R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

06-01-2015, 01:38 PM   #1
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: `16 MW F80 M3

Leather supplies

Hey, guys I'm looking for some recommendations on what cleaners and conditioners you guys use for your interiors? I feel my leather is starting to wear and have some scuffs on the drivers seat. Not sure where they came from but it's on the side bolster. I feel like the leather in our cars are a lot more sensitive than I remember on my e92. Also does anyone know how to get scratches or scuffs off the material that is under our doors? The storage compartment on our doors if I confused anyone. Also not sure how I have scuffs there that feel like scratches and only thing I can think of is maybe accidentally hitting that part with my shoes?

Any advice and recommendations will be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #2
VDBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB F82

The leather in M4s is a bit sensitive and the stretching will be much more noticeable in the light colors. The good news is though it seems like it stretches when u first touch it but it just stays like that forever it doesn't get much worse like doesn't age exponentially but obviously with fair treatment.

We considered using multiple products that are recommended on here by members such as leather masters and leatherique and while I didn't try either one I went directly to bmw and got their leather cleaning equipment. To be honest its not half bad, it might not be as good or as strong as the other stuff but its enough to get the job done.

We also decided to use BMW products because if something does happen to the leather then we would be like look... all we been using is your recommended products so technically you owe us new seats because your own products did this
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 06:49 PM   #3
infamxkris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: `16 MW F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDBimmer
The leather in M4s is a bit sensitive and the stretching will be much more noticeable in the light colors. The good news is though it seems like it stretches when u first touch it but it just stays like that forever it doesn't get much worse like doesn't age exponentially but obviously with fair treatment.

We considered using multiple products that are recommended on here by members such as leather masters and leatherique and while I didn't try either one I went directly to bmw and got their leather cleaning equipment. To be honest its not half bad, it might not be as good or as strong as the other stuff but its enough to get the job done.

We also decided to use BMW products because if something does happen to the leather then we would be like look... all we been using is your recommended products so technically you owe us new seats because your own products did this
How likely is it that BMW would change the seats out? I'm thinking they will say it's normal wear and tear especially if the car has miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
VDBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamxkris View Post
How likely is it that BMW would change the seats out? I'm thinking they will say it's normal wear and tear especially if the car has miles.
It's just a thought, I meant if damage was done by the product.

If a BMW product that they recommend u use on something messes something up they are more likely to help you out compared to if an after market brand messed it up. I doubt you would get much help from the after market manufacture either.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 07:26 PM   #5
philthy84
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X2

First thing I did after taking delivery of my M4 2 weeks ago was treat it with the Leather Master products that were recommended on the forums for my SO interior. This has been my first time using their products and I'm very happy with the results.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #6
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthy84 View Post
First thing I did after taking delivery of my M4 2 weeks ago was treat it with the Leather Master products that were recommended on the forums for my SO interior. This has been my first time using their products and I'm very happy with the results.
^This

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 03:52 PM   #7
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Garage List
Sonax Leather Foam works well without any residue. Nice matte finish like new, and the beeswax ingredient is one of the greatest leather protectors ever.

Still have a 28 year old pair of L.L. Bean hunting boots that were treated with Snowseal in 1987 and the leather uppers look like brand new. Ancient Egyptians used to preserve paper documents with beeswax thousands of years ago. The shit works!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
BPe90M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AW e92 M3

1z Einzette makes a GREAT 2 in 1 cleaner/conditioner. Considering the car is so new, doing this every other week should keep it pristine. Working for me so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I use Adam's cleaner and conditioner (2 diff products), along with just about every other damn product they make. Nice leather smell, can use the leather cleaner to do other parts of the interior, easy on/off. Have used Griot's and Sonax in the past, like this stuff better. But mainly because I buy lots of cleaners from them, their customer service is fantastic, and their people are ALL really nice, and knowledgeable.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 10:47 AM   #10
AYTifosi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW F82 M4  [10.00]
Leatherique all the way. Visit their site, read the little book... their stuff is what you want to actually hydrate, nourish, clean and protect the hides in your car. Go to AutoGeek and buy the kit. Yeah, it's a little more work than spraying something on and wiping it, but if you actually want to "care" for your leather and not just make it look good, you won't be disappointed.
      07-29-2015, 09:52 PM   #11
AYTifosi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW F82 M4  [10.00]
Seems as though if the dirt doesn't wipe off, then it has penetrated the hide and needs to be cleaned. The Rejuvanator will push dirt to the surface and the Pristine clean removes it. You could try just the Pristine clean.

I posted some stuff about caring for leather, a response that I received from the Leatherique people. I don't have experience with Leathermasters - I am so happy with Leatherique I can't imagine changing.

They wrote a very no BS email to me. PM me if you want a copy.
      08-10-2015, 02:44 PM   #12
emfo
Rep
Drives: TT

Quote:
I just want to make sure I have this right:

For light leather, or older leather, you use Leather Masters Strong clean, Leather vital, leather protection.

But on something like Sakhir Orange, on new car, you use just Leather Barrier without anything else?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #13
emfo
Rep
Drives: TT

Quote:

For light leather, or older leather, you use Leather Masters Strong clean, Leather vital, leather protection.

But on something like Sakhir Orange, on new car, you use just Leather Barrier without anything else?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 09:07 PM   #14
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by emfo

Most people will still clean new leather using LM cleaner, I only had LM soft cleaner at hand which should be fine too as my SO interior was new and clean, then followed by LM barrier or protectant cream. work small sections and don't rub too hard.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 09:13 PM   #15
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I'm using the OEM leather product and calling it a day on the side bolsters of my cloth seats
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2015, 11:16 PM   #16
black335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: M 4

I have leather masters, meguires and Lexol. Leather masters is the best.
2015 Honda Accord
2020 Range Rover Sport HST
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 08:48 PM   #17
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

I use Leather Masters Strong Cleaner and Barrier and Einszett cleaner/conditioner.

I want my SS leather to look good for years
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 02:43 PM   #18
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYTifosi View Post
Leatherique all the way. Visit their site, read the little book... their stuff is what you want to actually hydrate, nourish, clean and protect the hides in your car. Go to AutoGeek and buy the kit. Yeah, it's a little more work than spraying something on and wiping it, but if you actually want to "care" for your leather and not just make it look good, you won't be disappointed.
I've used leatherique since the E36 days back in the 90's, while they're very good products the process is very long and time consuming, using them on new leather to me, it's an overkill. Perfect for neglected leather and/or for few times a year applications. To maintain new interior, leather masters products are more than enough.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0