BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #1
adaboost
Christmas Island
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

2011 DCT E93 battery + error code issues

I've been having battery issues for about a month, where there is a warning "Increased battery discharge" if I start the car after leaving it off for 6 or more hours. If I leave it off for more than 48 hours, then the battery dies completely (i.e. I have gotten it jumped by my insurance 4 times now). Took it to an independent shop 2 weeks ago, they replaced the battery, but couldn't find the source of the "Increased battery discharge" warning (they tested it for a week). Woke up this morning and found the car completely dead again after not driving it for 2 days.

Called towing and had them jump it, but this time a new error message came up, Transmission failure / fault, engine is fine and running so is headlights, nav, etc, but the DCT won't shift into any gear or neutral. Tow truck is on its way, and I've looked at the manual to see how to manually force it to neutral (lever under the shift boot), but its pretty frustrating to have a relatively low milelage (14k) car have so many electronics issues
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
BartM3
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT Individual

Get a new OEM battery installed by the dealership and it will all be just fine! The M3 goes through batteries like Cookie Monster goes trough... You get the point...

It sucks, but this is just one of the few weaknesses of the M3.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 02:52 PM   #3
mbox
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

have your car re-programed for the new battery either at the dealer or at an independent shop. Any shop with autologic can register the new battery to your car. You can use an oem battery or a comparable one wth similar specs. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 04:11 PM   #4
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaboost View Post
I've been having battery issues for about a month, where there is a warning "Increased battery discharge" if I start the car after leaving it off for 6 or more hours. If I leave it off for more than 48 hours, then the battery dies completely (i.e. I have gotten it jumped by my insurance 4 times now). Took it to an independent shop 2 weeks ago, they replaced the battery, but couldn't find the source of the "Increased battery discharge" warning (they tested it for a week). Woke up this morning and found the car completely dead again after not driving it for 2 days.

Called towing and had them jump it, but this time a new error message came up, Transmission failure / fault, engine is fine and running so is headlights, nav, etc, but the DCT won't shift into any gear or neutral. Tow truck is on its way, and I've looked at the manual to see how to manually force it to neutral (lever under the shift boot), but its pretty frustrating to have a relatively low milelage (14k) car have so many electronics issues
I think those are all related to your battery issue, once you are going to put the right battery with the registration (Suggestion: tool32 program with KDCAN cable) it will be just fine don't worry and also check this out :

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 09:15 PM   #5
adaboost
Christmas Island
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Thanks for the tips, yeah the second independent shop said the first shop did install a new OEM battery, but didn't code it to the car (incompetent first shop). They also offered to apply the latest software updates (apparently its behind 18 versions).

If you're curious and in the bay area, the shop its currently at is called European Auto Works, whereas the shop that failed to even code the battery was European Auto Repair (its confusing).
Appreciate 0