BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-17-2015, 07:36 AM   #1
makrop
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6MT MGM/CR

Steering Wheel re-cover vs BMW Performance Wheel

I am trying to decide which route to go and would love everyone's input/suggestions or pictures/reviews/personal experiences if you got em! My stock m-sport wheel is peeling like crazy. And I'm not talking about the cover/faceplate. All the backside of the wheel leather is flaking away and crumbling. So I'm looking at Coby wheel (www.cobywheel.com) to do a re-cover in alcantara. They will give you a big discount when you send your stock wheel back for a core exchange and also have the shift boot/ebrake/you name it. If I go this route, I can choose whatever color stitching I want, which presents a whole new decision lol. I'm toying with the idea of a red & light grey stitching to go with my interior (coral red w/ silver cube trim) vs the m-color stitching.

Or I can spend a few extra bucks and get the BMW Performance Wheel and try to sell my wheel to help offset cost. What do you guys think? Anyone have the performance wheel or used Coby wheel?
03' E46 330ci | 5MT | JB/B (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 08:08 AM   #2
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
i have the blue stripe alcantara M steering wheel and it is amazing. LOVE it. it requires regular maintenance but totally changes the driving experience, IMO.

Appreciate 1
      04-17-2015, 08:12 AM   #3
makrop
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It does look good. I think I decided against getting the center stripe. I'm so OCD that if it was off at all, it would drive me nuts. And obviously the m-color stitching looks great. Just wondering if a red/white or red/grey would work better with my interior. I hate these small decisions that any normal person wouldn't think twice about lol. People will never understand...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 08:20 AM   #4
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krop135i View Post
It does look good. I think I decided against getting the center stripe. I'm so OCD that if it was off at all, it would drive me nuts. And obviously the m-color stitching looks great. Just wondering if a red/white or red/grey would work better with my interior. I hate these small decisions that any normal person wouldn't think twice about lol. People will never understand...
not sure. i don't really care that much about colour coordination....i like a bit of madness on my car so i can't really help you
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 08:54 AM   #5
inFamousKicks
Member.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

If you like the flat-bottom of the performance wheel, get that, even tho it's pretty costly. If you're just looking for the alcantara look, I think CobyWheel is the better bargain.

I don't think you'll get much for a peeling wheel if you sell it yourself.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 07:19 AM   #6
fs454
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M-Sport 6MT

I have awful leather peeling on my wheel too and have been looking for a solution for a while now. Unfortunately it looks like their core exchange program only accepts wheels in cosmetically good condition, and if there are cosmetic issues you must send your wheel in to be wrapped!

I wonder if there's a way around this, because I definitely can't take my wheel off and be without a car for 3 weeks.
      04-19-2015, 07:48 AM   #7
makrop
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fs454 View Post
I have awful leather peeling on my wheel too and have been looking for a solution for a while now. Unfortunately it looks like their core exchange program only accepts wheels in cosmetically good condition, and if there are cosmetic issues you must send your wheel in to be wrapped!

I wonder if there's a way around this, because I definitely can't take my wheel off and be without a car for 3 weeks.
Well I don't think it matters if the part they wrap is cosmetically damaged... that would defeat the purpose of being wrapped right? If you read their description of what constitutes being "damaged" it's all talking about air bag area and everything else.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 05:45 PM   #8
fs454
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Well I don't think it matters if the part they wrap is cosmetically damaged... that would defeat the purpose of being wrapped right? If you read their description of what constitutes being "damaged" it's all talking about air bag area and everything else.
Hmm. I'm writing them about this to make sure, but also how do we know what thickness we have?

A 2009 135i M-sport + Premium...do I have the thick wheel or the "regular" wheel?
      05-10-2015, 06:11 PM   #9
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Hmm. I'm writing them about this to make sure, but also how do we know what thickness we have?

A 2009 135i M-sport + Premium...do I have the thick wheel or the "regular" wheel?
You have the sport "thick" wheel.
      05-10-2015, 07:35 PM   #10
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Look on eBay as well using a part number. I purchased a new M sport wheel with tri color stitching (not a 1M wheel) for a few hundred. The regular M sport wheels go for a little less, and the performance wheel is pretty reasonable. For the price I would just buy a new wheel over having it re upholstered.

You can't go wrong with any of thee performance wheels though!

I made a DIY on retrofitting paddle shift to the 1 and 3 series autos (just search in the DIY section) it outlines how to remove the steering wheel. It's really easy to do. Also in regards to the steering wheel stripe being off, it's impossible to screw up (unless factory defect). The steering wheel will only go on one way, the teeth on the wheel have a notch that the steering column accepts. You physically can't install it incorrectly.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 10:10 AM   #11
makrop
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well I went the Coby Wheel route. It turned out fantastic. I chose for them to use red/silver stitching to match my interior and to have a little "custom" feel to it. As for the questions about what kind of damage they will accept, I sent my wheel back with the grip portions all completely peeling and flaking off and I have already received my core-exchange refund in full. As long as the hard black plastic center that houses the airbag isn't damaged, it shouldn't matter since they will be wrapping it anyways.

Also, while I was at it, I ordered the shift boot, ebrake boot and ebrake handle to complete the look. What do you guys think???

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 04:42 PM   #12
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
i have the blue stripe alcantara M steering wheel and it is amazing. LOVE it. it requires regular maintenance but totally changes the driving experience, IMO.

I have the same wheel on my 135i.

I like the flat bottom as it means getting in and out is a bit easier with my long legs, but, I was hoping that it was going to be the same thickness as the standard M3 wheel, which it isn't, it's the thinner size as per the standard 135i M-Sport wheel.

I've also found that I don't like the Alcantara, I prefer leather tbh.
      05-12-2015, 05:42 PM   #13
Hankdoll
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2/M3/4/5

Quote:
Well I went the Coby Wheel route. It turned out fantastic. I chose for them to use red/silver stitching to match my interior and to have a little "custom" feel to it. As for the questions about what kind of damage they will accept, I sent my wheel back with the grip portions all completely peeling and flaking off and I have already received my core-exchange refund in full. As long as the hard black plastic center that houses the airbag isn't damaged, it shouldn't matter since they will be wrapping it anyways.

Also, while I was at it, I ordered the shift boot, ebrake boot and ebrake handle to complete the look. What do you guys think???

Your wheel looks really good. Matching boots look good too. Looks like a quality job from the picture. I had my wheel rewrapped in alcantara about 6-7 years ago (for my e36). I paid through the nose and they did a mediocre job. Glad yours turned out okay.
      05-12-2015, 05:54 PM   #14
Southjersey128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Looks great man!!
Afe Scoops and CAI, PBX, BMS Paddleshift upgrade, 261M's Powder Coated Gunmetal, 225/255 Michelin PSS, (BMW Performance: BBK, Illuminated Door Sills, Shifter Knob and Boot, E-Brake Handle, Steering Wheel, Front Strut Bar), E93 FSB, E92 RSB, M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, M3 Front Control Arms, HPA coilover kit (Koni Adjustables and Swift Springs), Steel Brake Hoses, Black Kidneys, Smoked LED side markers, Blacklines, Msport lip spoiler...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #15
fs454
Private First Class
Rep

Gave them a call and they're down to take my wheel with cosmetic leather damage. The only stuff they won't take is if theres a change in the surface or shape / if there's actually like, a hole somewhere.

Ordered OEM gray, M color stitching and a red 12'oclock stripe to match the red leather...and also a shift boot. Pumped.
      05-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #16
makrop
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Gave them a call and they're down to take my wheel with cosmetic leather damage. The only stuff they won't take is if theres a change in the surface or shape / if there's actually like, a hole somewhere.

Ordered OEM gray, M color stitching and a red 12'oclock stripe to match the red leather...and also a shift boot. Pumped.
Nice! Be aware that with the shift boot you'll have to re-use the plastic mounting clip from your old boot. You'll have to remove the old boot from the clip by using a hair dryer to heat up the glue and peeling it all off. Then just glue it to your new one. It is easier than it sounds. The best glue is the Fabri-Tac glue mentioned in Coby's DIY files. It really works.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 09:23 PM   #17
fs454
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Nice! Be aware that with the shift boot you'll have to re-use the plastic mounting clip from your old boot. You'll have to remove the old boot from the clip by using a hair dryer to heat up the glue and peeling it all off. Then just glue it to your new one. It is easier than it sounds. The best glue is the Fabri-Tac glue mentioned in Coby's DIY files. It really works.
Ah, thanks! I missed that. I don't need to do anything to the top part though, right?

Right now I have the ZHP knob and the stock boot, and the solid bracket underneath the leather at the tip of the boot isn't the right shape for the zhp knob (it's sort of like a square like the OEM perforated knob bottom).
      05-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #18
makrop
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well I have the performance knob that I just slid on and snapped in. It doesn't connect to the boot at all. I used a zip tie (came with boot from Coby) to hold the boot up flush to the bottom of the knob. Works perfect. Only thing I would go back and change is maybe tuck a little more of the new boot in on itself at the top to get rid of some slack. New boot seems slightly bigger or taller I guess than the stock boot. Or maybe my new knob sits lower... who knows. I'm happy with it though.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 05:15 PM   #19
SD_E88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i E88 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by krop135i

Drooling!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 05:36 PM   #20
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
I have the same wheel on my 135i.

I like the flat bottom as it means getting in and out is a bit easier with my long legs, but, I was hoping that it was going to be the same thickness as the standard M3 wheel, which it isn't, it's the thinner size as per the standard 135i M-Sport wheel.

I've also found that I don't like the Alcantara, I prefer leather tbh.
That's interesting. I never knew that.

I have the e9x M3 leather (tri-stitched)wheel on my 135i... and I LOVE IT! Its so thick and chunky. Only negative thing was when I firs got it the leather was kind of "hard". I used some leather conditioner on the wheel and it totally became smooth and soft to the touch. I am in LOVE with this wheel.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 07:31 AM   #21
SD_E88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i E88 Black

Might I ask what you paid for all the parts re-done in Alcantara?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 04:58 AM   #22
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_F30
Might I ask what you paid for all the parts re-done in Alcantara?
Works out to a few hundred.

Would note that Colby doesn't recover, they simply wrap the existing wheel. It adds about 5mm of thickness and creates odd seams. I ordered one for my 1M, haven't installed it yet as I'm on the fence (would have preferred a full rewrap- check EBay for examples). Would have preferred a full rewrap.

[img]http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/...pstyuln2ac.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/...psvasxfxn0.jpg[/img]
Appreciate 0