Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

04-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #1
emfo
Rep
Drives: TT

Cool Best temporary paint protection for ED

For those of you that wanted some protection for all that driving in europe, what type of temporary protection did you use for your front bumper?

Searching I've found the following, any comments? Any issues with residue?

http://www.ezshieldpaintprotector.co...ector-p24.html

http://www.trakktape.com/products.html

XPEL
http://store.tracwrap.com/
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 05:26 PM   #2
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Why don't you just get Xpel Ultimate installed on your car while you are here in Europe. You obviously want paint protection and will most likely get Ultimate (or an equivalent) back in the states, so why pay twice. The warranty is worldwide. Granted you might find a cheaper install back stateside (depending on where you live)

Here is the link for Xpel dealers worldwide http://locator.xpel.com

Here is the pricing over here
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW M3-2015 Xpel.pdf (516.4 KB, 116 views)

Appreciate 2
      04-24-2015, 05:40 PM   #3
emfo
Rep

Thanks for the info! I don't intend to get a permanent clear bra, actually, so that's why I'm looking into temporary solutions.

10-year warranty = any damage to the XPEL and they will give you more film, but you need to pay to have it installed again right?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
EJL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurospeed View Post
Thanks for the info! I don't intend to get a permanent clear bra, actually, so that's why I'm looking into temporary solutions.

10-year warranty = any damage to the XPEL and they will give you more film, but you need to pay to have it installed again right?
I believe XPEL's warranty covers labor too.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 06:02 PM   #5
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurospeed View Post

Temp looks so getto, think of all those pictures in front of awesome European landmarks like Neuschwanstein with a piece of peeling plastic on your nose

Just my 2 cents

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 11:44 PM   #6
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRPOWER View Post
Why don't you just get Xpel Ultimate installed on your car while you are here in Europe. You obviously want paint protection and will most likely get Ultimate (or an equivalent) back in the states, so why pay twice. The warranty is worldwide. Granted you might find a cheaper install back stateside (depending on where you live)

Good thought but not allowed for ED vehicles returning to North America. Same goes for any other add-ons that one might be tempted to get while in Europe.

Last edited by Mark's M; 04-25-2015 at 01:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2015, 12:51 AM   #7
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
I

Good thought but not allowed for ED vehicles returning to North America. Same goes for any other add-ons that one might be tempted to get while in Europe.
eurospeed

Mark's M is right, if it didn't come from the factory it won't be cleared. I tried to get my car tinted, coated, bra'd for cheap while in Prague.

You could painters tape it, or what about that 3m spray bra? You could spray it on, then peal it off.

However, keep in mind any damage to the car is normally fixed by BMW once it gets off the boat, before it's shipped to your dealership. An truth be told do better work than the dealerships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi3hJYmtKR4[/u2b]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRvL1aqG9JI

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 04-25-2015 at 01:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 04:28 AM   #8
psuwcc112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 coupe

I wouldn't suggest 3M spray clear bra (AKA 3M defender spray). I have tried it in the past, it is not very easy spray on evenly and a huge pain in the ass trying to get it off. I think last thing you want during ED is try to take off the clear bra at the end of the trip.. For my ED, i used trakktape. They works fine and much stealthier compare to blue tape. And very easy to take off at the end of the trip.

I know many have said that rock chips will cover by insurance, but truth is the rock chips are considered normal tear and wear. I believe BMW insurance has stopped covering rock chips. Lucky my trakktape did its job during the trip, but granted German road condition compare to US is like night and day. Also my CA specifically said rock chip will not be covered before i took the trip. I don't think VPC fix them, perhaps will fix by dealer based on their own discretion..

2015 F82 YMB M4 (Feb 28th ED, re-deliveried on Apr 18th) |My 2015 YMB M4 ED Journal
2008 E92 SSII M3 Coupe (Sold) | My long gone 2008 E92 SSII M3
2002 E39 SG 530i (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 04:50 AM   #9
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
As I live in Europe and get a ED for all my cars , I never really thought if it was allowed or not. From a BMW perspective, i guess it makes sense.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 07:07 AM   #10
EJL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
As I live in Europe and get a ED for all my cars , I never really thought if it was allowed or not. From a BMW perspective, i guess it makes sense.
I think its a customs thing. They even make you take out your triangle and first aid kit, as they aren't US Spec.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 10:02 AM   #11
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Odd because I have shipped many cars back and forth and it is more restrictive going back to the states, I never had to take out the safety equipment. Coming over here, you can stick your vacuum cleaner in the trunk and no one cares

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #12
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely and for you guys who live there, not fair...you can do anything you want!!! So many neat things over there, almost like toy land for cars lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJL View Post
I think its a customs thing. They even make you take out your triangle and first aid kit, as they aren't US Spec.
And heaven forbid you forget to take out your France-required safety vest. Throws 'em right off lol.
      04-25-2015, 10:10 AM   #13
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I purchased the ezshield tape and will be applying it next week when I get my car. I will post pictures when I get back. The tape is clear, and hoping it will look decent enough. I really don't want to get any chips on the new car before I get it home
      04-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #14
guarnibl
Major
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///bproden View Post
I purchased the ezshield tape and will be applying it next week when I get my car. I will post pictures when I get back. The tape is clear, and hoping it will look decent enough. I really don't want to get any chips on the new car before I get it home
Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I'm in the same boat. More worried about Switzerland than Germany re: rock chips. I just don't want to re-spray. I honestly could care less if BMW/dealer will fix the chips after... seems to be a 50/50 shot and completely up to the dealer.
      04-25-2015, 07:14 PM   #15
emfo
Rep

Quote:
Yes, look forward to seeing this!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 07:26 PM   #16
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

If it helps those who are thinking the worse, I did about 2000km's during my 2010 ED with a full Individual M3 that put me into panic mode at the thought of stone chips. I had no protective anything on the car. When I turned it in after my 2 week tour, the people at the shipping company commented that they'd never seen such a clean car, couldn't believe it had been on the road for that long. I give credit to road maintenance over there, conditions were immaculate everywhere I went (Germany, Italy, France) and my worrying was for naught. Not one single stonechip anywhere on the car.

So I'm headed back again in June and this time picking up a frozen painted M3. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that I have the same luck as I did in 2010 and at most I'll be doing a quick wax before we head out for our week long road trip.
      05-11-2015, 09:18 PM   #17
emfo
Rep

Quote:
How was it?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 10:55 PM   #18
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I ended up not really using the EZ tape. I started to and it was going to take a lot longer than I had time for. I started to apply a foot long strip but without using water it was going to look pretty noticeable. I decided to risk it and applied a good layer of sealant and wax over the front bumper.

I drove 460 miles and a majority of that was on the autobahn. I got quite a few bugs, but not 1 rock chip. And that was even hitting speeds of 100-135. The roads are really that good over there.

The tape can be done, but it will take a decent amount of time to get done right. If I was taking it to a track id for sure use it, but I also wanted to get pics of the car without having something completely stand out.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2015, 11:01 PM   #19
emfo
Rep

Thanks for the followup! I was on the fence as well. I guess I won't be using tape.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 08:12 AM   #20
Deja_Vu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:

Christ that's expensive. I really want my car protected for ED but that's just ridiculous. I got a guy over here to completely wrap my Lexus all the while hiding the seams/edges for a little over $2500.

Any chance BMW would give me a loaner? I honestly don't care that much about the car I'm driving over there.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #21
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja_Vu View Post
Christ that's expensive. I really want my car protected for ED but that's just ridiculous. I got a guy over here to completely wrap my Lexus all the while hiding the seams/edges for a little over $2500.

Any chance BMW would give me a loaner? I honestly don't care that much about the car I'm driving over there.
People have left the car at the Welt and for a fee they take it to the port. They then use Sixt (or similar) to get a rental for the remainder of their stay.

Bmw won't give you a rental free of charge. Using Sixt sounds like your best bet.

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #22
Deja_Vu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post
People have left the car at the Welt and for a fee they take it to the port. They then use Sixt (or similar) to get a rental for the remainder of their stay.

Bmw won't give you a rental free of charge. Using Sixt sounds like your best bet.
Thanks, I'll likely end up doing that. I know the wife will roll her eyes at doing a ED but not driving the car around...but she wouldn't be surprised. I didn't drive my Lexus around until it was covered and that was my first new car in 11 years.
Appreciate 0