Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

06-25-2015, 05:53 PM   #1
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

cleaning carbonstructure cloth seats?

Hi guys,

Lots of discussion on leather care on the forums, but what about the carbonstructure cloth seats?

I'm ashamed to admit that I recently dumped half a cup of iced tea on my driver's seat and am looking for ideas on how to do a thorough deep cleaning of the seat.

I got most of the liquid out right away way using napkins and microfiber towels, dried out the seat, then used ONR at interior detailer strength followed by water to get out any remaining surface residue.

I've looked into what E36, E46 and E9X cloth seat owners have used and have seen recommendations ranging from Sonax and Scotchgard upholstery cleaners to Bissell "little green machine" cleaning machine.

Anyone have a recommendation that is specific to our car?

Regards,
Nick
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
saxon
Captain
Rep
Drives: s4

i know the first thing i will be doing to my interior is scotchgard, then i will just use a steamer and microfibers to upkeep
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 07:03 PM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

For the steamer, is that truly a machine that generates steam, or more like one of those Bissell "little green machine"?

Any links to the steamer you are thinking about? Does it just use water or is there an upholstery cleaner mixed in there?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #4
saxon
Captain
Rep
Drives: s4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
For the steamer, is that truly a machine that generates steam, or more like one of those Bissell "little green machine"?

Any links to the steamer you are thinking about? Does it just use water or is there an upholstery cleaner mixed in there?
http://www.amazon.com/McCulloch-MC-1.../dp/B0000DF0RB

you can use some type of detergent but unless its really bad it wont be needed
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 10:08 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxon View Post
http://www.amazon.com/McCulloch-MC-1.../dp/B0000DF0RB

you can use some type of detergent but unless its really bad it wont be needed
Thanks for the recommendation.. got to keep that away from the trim... might cause the glues to come undone!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 07:39 AM   #6
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

When I had the fabric seats in my E90 M3 I used a rented steam cleaner and just cleaned the cushions and seat backs of the front and rear seats. Worked awesome!! I was just careful to set the cleaner to use minimal steam/water so as not to screw up the heated seat coils or drip down onto the motors under the seat.

In between, I use Griots's Garage interior cleaner. Dye and fragrance free, it is a silver bullet for cleaning the interior, including the cloth seats.
Appreciate 0