyde's and it works pretty well. Here's my routine:
1) rinse wheels with spotless system and pressure washer then spray Hyde's on the rotors.
2) wash wheels, rinse, then spray Hyde's again
3) dry wheels with microfiber towels, gently wipe off rotors with a separate towel and blow dry with Airblaster sidekick (gets all the little drops hidden in cracks)
4) let sit overnight to completely dry
No more rust!
OMG how long does it take you to wash your wheels?! It almost takes me less time to do the whole car than the wheels. I'm tempted to try that PoorBoy's spray-on, rinse off stuff. Damn I need CCB's
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #17
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Damn I need CCB's
Since you mentioned in another thread that you have the CR Spotless, do you find that it helps to cut down the rust on the rotors?
      08-27-2015, 09:45 PM   #18
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02
Quote:
Damn I need CCB's
Since you mentioned in another thread that you have the CR Spotless, do you find that it helps to cut down the rust on the rotors?
No, it does not cut down on the rust.
Just helps with the water spots on the black wheels.
      08-28-2015, 03:29 PM   #19
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
Ya, it does nothing for the rust. But it does give you 0 TDS water, and you can basically wash your car in the sunlight and just walk away. I like mine a lot. Now if we just didn't have this damn drought in Cali, I could use it more often
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #20
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNuvo Boston View Post
Awesome for preventing that instant/pesky rust layer on the rotors.
Quote:
Ya, it does nothing for the rust.
Thank you for the feedback, but I am wondering why the results are so different. The motivation for my question was that I had read on a detailing forum that it helped with the rust on the rotors, but there as well there seemed to be no consensus. If the CR Spotless really helped with this, I would buy it in a heartbeat. The Rustopper doesn't do it for me.
      08-28-2015, 05:21 PM   #21
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNuvo Boston View Post
Awesome for preventing that instant/pesky rust layer on the rotors.
Quote:
Ya, it does nothing for the rust.
Thank you for the feedback, but I am wondering why the results are so different. The motivation for my question was that I had read on a detailing forum that it helped with the rust on the rotors, but there as well there seemed to be no consensus. If the CR Spotless really helped with this, I would buy it in a heartbeat. The Rustopper doesn't do it for me.
Here's my wheel after following my procedure above. No rust, no drips, no water spots, 5k mi and they look brand new!
Attached Images

08-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #22
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here's my wheel after following my procedure above. No rust, no drips, no water spots, 5k mi and they look brand new!
I should probably have stated a bit more clearly what I meant by "Rustopper doesn't do it for me".

It does significantly reduce the amount of rust if it is applied (like you seem to do) each time the rotors get wet. If you are just washing the wheels, it is a good solution.

But if you are washing the wheels and then the rest of the car, you have to keep applying it (and wiping off the excess) multiple times. In the end, this doesn't save me any time compared to just going for a short drive after washing and drying the car to clear the rust from the rotors and then wiping the wheels with a microfiber cloth and a detailer.

Last edited by dmnc02; 08-28-2015 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0