Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

06-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
Walt Dockery
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: na

Car detailing vac recs?

This might be a stupid/boring question but with all the detailed discussion of polishes, waxes etc. as well as hour + long videos posted on detailing gear, I was surprised the search feature turned up nothing.

I am going back to cleaning/detailing my cars myself after years of paying a professional, I just ordered a bunch of detailing products (mostly from AmmoNYC, I've been watching a number of his videos) and one of the last things I need is a decent detailing or shop vac. The only one I see Larry mention specifically is the Festool which starts at ~$475. I guess I could pay that as I'm kind of a gear queer, but seems like overkill for basic garage + car needs.

I guess my question is, is a higher end vac like the Festool, or an auto specific vac like the metrovac, going to be any better for basic car cleaning duty than a basic craftsman or similar shop vac or even my household miele?

What do you all use/recommend? My M3 generally stays fairly clean, although I have 2 german shepherds and am pretty active so my SUV (4Runner) can get quite hairy.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
Woodengun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yugo

I love Festool.

But for cleaning a car, the only advantage it has over a cheap big box store shop vac is quietness. You can still hold a conversation while it is running.

Another possible advantage is that you can put the systainer system on top of it. You'd have access to "stuff" while vacuuming.

I have 5 Festool vacs, lol. 3 at home - a big one with boom arm that stays at my bench, a medium one and small one for portable use around the house. Others are at other locations.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 09:36 PM   #3
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Buying festool as a dedicated detailing vac is overkill IMO. Unless perhaps if you're going into the detailing business.

I have a metrovac and whatever brand of shop vac home Depot sells. I rarely break out the metrovac save for using it as a blower recently
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 04:42 AM   #4
chimp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4|2021 X4MC|2022 X4MC

I have the Metrovac Vac N Blow. I bought the model that mounts to the wall. Plenty of power and a ton of useful attachments. It also acts as a blower which comes in handy. I have had it for only a month but I do not have a single complaint. It is so convenient to simply grab the hose off the wall versus lugging the Dyson from inside the house or maneuvering my shop vac throughout the garage.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 07:17 AM   #5
Walt Dockery
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah, the Festool I wasn't really seriously considering just mentioned it as sort of a high end data/price point.

It seems like a wall mounted unit is the way to go, either the metrovac wall mount version or the vacumaid garagevac seem to get the best reviews.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 10:38 AM   #6
volkl23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

I don't have a shopvac, so I just use my trusty Dyson Animal. Gets the job done and then some.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
RJVIII
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Rigid shop vac, or my Dyson
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 01:53 PM   #8
Walt Dockery
Private First Class
Rep

Ordered the metrovac wall mount (PRO-83BA) w/ 24' hose. Seems that and the vacumaid had the best reviews, I went w/ the metrovac as it's a bit slimmer and my garage is pretty tight (2 separate one-car bays, total pain in the ass of a layout but it's what I've got).
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 10:01 PM   #9
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
I have a Dyson rechargable hand-vac for most day to day stuff. V6 I think? Keep it plugged in in the garage so it's always ready to give a quick once over. For heavier cleaning I use the house vacuum or a cash place.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 0