Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

06-25-2015, 08:31 PM   #1
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Car washing frowned upon by neighbor

Hey everyone, I want to get your opinions on what caught me by surprise today. I'd like to know what you guys would consider "often" for washing your car.
While I was out today cleaning my car, my neighbor approaches me and politely tells me that I clean my car too much and that I should put in effort to save water like everyone else in the neighborhood and water my lawn less and stop cleaning my car. I was shocked to hear this as I didn't even notice my neighbor walk up to me. To give you guys a little back story, I live in San Francisco where I know there is a mandatory 10% water cut back. I use two bucket method to wash my car and have a pressure washer as well. I wash my car every two or three weeks.

What do you guys think? I feel like my neighbor is trying to be a little whistle blower in the area and put a little fear in me and prevent me from washing my car. I know I am not breaking any laws but the way this guy came at me was kind of a shock and he even had the nerve to say "I notice you wash your car very often" before trying to guilt trip me about using too much water. I understand that there is a drought and washing cars can waste a lot of water but I like to keep my car clean and I do my best not to use excess water while cleaning.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Just my opinion. But if your state is under persistent and historic drought conditions and mandatory water cut backs are in effect, washing your fancy sports car every other week may come across to some neighbors as selfish.

Going to a community car wash using recycled water may be more prudent. Better optics.
Appreciate 7
      06-25-2015, 08:50 PM   #3
wazzza
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80x M3C

Garage List
(Or move to Seattle. You may actually get frowned upon for not washing your car.)
      06-25-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

if what you are doing is legal, i'd tell your neighbor to fuck off and not trespass on your property.

pardon my french.
      06-25-2015, 08:57 PM   #5
KIS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Jaguar F Type R

I would thank him for bringing it to your attention and then do whatever you feel is right, since washing your car is apparently not violating the law.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 08:59 PM   #6
likecars
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Convertible

Is this a neighbor you like? I'd smile and say thank you.

I live in San Diego. I never thought I would, as I am very passionate about detailing my cars, but I switched to rinseless washes a couple of years ago. Are you familiar with this style of washing?

I still use the hose to clean my rims, it's just too messy with break dust not to, but I only use two buckets to wash my car. My car is garaged so it's not extremely dirty and I wash weekly.

Let me know if you want more information.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 09:03 PM   #7
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I'd either clandestinely wash your car late at night, go to a public wash, or try to wash less frequently (though every 3 weeks is infrequent, in my book). you'll never win the battle arguing with your neighbor, and no sense in creating enemies, no matter which side of the law you're on or how little you care about your neighbor(s).
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2015, 09:08 PM   #8
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

It's your fault for making your neighbor feel comfortable enough to approach you with such invasive, utter BS. How annoying.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #9
Voodi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW F82

I've elected on cutting down washing the car for the same reason and going to other means to keep the whip clean. The drought sucks.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 09:16 PM   #10
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Just my opinion. But if your state is under persistent and historic drought conditions and mandatory water cut backs are in effect, washing your fancy sports car every other week may come across to some neighbors as selfish.

Going to a community car wash using recycled water may be more prudent. Better optics.
That is exactly what I am thinking, neighbor seeing me as selfish. I may have to use the community car wash as I don't think this guy is going to back down if he sees me in a few weeks cleaning again

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsavized View Post
(Or move to Seattle. You may actually get frowned upon for not washing your car.)
I like California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
if what you are doing is legal, i'd tell your neighbor to fuck off and not trespass on your property.

pardon my french.
I am not going to lie. I really thought about saying something along those lines but cooler heads prevailed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likecars View Post
Is this a neighbor you like? I'd smile and say thank you.

I live in San Diego. I never thought I would, as I am very passionate about detailing my cars, but I switched to rinseless washes a couple of years ago. Are you familiar with this style of washing?

I still use the hose to clean my rims, it's just too messy with break dust not to, but I only use two buckets to wash my car. My car is garaged so it's not extremely dirty and I wash weekly.

Let me know if you want more information.
That just it. I have never met this neighbor, he just approached me and laid it on me. He was nice so I took what he said and just responded nicely. And yes, I would love more info on spotless washing. I only started getting serious about cleaning my car when I picked mine up in October. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
I'd either clandestinely wash your car late at night, go to a public wash, or try to wash less frequently (though every 3 weeks is infrequent, in my book). you'll never win the battle arguing with your neighbor, and no sense in creating enemies, no matter which side of the law you're on or how little you care about your neighbor(s).
I agree with what you are saying. I don't want to argue or play the law game with this guy.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #11
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

like others have said, if ur not breaking the law, than tell ur neighbor thanks for the suggestion but u'll do what u feel is right and he can do the same
      06-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #12
Cooltones
Happy M Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, F82 M4, G05 X5

Option 1: Tell him you've chosen to eat less, thus decreasing your frequency of going "number 2" which has resulted in fewer toilet flushes, which in turn has allowed you to reallocate the water spent on toilet flushing to washing your car...

Option 2: Just respond with, "If I want sh*t from you, I'll squeeze your head..."

Option 3: Follow some of the other bits of advice above (i.e. wash your car at a public wash, wash your car later in the evening...)
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2015, 09:23 PM   #13
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltones
Option 1: Tell him you've chosen to eat less, thus decreasing your frequency of going "number 2" which has resulted in fewer toilet flushes, which in turn has allowed you to reallocate the water spent on toilet flushing to washing your car...

Option 2: Just respond with, "If I want sh*t from you, I'll squeeze your head..."

Option 3: Follow some of the other bits of advice above (i.e. wash your car at a public wash, wash your car later in the evening...)
I like options 1 and 2
      06-25-2015, 09:24 PM   #14
gearboxtrouble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post

I agree with this. Power washing your expensive sports car every two weeks seems very selfish when there's a historic water shortage in your state. Its not a question of whether you can afford it or not but about doing the right thing. Washing your car that often definitely qualifies as non essential and avoidable use of a scarce shared resource. I'd even go so far as to say your neighbor was correct in calling you out for it. Use a car wash like everyone else and you won't be drought shamed.
Appreciate 3
      06-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #15
F80_M
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1/1 PSM F80, F36, G11

Haters gonna hate
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2015, 09:41 PM   #16
likecars
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Convertible

www.autopia.org/forums/the-detail-institute-presented-by-autopia-carcare-com/37262-rinseless-wash-vehicle.html

Hopefully the link works. If it doesn't Google: Autopia rinseless washing

Don't worry about all the products, take a look at the process.

I like Ultima Waterless Wash and Optimum No Rinse. Half the fun of washing is trying new products.

Hope this helps get you started.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 09:43 PM   #17
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Once every 2 to 3 weeks is pretty conservative. I usually go about 3-4. You are not compulsive and none of your neighbors business!! Good luck and have fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 09:44 PM   #18
sdshah
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 | Panamera GTS

Tell that motherxxxxxxx to get off your property before you blow his face off. Two bucket method is fine. The fuck you think the mexi washes are using.

Why do people
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 09:45 PM   #19
okroger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: plugged in

The biggest question is the type of residence you own. Condo? Gated community? In the burbs off a cul de sac? If it was anything other than a condo, id tell the neighbor to remove himself from your residence and mind his own fing business. If it was a condo id again tell him piss off and take it up with the association.

Too many people try and interject their opinions and ethics on others via guilt or other measures. That shit can stop just as fast as it started imo. You are outside washing a car. Thats your thing. Maybe this ned flanders takes 30 minute showers. Go bang on hos doors when you notice the windows fogged up longer than 5 minutes. Maybe remind him all his kids could share a bath. I mean whats good for the goose is good for the gander, no?
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2015, 09:54 PM   #20
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

What I did

Not too many years ago we had a major drought in my area complete with water restrictions. I decided to see how little water I could use to wash my car. I read my meter before and after I washed and discovered I could use just over four gallons and do a good job. Most people believed that I was using far more than that but when I told them how little I used, they were not as concerned.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 09:55 PM   #21
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

ONR Wash and Wax:
http://www.autogeek.net/no-rinse-wash-and-wax.html
I use this and I don't even live in drought conditions.

You can even buy a gallon or two of water and wash your car with it.

Last edited by gblansten; 06-25-2015 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 09:57 PM   #22
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

lol sucks to live in california
Appreciate 0