proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #1
Gac101177
M4-SAHD
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
First Track Event this weekend ANY Tips.

I'm taking the M4 to Roebling road this weekend it will be my first time at the track, cant wait. for those members with track experience anything i should know, will i need new tires and brakes after the event? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #2
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

I would install track or higher performance street pads and rebleed with motul 600 or castrol crf before you show up at the track.

Make sure fluids are topped off.

A good quality tire pressure gauge.

Empty out your car.. of everything. Even floor mats.

Purchase track event insurance. (Google: Lockton Motorsports insurance)

Hopefully, you have a good instructor. Have an open mind and receptive to suggestions. Leave your ego at home. You will get passed...by better drivers in miatas and E30s.

Consumables (pads, rotors, tires) will depend on pre-track condition, and how hard you are on them. A simple inspection for wear should suffice afterwards. I am anal about it, but I would change engine oil after a hard track weekend.

Last edited by chillindrdude; 04-16-2015 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 5
      04-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #3
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

Check your tire pressure after every session. You may find yourself taking air out of your tires a lot. Be sure to fill them back up to spec for the drive home.
Top off your fuel after every session. In my Evo I would average 6-7 mpg and after 20 minutes would be at less than half tank. M3/M4 is certainly more fuel efficient.
Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated.
Spot check your brake pads after each session too.
Look ahead at where you want to be, not where you are.
Don't focus on the car directly in front of you or follow their line.
Above all else, listen to your instructor very carefully. If this is your first event you will learn a lot!
Be sure to attend all the classroom sessions and drivers meetings every morning. This is very important.
Don't feel bad if you have to give point bys a lot.

As mentioned above, clear everything out of your car and trunk. Remove any items from the storage compartment in the trunk, glove box, door pockets, etc. Make sure there aren't hidden bottles of water or drinks under your seat.

That is all I can think of for now

Roebling road was actually where I attended my very first track event back in 2006. Really fun track.
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015

Last edited by golovko; 04-16-2015 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2015, 11:21 AM   #4
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

tires will be ruined if you give good numbers of hot laps.

you make me remember the first time I test drove M4 at a local track, I brake to late, not having to adapt with the speed, put it to a gravel...
so much lesson learned.
      04-16-2015, 11:23 AM   #5
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
I would install track or higher performance street pads and rebleed with motul 600 or castrol crf before you show up at the track.

Make sure fluids are topped off.

A good quality tire pressure gauge.

Empty out your car.. of everything. Even floor mats.

Purchase track event insurance. (Google: Lockton Motorsports insurance)

Hopefully, you have a good instructor. Have an open mind and receptive to suggestions. Leave your ego at home. You will get passed...by better drivers in miatas and E30s.

Consumables (pads, rotors, tires) will depend on pre-track condition, and how hard you are on them. A simple inspection for wear should suffice afterwards. I am anal about it, but I would change engine oil after a hard track weekend.
Great list. Also bring a torque wrench for lugs!

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2015, 11:40 AM   #6
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down

Oh and don't do this:

Or this:

Very similar results of putting two off...
Appreciate 2
      04-16-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Don't worry about speed. Concentrate on the line, braking points, where to look, etc. Be smooth and don't do anything abruptly that will upset the car.
Consistent laps are better than a few random fast laps.

Once those are mastered the speed will come.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #8
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Beginner, first time on the track? Then you shouldn't need tires or brakes unless yours are already worn. Maybe after, but I doubt it.

Pre-track safety check should include brake and other fluids, pad thickness.

Empty car of EVERYTHING loose.

Take a good torque wrench with extension and socket.
Take a good quality air pressure (tire) gauge
Take sun protection, drinking water, snacks
If you plan to track more, take a note book. Make track notes, they will help in the future.

At the track you will find a paddock parking spot, and you can leave your cooler, misc stuff laying there. Most track events are pretty solid, but I'd put the tools out of sight just in case.

Most important is leave your ego behind and LISTEN to your instructors. Learn and have fun; it is a blast!

Some people like to put painters tape over exposed areas and glass (lights) because of the junk that gets kicked up. I never did, but you will see that. If you are into your paint finish, it is a good idea to tape up a bit. But don't be a dork about it.
Appreciate 2
      04-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #9
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Another tip: The hardest thing for me was learning a new track. Try google maps or the track web site, and memorize the turn sequences. Watch some videos on youtube of the track from cars or motorcycles and learn the track (elevation changes, corners, etc). The more you are familiar going in, the easier it will be to learn driving technique.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #10
Gac101177
M4-SAHD
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Thank you guys for the tips, very excited about doing my first track event.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 12:01 PM   #11
Gac101177
M4-SAHD
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs
Beginner, first time on the track? Then you shouldn't need tires or brakes unless yours are already worn. Maybe after, but I doubt it.

Pre-track safety check should include brake and other fluids, pad thickness.

Empty car of EVERYTHING loose.

Take a good torque wrench with extension and socket.
Take a good quality air pressure (tire) gauge
Take sun protection, drinking water, snacks
If you plan to track more, take a note book. Make track notes, they will help in the future.

At the track you will find a paddock parking spot, and you can leave your cooler, misc stuff laying there. Most track events are pretty solid, but I'd put the tools out of sight just in case.

Most important is leave your ego behind and LISTEN to your instructors. Learn and have fun; it is a blast!

Some people like to put painters tape over exposed areas and glass (lights) because of the junk that gets kicked up. I never did, but you will see that. If you are into your paint finish, it is a good idea to tape up a bit. But don't be a dork about it.
Thanks no tape for me I'll call them scars from the track. My instructor its a good friend and experience driver with the PCA club I'm sure he has everything cover he told me just bring the car and he will take care of the rest.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #12
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Keep it stock and go for it. Have fun. That's a lot of car for your first time but that doesn't need to be an issue.

Personally, I think you should watch some vids or play a video game that has this track to learn the layout and the areas with little run off that you need to watch out for.

You should post on the track specific forum too
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #13
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
For a first time driver at the track I would suggest this....
  1. Listen to your instructor
  2. Listen to your instructor
  3. Listen to your instructor

Next, when on the track, as said above, focus on being smooth. Slow = smooth. Smooth = consistent. Once you are consistent you can add more speed.

The biggest problem I see with new drivers on the track is that horsepower covers up so many mistakes that it is difficult for a new student to know what they are doing wrong.

With a 400+ hp car, if you miss the apex, you can just get on the power and try to adjust. If you were in a low horsepower car you would notice the mistake much easier because you wouldn't be able to carry as much speed.

So, be aware of that as well.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #14
TeKiZeRo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M3, '13 GT-R, '14 MP4-12C

Besides checking on the technical aspects, make sure you check yourself as well. Leave your ego at the gate when you enter the track. Just because you may have one of the newest and fastest cars out there, does not mean you can go balls out and try to lap everyone. Take it easy, learn the car's limit and your own limits. Lastly, have fun .
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2015, 12:52 PM   #15
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
+1 to TeKiZeRo's comment.

You won't need new tires or brake pads after your first event. Your car is track ready from day 1

When you've developed a true feel for the car and your driving style is improved, then it'll be a good time to tweak things as needed. The tire shoulders will have that nice track wear though.

Go to the track section for any related advice. Other than the advice already given in the thread, you'll put yourself at an advantage by finding a youtube video of a professional driving the track and understanding their lines. That way you'll be prepared to digest any details from your classroom sessions (if you're getting these as well).

Otherwise, just get a feel for the car with high performance driving, soak in the sounds, and don't forget to pay attention to your instructor and flag stations!

Last edited by Doctor///M; 04-16-2015 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2015, 12:54 PM   #16
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
The biggest problem I see with new drivers on the track is that horsepower covers up so many mistakes that it is difficult for a new student to know what they are doing wrong.

With a 400+ hp car, if you miss the apex, you can just get on the power and try to adjust. If you were in a low horsepower car you would notice the mistake much easier because you wouldn't be able to carry as much speed.

So, be aware of that as well.
hence why, after i went to a couple HPDE days in my S4, and was sure I was going to continue with this "wallet draining" hobby, i got this...

have fun OP! report back with pics!
      04-16-2015, 01:23 PM   #17
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

All good advice thus far.

My biggest piece of advice for a budding track addict is to leave any trace of ego and testosterone at home.

Ignore how fast you are. Ignore the bragging. Focus on the fundamentals that your instructor is teaching you and drive within your ability. The other stuff (speed) will come in time.

Also, you should raise the limit on your credit card now because you will become addicted to this and it's a money pit
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 2
      04-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #18
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
All good advice thus far.

My biggest piece of advice for a budding track addict is to leave any trace of ego and testosterone at home.

Ignore how fast you are. Ignore the bragging. Focus on the fundamentals that your instructor is teaching you and drive within your ability. The other stuff (speed) will come in time.

Also, you should raise the limit on your credit card now because you will become addicted to this and it's a money pit
Great advice from one of this forums best posters.
      04-16-2015, 01:45 PM   #19
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

Your car has DCT, but nonetheless I would recommend following the same advice as sometimes given to 6MT novices, which is to change gears as little as possible as you learn the track and experience driving your car under much higher cornering and braking loads than those familiar from street use.

At moderate speeds this is quite easy to do given the long powerful rev range of the M3 and it helpfully eliminates one more variable as you go up the steep learning curve!

Finally, unless they changed the pad compound going from E9x to F8x (or unless you forked out for the ceramic brakes!), you will probably get deposits on your front rotors from the OEM pads, which leads to noticeable shudder when you apply the brakes. This will wear off over the next couple of hundred miles of driving, but avoiding that annoying deposit on the rotors is one of the main reasons to get higher performance brake pads even as a novice.

Have fun..
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2015, 01:50 PM   #20
e36
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

This may sound like a stupid question but here goes...

Most of use have purchased our cars new. BMW gives free maintenance. If we completely obliterate the brakes and rotors at the track, will the dealer replace them (assuming they don't know about the track events)?
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #21
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Keep your eyes up, turn your head to see where you want to go, and learn how to brake. By that, I mean learn your braking points, and stomp that pedal hard. And most of all, have fun. Just remember that everyone out there started from where you are too.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2015, 01:53 PM   #22
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gac101177 View Post
I'm taking the M4 to Roebling road this weekend it will be my first time at the track, cant wait. for those members with track experience anything i should know, will i need new tires and brakes after the event? Thanks.
Tested on your track.