BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-12-2015, 10:32 PM   #1
MrAdams
do a wheelie!!!
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 - '72 2002 - '65 Impala

Garage List
Started off as "Just a Bumper Job"

****disclaimer****
THIS IS NOT AN ADD - THIS IS AN INFORMATIVE WRITE UP BY AN E90 M3 OWNER IN SOCAL
FEEL FREE TO MOVE IF IN WRONG CATEGORY
Whats up everyone,
I thought this would help some of you guys, I posted this on other forums and lately I have been getting a lot of calls. From across USA people have called me for advice. BEWARE OF BODY SHOPS. some may turn a blind eye to the damage, some may hold your car hostage etc... do your homework check reviews and word of mouth if you are ever in an accident.
A lot of people are left stranded looking for a trustworthy body shop to take their precious cars. I wanted to post this thread to show the damage that can be caused from a simple rear end impact.

A customer came in for "Just a bumper Job" (his words) with some minor damage to his rear bumper on his BRAND NEW 2013 Porsche 911

Also take a look at my 1/4 panel replacement for a 135i

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850003

Let's take a look at this bumper job.
Here is what pulled up...
(Damage to the Right of License Plate)

This is going to be easy right?...

Step one is to remove the bumper and check for additional damage...
This is what we found.

Impact bar has been smashed in like a Pepsi can...

So we further remove the bar and heat shields etc...
after proper stripping we realized the frame had damage...

This being an aluminum frame Porsche requires replacement, which requires removal of engine... Let the fun begin...

Once the engine was removed we further inspected the frame and found some of the welds were beginning to separate.

Once the insurance company came out to see the additional surprises they approved and we continued to remove and replace the frame
We put the car on our Frame machine made by CAR BENCH (which is the same frame machines that Porsche Prototypes their cars with) this ensures that the car is aligned to factory specs down to the Millimeter!
With the car on Jigs and the old frame out of the way we installed the new frame. (hard to see because the frame comes black)

Here you can see the Betamate seeping thru(ultra high strength glue) That bonds the frame.

Now that the frame is back in place we had the motor put back in
Time for reassembly!!

Yes... we started it like this. Yes it was loud as FCUK!
Out with the old and In with the new!

All the new parts on the way in.
Once reassembled and tightened up, we send it to Porsche to have them clear all the codes, Align the wheels, and quality check. (Porsche dealer must do this to not void warranty) Once the car is back in our hands we send it thru our wash/detail department
Walked in on her in the shower...

And now look at that rear end!!!!!

A whole lot of work for "Just a bumper Job"

So Wherever you are located here's some tips to get a proper repair on your Porsche 991 or whatever you drive.

Check YELP wherever you are.
Make sure the shop is actually doing the work that is on the estimate
Have good insurance (IF YOU WANT OEM PARTS, READ YOUR CONTRACT!!)

We are currently being sponsored by BMW of Beverly Hills and we are an approved repair facility for
Porsche
Mercedes-Benz
Audi
VolksWagen

Feel Free to call or email me with any questions regarding any repair you may be going thru
Adam

Last edited by MrAdams; 05-14-2015 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-12-2015, 10:43 PM   #2
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Looks very expensive
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2015, 10:47 PM   #3
MrAdams
do a wheelie!!!
Mexico
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Looks very expensive
I dont recall the final bill, it was definitely in the high 10s but not as bad as you'd think.
That's why we have good insurance...

Last edited by MrAdams; 05-12-2015 at 10:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 10:54 PM   #4
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

Looks like an insurance scam to me. This is why insurance is so expensive because of people like you. Kickbacks to insurance adjusters approve this type of nonsense I can't believe you would post something like this.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 10:55 PM   #5
MrAdams
do a wheelie!!!
Mexico
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUESOM3 View Post
Looks like an insurance scam to me. This is why insurance is so expensive because of people like you. Kickbacks to insurance adjusters approve this type of nonsense I can't believe you would post something like this.
lmao, yea, I bent the frame bro

Kickbacks to the adjuster... if you only knew how much of a battle it is with these adjusters that have 2 months of training to get all this approved.

thanks for the comment.
      05-12-2015, 10:58 PM   #6
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Wow. Thanks for sharing.
      05-12-2015, 11:03 PM   #7
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

So you replaced that part of frame for that little dent that nobody can see and clearly doesnt affect anything except because it's a Porsche you had to go the extra mile and make a simple bumper replacement into something huge. Your very welcome that's why you took the liesence plate out.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 11:06 PM   #8
MrAdams
do a wheelie!!!
Mexico
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So you replaced that part of frame for that little dent that nobody can see and clearly doesnt affect anything except because it's a Porsche you had to go the extra mile and make a simple bumper replacement into something huge. Your very welcome that's why you took the liesence plate out.
there was a kink in the frame behind the rear structure we replaced. we needed to remove the already damaged rear section in order to straighten out the inner frame. all this may be mumbo jumbo to you and sound like a scam and I hope you never have to go thru it. but I have spend my time at porsche training with sponsor dealerships because they are required to have factory trained shops available to their customers. by all means you can replace the cover and go on with your life, but you're not my customer
      05-12-2015, 11:09 PM   #9
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
I don't know what the other guys are getting so uptight about, I think this is a phenomenal job. Kudos on the attention to detail, wish all shops were like you guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 11:11 PM   #10
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
i feel you are a bit out of line. did you miss the part where they discovered the welds on the frame that got jarred apart or damaged?

would you be ok with your new porsche just getting a new bumper and ignoring the body shops discovery of a damaged frame?

secondary to the above, you don't think an adjuster from the opposing insurance company wouldn't shit the bed if they had to pay the bill for a frame replacement on a new porsche if the repairs were anywhere close to illegitimate?

Last edited by roastbeef; 05-13-2015 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 11:12 PM   #11
MrAdams
do a wheelie!!!
Mexico
Rep

Garage List
thanks brothers

05-12-2015, 11:15 PM   #12
MrAdams
do a wheelie!!!
Mexico
Rep

Garage List
BTW I do Porsches ALL DAY that are just bumper jobs. I'm in LA and people have fender benders all day, they are not all this severe, this is why I did the write up.
      05-12-2015, 11:28 PM   #13
M3@Apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

It's a big deal when there's even just a dent on the frame isn't there? It needs to be fixed properly. Why's everyone calling this guy a scammer? Frame damage is frame damage....at least this is my understanding of it.

2008 M3 Sedan 6MT || Project Technik
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 11:39 PM   #14
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3@Apex View Post
It's a big deal when there's even just a dent on the frame isn't there? It needs to be fixed properly. Why's everyone calling this guy a scammer? Frame damage is frame damage....at least this is my understanding of it.
Yeah lol the M3 owners on here are to funny!

All people see is the "little dent" on the outer frame. What about the inner damage frame near the engine?

Anyways, phenomenal job. I hope I don't get into an accident, but if I ever do I will bring the job to you.
      05-12-2015, 11:48 PM   #15
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

Amazing job. Same as above, sure hope not to get in an accident. But if I do, I know where to go even if I have to tow it down.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 12:11 AM   #16
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 12:14 AM   #17
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

People are retarded and they would hate on anything these days. Phenomenal work and I really wish you were in NY. My M3 got hit on the driver rear bumper and it left something poking out from it (like a nipple). It's not too noticeable so I haven't bothered to fix it but if I were to fix it, I'd definitely want to bring it to this guy or someone as thorough. Great work and I really wish you were on the east coast.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 12:18 AM   #18
JesseInSb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Pics of your 2002 and it'll help business lol
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 12:45 AM   #19
webninja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Thanks for the detailed post OP. I'll keep you in mind for any bumper or other work that I might need.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 12:57 AM   #20
Epili
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 JZB E92 M3

Quote:
Need a hug or candy?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 05:26 AM   #21
SAM3
///M
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 '11

Wow man, wish everyone has a keen eye like you do. Props to the job done.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 07:22 AM   #22
YellowJacket 2000
Private
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black on Black E93

I ride motorcycles (sportbike to be clear). If there is a small dent on the frame, insurance companies want to replace the frame. Reason? It's because of the nature of the machine and todays technology. Consider the loading a frame undergoes during regular drive, not to mention aggressive driving. Flexion and torsion and stresses we never think about because structural engineers already have.
Years ago, car frames were made of steel beams and channels. Now, they're aluminum and carbon fiber in many new models. They are made to be lightweight and use as little material as necessary. The shapes of these members are a BIG part of the structural rigidity. Any compromise in this shape can drastically reduce the strength and, therefore, possibly fail under repeated use/loading.
Now, I am on this forum because I am looking to get an M3 in the near future. Do I want to buy a used one that has frame damage, no matter how minor? Do I want to take the chance that a little "ding" will hold during cornering in the mountains or swerving to miss the idiots that have drivers licenses in my area...no, I sure don't.
I'm as jaded with insurance companies as anyone. But in this case, this is the proper way to repair a "minor" bit of frame damage.
Kudos to the repair shop for being well trained and have the presence of mind to ensure the safety of the occupants.

There are my $0.02. Take it for what its worth.
Appreciate 0