proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

07-03-2015, 09:58 PM   #1
fishskis
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Leather Masters Products?

I am about to order Leather Masters cleaner and protector for my Silverstone interior. But I'm curious if there is a difference between their products labeled specifically for the car and their products that do not specifically say they are for the car.

I am planning on buying the kit has the soft cleaner and the protector and a couple of sponges and cloths, but it is not labeled for cars in any way. Is this product recommended?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 06:50 AM   #2
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishskis View Post
I am about to order Leather Masters cleaner and protector for my Silverstone interior. But I'm curious if there is a difference between their products labeled specifically for the car and their products that do not specifically say they are for the car.

I am planning on buying the kit has the soft cleaner and the protector and a couple of sponges and cloths, but it is not labeled for cars in any way. Is this product recommended?

Thank you.
That should be fine. I am buying the same kit and also comes with the ink pen removal.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 03:05 PM   #3
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

I don't think my LeatherMaster's stuff says it's car specific. IME, you might be better off just getting the strong cleaner, leather barrier, and dye remover. The soft cleaner is pretty weak (you'll want strong cleaner); the leather barrier is a combo of Vital + Protection in one product; the dye remover will be needed for... well... dye removal. I'd think this is especially important with SS leather. I have SO, and even on this color, had a little dye transfer from some jeans that would not come out with strong cleaner. But the dye remover did the trick
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Darn so the soft cleaner and ink remover not that useful. I will have also SO interior and was worried about jeans dye transfer... How dark/new were your jeans?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 05:31 PM   #5
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Darn so the soft cleaner and ink remover not that useful. I will have also SO interior and was worried about jeans dye transfer... How dark/new were your jeans?
I would say soft cleaner is not that useful; I have no experience with ink remover, but I think the instructions say to use it within a certain time period for best results. I'm sure it works well. I just didn't have a use for it since I don't write on my leather with pens or markers

My jeans were probably a year old, but pretty dark. I wasn't expecting any dye transfer, so I didn't notice until I was cleaning the leather.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #6
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
I would say soft cleaner is not that useful; I have no experience with ink remover, but I think the instructions say to use it within a certain time period for best results. I'm sure it works well. I just didn't have a use for it since I don't write on my leather with pens or markers

My jeans were probably a year old, but pretty dark. I wasn't expecting any dye transfer, so I didn't notice until I was cleaning the leather.
Wow even after one year and on SO... so guess it's a must to get the transfer dye removal for us dark jeans lovers I just threw $30 ion that not so useful kit...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 07:49 PM   #7
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

I really like the Leather Masters stuff. The other option that is great is Leatherique.

Strong Cleaner
Follow with Leather Vital
Finish with Leather Protection Cream

Soft cleaner doesn't do much. It you don't want to do three steps, you can buy Leather Barrier instead of Vital/Protection Cream.

I did my interior recently.

Appreciate 1
      07-06-2015, 08:50 PM   #8
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Money2536 is the protection cream good enough for brand new interior? I kinda feel that the vital is unnecessary for brand new leather? The soft cleaner could be useful for frequent cleanup/maintenance and use the strong cleaner once in a while. Good detailed vid, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 08:54 PM   #9
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Money2536 is the protection cream good enough for brand new interior? I kinda feel that the vital is unnecessary for brand new leather? The soft cleaner could be useful for frequent cleanup/maintenance and use the strong cleaner once in a while. Good detailed vid, thanks.
If you aren't going to use both, just get Leather Barrier. It's designed to be a 1 step.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 09:09 PM   #10
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Have you tired poorboys Leather cleaner? Nothing but good things to say about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 09:31 PM   #11
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMBSSM4

I have Silverstone interior. I use these:

Silversone leather:
Step 1: Leather Master Strong Cleaner Leather Cleaner
Step 2: Leather Master Barrier - Leather Conditioner and Protectant (not use on suede or dark leathers)

Black Leather:
Step 1: Leather Master Strong Cleaner Leather Cleaner (same as above)
Step 2: Leather Master Protection Cream 250

I also have:
Leather Master Dye Transfer Remover - Denim Stain Remover. Use only when needed. I don't wear indigo blue bedazzled pants so its pretty rare.
and
I also have Leather Master Vital Leather Conditioner but I don't plan on using it any time soon
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 07:55 PM   #12
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

The Leather Master line is what I have been using on my cars and clients cars for years.

Take a look at the complete line up.

You can use the above mentioned

Leather Master Strong Cleaner
Leather Master Barrier on newer cars

Keep up with it and your silver stone interior should stay nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 02:45 PM   #13
emfo
Rep
Drives: TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
The Leather Master line is what I have been using on my cars and clients cars for years.

Take a look at the complete line up.

You can use the above mentioned

Leather Master Strong Cleaner
Leather Master Barrier on newer cars

Keep up with it and your silver stone interior should stay nice.
To clarify, for newer cars, (I have Sakhir orange leather, 3 wks old), I will only need to use Barrier? Or I need to use Strong Cleaner then Barrier?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 09:27 PM   #14
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

I would still use it on the first application.

But it's not necessary.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 07:11 PM   #15
emfo
Rep

Quote:

But it's not necessary.
Someone told me Barrier is for white leather only. They said I should be using the Strong cleaner and protective cream (matte) on my SO leather.

1) is that true that I can't use Barrier for SO
2) I can only find one website that sells Leather Master protective cream MATTE VERSION. Most just have generic protective cream..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #16
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a disturbed shark!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by emfo
Quote:

But it's not necessary.
Someone told me Barrier is for white leather only. They said I should be using the Strong cleaner and protective cream (matte) on my SO leather.

1) is that true that I can't use Barrier for SO
2) I can only find one website that sells Leather Master protective cream MATTE VERSION. Most just have generic protective cream..
The Leather Barrier bottle says not to use it on dark colored leather. That being said I accidentally applied it to my SO leather (got it mixed up b/c I was cleaning the wife's X5 as well with white leather) and the result is "so far" the same as with the matte leather protection cream, maybe a tad shinier and dare I say "softer" but I could just be going nuts. Unless the SO starts peeling or all of a sudden falling apart I am going to continue using the barrier on it since it's one less step and two products I don't have to buy on top of the strong cleaner and barrier which is a must for the white leather...

Again, just my personal experience (or mistake) so far
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2015, 09:00 PM   #17
emfo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miula View Post
The Leather Barrier bottle says not to use it on dark colored leather. That being said I accidentally applied it to my SO leather (got it mixed up b/c I was cleaning the wife's X5 as well with white leather) and the result is "so far" the same as with the matte leather protection cream, maybe a tad shinier and dare I say "softer" but I could just be going nuts. Unless the SO starts peeling or all of a sudden falling apart I am going to continue using the barrier on it since it's one less step and two products I don't have to buy on top of the strong cleaner and barrier which is a must for the white leather...

Again, just my personal experience (or mistake) so far
Thanks for sharing your experience! I really want to keep it matte, but I have a bottle of the barrier right now. Decisions decisions..
Appreciate 0