BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

06-01-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
RedBolden
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

Car dropped off at port and vanished.

My M4 was on the Artemis Leader and was dropped at port on the 26th. Been calling CA, no response and called the 800 number and all they know is that the car was dropped on the 26th. The experience of going to Europe was cool but, it's been a long process that I think I'll skip if I buy another Bimmer.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Could be in customs hell. ED cars can take a little longer off the boat. Once it hits the VPC, you'll know more. Also the 26th was just after a holiday weekend. Likely to be a backlog of cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #3
RedBolden
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

Yes, I'm in Cali, the weather is nice and my 73k car that's paid for is in purgatory, not cool at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #4
Brennan ///M4
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRed_BSMC View Post
My M4 was on the Artemis Leader and was dropped at port on the 26th. Been calling CA, no response and called the 800 number and all they know is that the car was dropped on the 26th. The experience of going to Europe was cool but, it's been a long process that I think I'll skip if I buy another Bimmer.
My car was dropped off at the port in Halifax on the 19th, and the next update I received was after it cleared customs on the 25th (about 6 days), so I'd say you're not too far off the beaten path.
      06-01-2015, 04:14 PM   #5
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, I'm in Cali, the weather is nice and my 73k car that's paid for is in purgatory, not cool at all.
Chill! It is normal. My M3 spent 3 weeks at the port as there was some sort of a strike going on at the time.

My previous car cleared it in 3 days.

This is all part of the process and it has nothing to do with your $73K car or anything that BMW can do for you. BMW has no control over the customs process.

You better hope that your car was not damaged during the transport so that it wont spend even more time at VDC.

Has it been 10 weeks since you drop off the car? That is BMWs obligation to get the car to you if you read the fine print.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 4
      06-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #6
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Not purgatory, just working its way through the supply chain.
It took my ED car 9 days to make it from port of entry (NJ) to my dealership that is ~25 miles away. Between unloading, customs, prep, transportation, more prep, and dealer truancy, I would say you will get your car by the end of this week.

Unless you are in Cali.
In which case, all bets are off

a
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 05:41 PM   #7
guarnibl
Major
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day.

I was told a similar timeframe... I think that's normal OP. I had curiously asked how long it would take once the car showed up at port and was told a week or two to make it even to the shipping transport. As far as tracking where it is, well, I have no idea :P

I'm giving it 10-12 weeks from the day it is dropped off at the drop off location, and ignoring everything until they call me Just not much of a point otherwise. I trust they'll get the car there in good shape and before the 12 week estimate.
      06-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #8
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRed_BSMC
What a DB thing to say.

My 140K m6(paid too) has been sitting for a bit at the port but It's part of the process.
And yes, I have this beautiful CA weather to soak in as well.

Let it play its course & Chill out.
      06-02-2015, 04:12 AM   #9
BMWCAT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E39, F90

Quote:
ED cars need to clear the custom and does have lower priority than other cars. first priority will be pre sold customer orders, then Dealer order cars, and then ED, it just how things goes. I have a friend did ED on M5.. It sat at the Port for 2 weeks due to some heavy back up... Just wait it won't go anywhere!
      06-02-2015, 06:25 AM   #10
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Guys I don't know where you guys are getting this fact that Customs holds our ED cars longer and/or look at them differently, this is not true. No such thing as different priority categories either.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #11
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 | MKIV Supra | Aventador S

Quote:
Probably would've moved faster if it had been 80k.
Appreciate 2
      06-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #12
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertplus View Post
Actually that is untrue. A used car is automatically subject to more scrutiny for the simple fact that there may have been illicit materials placed/hidden in the car or the car may have been illegally modified prior to transport. If the inspectors or their canines have suspicion to believe there is something potentially hidden in doors or compartments (maybe because the car is dirty in certain areas or shows signs of illegal modifications -- VIN number destruction, car part swaps that dont pass emissions standards, hidden drugs, etc.) then they can and have in the past taken apart cars (in whole or partially) in order to ensure that nothing was in fact hidden in the car. While a newly produced car is not immune to searches, such scenarios are extremely unlikely. If this wasnt true, why else would BMW state on their website:

"It is recommended that the exterior of your vehicle is clean before you initiate shipment to U.S. The Department of Agriculture requires vehicles entering the U. S. to be clean. You may want to visit a car wash prior to dropping off your car, especially if you have traveled long distances in Europe."

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...eOverview.aspx

BMW is clearly saying that they are "recommending" you give your car the appearance of being clean so that you don't run into trouble with the Department of Agriculture -- and implicitly saying a clean car will have less chance of scrutiny. They obviously cant say "clean your car so it looks like you arent transporting drugs."
Is this conjecture or absolute certainty that ED vehicles are always delayed at port?

I've read your quote from BMW many times, but I have never interpreted it as a wink-and-a-nod warning from bmw to have your car clean or it will be searched. Rather, I took that to mean that if it's not clean it may not even make it on a ship at Bremerhaven, simply due to matter of policy.

All of what you say makes logical sense, but it still seems like conjecture on your part. Maybe a very educated, logical conjecture, but still.....

It would be valuable to know, in absolute certainty, that ED cars are delayed always as a matter of policy (or not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pups06112003 View Post
ED cars need to clear the custom and does have lower priority than other cars. first priority will be pre sold customer orders, then Dealer order cars, and then ED, it just how things goes.
This is the first I have ever heard of this being the case for port entry. Can someone show us documented proof of this?

ED cars are Priority 0, customer sold: Priority 1...ect, but this doesn't apply to port entry AFAIK, and in fact, priority 0 has always meant that those orders were "first" priority. As in CF roof delays affected Priority 1 vehicles, but not Priority 0.

I am not saying you are confusing this.....just saying that this is the first i've heard that the Port has a separate priority system in which ED cars are "last".

Would love some documentation on this.

PS...going to do some good ol' fashioned searching for more on this, that maybe I missed

My European Delivery Thread

Last edited by Bluex; 06-02-2015 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #13
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
You are absolutely correct, that my evidence is somewhat anecdotal and not "ED cars always get held longer"....my response was to the statement that "ED cars dont get held longer" or "Dont get more scrutiny." The truth is that ED cars do get more scrutiny because they are used and will show more outward signs of wear than a brand-new-fresh from the factory car. But you're right, there is no policy that they get held longer or are subjected to a stricter inspection....it's just that the nature of ED in and of itself creates a greater likelihood that the car will receive a closer look over than one that is coming from the factory brand new. There are stories of ED cars being torn apart but I havent heard that about brand new cars from the factory.
Got it. Like you, I suppose I don't like blanket statements either, unless there is proof otherwise.

Upon brief searching, there are a few threads already, some with edwinm3 already involved, that offer anecdotal evidence. But they are all just speculative. Some ED's being delayed a bit longer, some being passed through in a matter of 3 days. Your points make sense and I agree with the notion of ED cars CAN POSSIBLY be held to more scrutiny, and thus be delayed longer. However, I still would like some documentation in regards to the other posters claim that ED cars are processed at a "lower priority".

Remember, delays can happen for multiple reasons.....back log at the port, damage...ect. Tough to pinpoint anything down in a systematic fashion so one can say "it's going to take longer because it's an ED lower priority car" (as claimed by the other poster).

Anyway for further reading on this subject, if anyone is interested:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1101414

and

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1066683

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #14
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

You guys need to stop assuming, the above statements are wrong regarding the importation of vehicles into the US. Reason why they need to be clean has nothing to do with drugs or illegal activities, they need to be clean because they need to be clean of foreign soil that could bring different kind of pests and insects that could affect us here in the US. Leave it dirty and it won't get on the ship period unless the shipping co. cleans it.

As for the drugs or illegal activities, the majority of the countries these ships dock overseas while carrying our vehicles are european countries and not considered a threat of any kind to us in the US that's also the reason why most of their nationals don't need visas to enter the US for pleasure or business. Ships are tracked and if they somehow make an unscheduled stop then believe me that everything will be placed on hold and checked mainly for other reasons (Rarely the case). Has nothing to do with a vehicle being considered used or new.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #15
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post
Remember, delays can happen for multiple reasons.....back log at the port, damage...ect.
^This

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #16
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are absolutely correct, that my evidence is somewhat anecdotal and not "ED cars always get held longer"....my response was to the statement that "ED cars dont get held longer" or "Dont get more scrutiny." The truth is that ED cars do get more scrutiny because they are used and will show more outward signs of wear than a brand-new-fresh from the factory car. But you're right, there is no policy that they get held longer or are subjected to a stricter inspection....it's just that the nature of ED in and of itself creates a greater likelihood that the car will receive a closer look over than one that is coming from the factory brand new. There are stories of ED cars being torn apart but I havent heard that about brand new cars from the factory.
Anything can happen, but again there is no such thing as ED or non ED vehicle priority or category. Take this to the bank and deposit it

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 03:59 PM   #17
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
Anything can happen, but again there is no such thing as ED or non ED vehicle priority or category. Take this to the bank and deposit it
I do not want to start an argument in here but I do have a good friend who work(ed) at the VDC in CA and he did indicate to me at one point that ED and Priority 1 cars clear VDC much faster as they are sold / leased cars.

Now let me tell you this, US Customs wont give a crap if it is Priority 1, ED or & etc..... all cars will go through the same inspection regardless. ED cars were subject to something called a 9-11 check (I dont know what it is called these days) and not sure if that system is in place.

Bottom line as BMW says for West Coast cars: Your car will arrive at your dealer 8-10 weeks after drop off.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 04:04 PM   #18
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG
Quote:
I do not want to start an argument in here but I do have a good friend who work(ed) at the VDC in CA and he did indicate to me at one point that ED and Priority 1 cars clear VDC much faster as they are sold / leased cars.

Now let me tell you this, US Customs wont give a crap if it is Priority 1, ED or & etc..... all cars will go through the same inspection regardless. ED cars were subject to something called a 9-11 check (I dont know what it is called these days) and not sure if that system is in place.

Bottom line as BMW says for West Coast cars: Your car will arrive at your dealer 8-10 weeks after drop off.
No arguing here so it's cool, VDC I have no idea, as for CBP process let me assure you that it is not the same for all cars.
No such thing as 9-11 check, nope.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 04:49 PM   #19
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I dropped off my car 2-Apr and I didn't get any information about it until 25-May. It's normal.

If you are really curious, email the drop off point (i.e. I emailed Log in Log Out Munich and they sent me the manifest information)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #20
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW - F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
You guys need to stop assuming, the above statements are wrong regarding the importation of vehicles into the US. Reason why they need to be clean has nothing to do with drugs or illegal activities, they need to be clean because they need to be clean of foreign soil that could bring different kind of pests and insects that could affect us here in the US. Leave it dirty and it won't get on the ship period unless the shipping co. cleans it.

As for the drugs or illegal activities, the majority of the countries these ships dock overseas while carrying our vehicles are european countries and not considered a threat of any kind to us in the US that's also the reason why most of their nationals don't need visas to enter the US for pleasure or business. Ships are tracked and if they somehow make an unscheduled stop then believe me that everything will be placed on hold and checked mainly for other reasons (Rarely the case). Has nothing to do with a vehicle being considered used or new.
OK this is a huge assumption here too. My last ED when I checked the car in it wast filthy and walked out a bird had left me a gift on top of the dirt. That gift was still there when I picked it up at PCD a 6 weeks later and it was still filthy.

The cars have to go through a full re-inspection and take longer. Not higher or lower priority just take more time.

Funny assumptions though...

2015 M3 - MW, Sonoma, Exec, LED, Adaptive, HK, 19" Light, 6M ED 7/7/2015 - Redelivery-8/18/15
2013 535i - SG, Sonoma, M-SPort, Prem, Tech, CW, Lux Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012/PCD -12/14/12
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 06:34 PM   #21
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamiboyca
Quote:

OK this is a huge assumption here too. My last ED when I checked the car in it wast filthy and walked out a bird had left me a gift on top of the dirt. That gift was still there when I picked it up at PCD a 6 weeks later and it was still filthy.

The cars have to go through a full re-inspection and take longer. Not higher or lower priority just take more time.

Funny assumptions though...
That's also possible, some shipments get cleared electronically not requiring to physically look at the goods.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0