EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

07-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #1
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Pressure Joe on the way!

So I just ordered a Pressure Joe power washer, been wanting one for some time now, finally pulling the trigger, no pun intended.

Any helpful hints for car washing would be greatly appreciated as I've never used one before on an automobile, especially an expensive one, f80, like this.

Thanks folks.
      07-02-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
saxon
Captain
Rep
Drives: s4

get an mtm foam cannon

for the hose hookups i recommend the quick connects so that you can hook it up to the pressure washer and then back to a normal nozzle with ease
      07-03-2015, 08:50 AM   #3
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxon View Post
get an mtm foam cannon

for the hose hookups i recommend the quick connects so that you can hook it up to the pressure washer and then back to a normal nozzle with ease
That looks great, found a YouTube video in action. Nice suggestion. THX!
      07-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
Gravymark
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxon View Post
get an mtm foam cannon
I completely second this! I got mine and it is great. It's sold in quite a few places, so take a look around the various sites. I ended up getting mine with a free gallon of car wash and now I question why I waited so long to get one!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #5
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravymark View Post
I completely second this! I got mine and it is great. It's sold in quite a few places, so take a look around the various sites. I ended up getting mine with a free gallon of car wash and now I question why I waited so long to get one!
Does the wash really work as advertised, "touchless car wash cleaning"? Hard to believe but I won't be disappointed if it does.
      07-03-2015, 03:32 PM   #6
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Does the wash really work as advertised, "touchless car wash cleaning"? Hard to believe but I won't be disappointed if it does.
No it wont get everything off touchless.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 10:17 PM   #7
Gravymark
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3

Quote:
Not everything, but it does get a decent amount off. Plus it's fun to cover your car in foam!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 08:48 AM   #8
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravymark View Post
Not everything, but it does get a decent amount off. Plus it's fun to cover your car in foam!
Yeah, my neibhors are going to freak when they see the first foam bath, based on what I've seen on you tube. They already think I'm a little odd with all the washing I do. This will definitely make me the topic of conversation.
      07-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #9
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, my neibhors are going to freak when they see the first foam bath, based on what I've seen on you tube. They already think I'm a little odd with all the washing I do. This will definitely make me the topic of conversation.
I use the washer with just water from a safe distance, apply a coat of foam and let it sit 5 or so minutes, spray off with washer, apply foam layer 2, 2 bucket wash while foam layer is on, spray off, "flood" with the hose so most of the water sheets off, and then dry lightly with an electric blower and good cloth.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #10
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I use the washer with just water from a safe distance, apply a coat of foam and let it sit 5 or so minutes, spray off with washer, apply foam layer 2, 2 bucket wash while foam layer is on, spray off, "flood" with the hose so most of the water sheets off, and then dry lightly with an electric blower and good cloth.
Good advise, thank you. Brings up another question you make reference to, "a safe distance from the car". I bought the Joe2000. It has more pressure than the entry level one. Is the pressure adjustable by valve or tip? How far back do you stand to ensure you don't do any damage to the paint? I'm guessing about 5 ft or so?
      07-04-2015, 09:48 AM   #11
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good advise, thank you. Brings up another question you make reference to, "a safe distance from the car". I bought the Joe2000. It has more pressure than the entry level one. Is the pressure adjustable by valve or tip? How far back do you stand to ensure you don't do any damage to the paint? I'm guessing about 5 ft or so?
There are a bunch of tips. I have been using the 25 degree one. I use it about a foot or two away I would say.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #12
morgan302
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 2015

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Wonder what pressure washing does to the dirt on the car seems like it would push it in rather than off. I have never used on on any thing but the drive way and very dirty parts. I am sure it would be faster just not sure if it is safer for the paint. High end detail shops that I have seen in Atlanta and Miami don't use any power washers. I guess I am just old fashion. I like a wool mitt and warm soapy water.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #13
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan302 View Post
Wonder what pressure washing does to the dirt on the car seems like it would push it in rather than off. I have never used on on any thing but the drive way and very dirty parts. I am sure it would be faster just not sure if it is safer for the paint. High end detail shops that I have seen in Atlanta and Miami don't use any power washers. I guess I am just old fashion. I like a wool mitt and warm soapy water.
I would say old fashioned. We are not talking about gas pressured washers here.

Both of the high end detailers I go to in Atlanta use them.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 09:59 AM   #14
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan302 View Post
IME, the pressure washer is pretty safe on the paint. You can spray your hand with it, and not pull your skin off, unlike gas pressure washers people use to clean decks and siding. You use more force pushing a wash mitt. Depending on the age and cleanliness of your wool mitt, and your technique, you may be doing more harm than good.

It's debatable whether you NEED a pressure washer/foam bath. All 'high-end' detailers I know of use them. If you have it, why not? It's the safest way to go, but takes extra time. Emulsifies and lubricates that initial layer of dirt, so you lessen your chances of grinding it in and marring the paint.

You'll love the pressure washer OP. I have to admit, one of the main reasons I got one was to use the foam cannon
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 07:33 AM   #15
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
IME, the pressure washer is pretty safe on the paint. You can spray your hand with it, and not pull your skin off, unlike gas pressure washers people use to clean decks and siding. You use more force pushing a wash mitt. Depending on the age and cleanliness of your wool mitt, and your technique, you may be doing more harm than good.

It's debatable whether you NEED a pressure washer/foam bath. All 'high-end' detailers I know of use them. If you have it, why not? It's the safest way to go, but takes extra time. Emulsifies and lubricates that initial layer of dirt, so you lessen your chances of grinding it in and marring the paint.

You'll love the pressure washer OP. I have to admit, one of the main reasons I got one was to use the foam cannon

One of the best ways I've ever washed my car, the end results are very satisfying. With proper use, and a good understanding of pressure washing, the car ends up looking great, especially the rims they have never looked so good with minimal effort. Yes, the initial cash outlay is a bit more than the cost of just a bucket of soapy water...but the end results are worth the price of entry. Recommended to those thinking of going this direction.
      07-10-2015, 08:09 AM   #16
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Not a fan of power washing at any PSI, pressure on paint surfaces just seems like a short cut to car washing, put it this way, if I took my car to a professional detailer and saw him starting the job out with a pressure washer he'd be done.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 08:37 AM   #17
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Also my comments on this topic always seem to spark controversy, I have owned BMW'S many for about 20 years, never waxed, never buffed, never pressure washed, my cars today are a f82 and a 13 128i convertible, both cars look like they just were just delivered, no dullness,no swirl marks, nothing. It's all about the wash process that causes the need to have to detail the paint surface anyway in the first place, if done properly there is no need.

I am attaching a very good read from Edmund's.com also pay attention to what the last paragraph States relating to clear coat finishes today from statements made by a chemist for PPG (that part by a commentor although) who manufactures the clear coat. Then finally nowhere in the article does it mention anything about pressure washing.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/conf...detailers.html

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #18
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR View Post
Also my comments on this topic always seem to spark controversy, I have owned BMW'S many for about 20 years, never waxed, never buffed, never pressure washed, my cars today are a f82 and a 13 128i convertible, both cars look like they just were just delivered, no dullness,no swirl marks, nothing. It's all about the wash process that causes the need to have to detail the paint surface anyway in the first place, if done properly there is no need.

I am attaching a very good read from Edmund's.com also pay attention to what the last paragraph States relating to clear coat finishes today from statements made by a chemist for PPG who manufactures the clear coat. Then finally nowhere in the article does it mention anything about pressure washing.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/conf...detailers.html
Hard to believe a factory BMW has no swirls on it without ever being buffed because frankly they have swirls from the factory. Much less numerous cars without them. Maybe you just don't see them. I mean your car is Alpine White. Have you checked under proper lighting?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #19
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08
Quote:

I am attaching a very good read from Edmund's.com also pay attention to what the last paragraph States relating to clear coat finishes today from statements made by a chemist for PPG who manufactures the clear coat. Then finally nowhere in the article does it mention anything about pressure washing.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/conf...detailers.html" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.edmunds.c...ilers.html</a>
Hard to believe a factory BMW has no swirls on it without ever being buffed because frankly they have swirls from the factory. Much less numerous cars without them. Maybe you just don't see them. I mean your car is Alpine White. Have you checked under proper lighting?
My last color was on a 640i a dark blue that looked black I can't remember the definition of that paint color now although, I live in the Temecula CA, area would be happy to show anybody my paint surfaces in direct sunlight, no BS, keep in mind my paint will look like yours but it won't feel the same, in other words the wax feels better to a microfiber towel after washing but the appearance will be the same.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 08:57 AM   #20
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

In an 8 billion dollar yearly gross revenue industry as Edmund's sites in article, do you think they're really going to want to tell you what I have said here.?

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #21
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not a fan of power washing at any PSI, pressure on paint surfaces just seems like a short cut to car washing, put it this way, if I took my car to a professional detailer and saw him starting the job out with a pressure washer he'd be done.
Yeah...not going to debate hose/bucket wash vs pressure/soap bottle bucket wash, folks can make up their own minds on this but I will say, when operating power tools a level of knowledge and respect must be implemented to ensure a positive result.

I especially appreciate the power washer results on my wheels, now with every wash the rims look great!
      07-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #22
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

make sure u buy a metal house quick connect to replace the plastic included one which leaks from day 1
Appreciate 0