BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

05-11-2015, 11:56 AM   #1
Werkz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

2012 E92 M3 w/ 9,500mi - Price Check

Hey Everyone,

I've been trying to decide between ordering a 2016 M235I or picking up a nice used E92 M3. I've found at least one decent non-CPO example locally but I wasn't sure how far off the asking price was.

Dealer is asking $51.5k, figured I could easily get them down to $50k (or below) but was curious what you guys think.

2012 BMW M3 (E92) w/ 9,500mi
1-Owner, Well Maintained
Jet Black
Black Leather Interior
Manual Transmission
ZPP - Premium
ZCP - Competition
Premium Sound
Carbon Fiber Roof (non-sunroof)
BMW Apps + iPod Cable-thing (which I won't be using)
Oil, Filters, Battery, Wipers replace and the vehicle was recently inspected by BMW... not CPO.

There is 13 months left in the warranty. As a second owner, purchasing from a non-BMW dealership, what are my options as far as extended warranty?

Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by Werkz; 05-11-2015 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 12:28 PM   #2
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Is the car still under its original new car 4yr/50K warranty? If so, I believe you are eligible to upgrade the factory warranty in regard to both maintenance and the warranty side. This will be expensive especially if you go with both options. Why is this car not-CPO?

I'd recommend asking your SA precisely how much this would cost, as it is based on the mileage of your car, and how the particular dealer prices the warranty. Also, you may be able to negotiate this into the deal when you are purchasing the car.

Additionally, if you are dead set on going with the extended BMW warranty and maintenance route, I would compare the quote you get from your SA to a quote from forum member GOLFRRR (who also works for a BMW dealer and provides discounts to forum members - nice guy too). You can buy the extended warranty/maintenance from any BMW dealer in NA.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #3
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werkz View Post
Thanks for the outstanding reply but to be clear this is a non-CPO car, as it's being sold through an Infiniti dealership locally.

The car is under the factory warranty, that being the case are my options the same?
Yes sorry, I changed my post after you quoted me.

My understanding is that any car under the original 4yr/50k new car warranty is eligible to upgrade to extended maintenance and warranty. The pricing is dependent on the age of the car, and what level of protection you go with (I believe there are lines such as "platinum" and "silver", etc) and if you add extended maintenance or not.

So, talking to the dealer to confirm this would be prudent, and then if they do quote you a price I'd compare that to multiple dealers nation-wide because it is going to be a sizable expense. And again, have forum member GLFRRR get you a quote as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 12:44 PM   #4
Werkz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
Yes sorry, I changed my post after you quoted me.

My understanding is that any car under the original 4yr/50k new car warranty is eligible to upgrade to extended maintenance and warranty. The pricing is dependent on the age of the car, and what level of protection you go with (I believe there are lines such as "platinum" and "silver", etc) and if you add extended maintenance or not.

So, talking to the dealer to confirm this would be prudent, and then if they do quote you a price I'd compare that to multiple dealers nation-wide because it is going to be a sizable expense. And again, have forum member GLFRRR get you a quote as well.
Excellent! Sorry I deleted my reply, I was going to respond to your updated response.

Since you've been so helpful regarding my warranty questions, would you like to chime in about the asking price? haha I hadn't really intended picking up a ultra-low mile e92 but if I can get a good deal and I like the car, I sure wouldn't mind. Within 13 months I could get together the scratch for the extended warranty and enjoy worry-free ownership for 3-4 years.

Flip side is I could wait for a 2012/2013 CPO with 25-35k/mi and probably end up paying close to this anyway... with shorter warranty period.

Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werkz View Post
Excellent! Sorry I deleted my reply, I was going to respond to your updated response.

Since you've been so helpful regarding my warranty questions, would you like to chime in about the asking price? haha I hadn't really intended picking up a ultra-low mile e92 but if I can get a good deal and I like the car, I sure wouldn't mind. Within 13 months I could get together the scratch for the extended warranty and enjoy worry-free ownership for 3-4 years.

Flip side is I could wait for a 2012/2013 CPO with 25-35k/mi and probably end up paying close to this anyway... with shorter warranty period.

Thanks for your input!
So these are just my thoughts on pricing, and I'm sure others will disagree. My feeling is that you are right. You will be able to find a 2013 E92 in great condition, with a substantial amount of its warranty and maintenance left (assuming it has low miles). This hypothetical car would also be CPO and cost less than or right around $51k.

Also, what's your preference on color and packages? I feel that this is a big expense and a special car, and thus you should be getting exactly what you want. The hard part is patience.

I'm curious, do you know why the car you originally posted is not CPO? It's a 12' with such LOW miles. What's going on there? Is it being sold by BMW dealer?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #6
Werkz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
So these are just my thoughts on pricing, and I'm sure others will disagree. My feeling is that you are right. You will be able to find a 2013 E92 in great condition, with a substantial amount of its warranty and maintenance left (assuming it has low miles). This hypothetical car would also be CPO and cost less than or right around $51k.

Also, what's your preference on color and packages? I feel that this is a big expense and a special car, and thus you should be getting exactly what you want. The hard part is patience.

I'm curious, do you know why the car you originally posted is not CPO? It's a 12' with such LOW miles. What's going on there? Is it being sold by BMW dealer?
Haha, you nailed it above. The packaging is perfect, the color is sub-optimal but I'm still considering it. I'd prefer red but based on my research that's going to be a difficult find. White looks great but I'm not so sure I'd like a white E92. Have yet to see the car in person, just preparing myself for the test drive and potential dealer negotiations.

Another thing that's important to me is resale value, I tend to sell my cars every 2-3 years. On the fence whether a low-mile e92 is a good or bad thing. lol

To answer your question, the only reason I say it's not a CPO is because it was traded in after Jan 1st, 2014 to an Infiniti dealership, so it would lose CPO.

Low miles I believe is because it was owned in a fairly small town. Carfax shows regular maintenance trips to the dealer every 2.5-3k miles for oil, filter, detail, etc. Doesn't seem to have been stored, consistent 3k miles a year based on Carfax history.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #7
MSPORTWORLD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 MW/FR - '12 M3 FO/SC

Garage List
Looks like a winner! You could always wrap it in red.
Appreciate 0