R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

04-15-2015, 12:02 PM   #1
bwu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

SiriusXM Muffled Sound?

Anyone experiencing this? Just got my car few weeks ago and started noticing how SiriusXM sounds off compared to my friends prius that also has siriusxm. Sound quality is significantly worse and sounds muffled. I can't tell if it's because of faulty hk speakers or something else. SiriusXM sound quality seems perfectly fine in the prius but just sounds completely off in the M4.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

mine seems normal on par with any other. Have you checked your settings sound settings?

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 12:20 PM   #3
bwu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

yea i kept adjusting my sound settings but couldn't get rid of that particular sound. its worse when i listen to stations like bloomberg. It's been bugging me for more than a week now =(
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
Woodengun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yugo

Have you tried talking to the BMW genius at your dealer?

Since it happens only with Sirius (well at least that is what I infer from your post), then it isn't the speaker(s).
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
PJD_F80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X5D, '15 M3 TanzBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwu View Post
Anyone experiencing this? Just got my car few weeks ago and started noticing how SiriusXM sounds off compared to my friends prius that also has siriusxm. Sound quality is significantly worse and sounds muffled. I can't tell if it's because of faulty hk speakers or something else. SiriusXM sound quality seems perfectly fine in the prius but just sounds completely off in the M4.
You know what, mine sounds weird, almost like an echo or in a tin can, but I hate it. Whenver I go from Streaming and try out a Sat Radio Station it sounds pretty bad, not to mention the music stations are not so great either. Not impressed at all, hardly listen to it except for Bloomberg and some Sports Updates.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 02:10 PM   #6
Brady1984
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Sirius audio quality is crap. It's made worse with a decent sound system that you can actually hear the compressed audio-poo they are injecting to your ears from space. If you want to hear Sirius in "better quality" stream it to your phone from their app, then stream it via bluetooth to your car.
      04-21-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
tkhan456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 (MW/Black/Black 19")

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwu
It's just Sirius. They run at a crappier quality than anything. Worse than CD and HD radio. Didn't realize that until I got it either.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Just had mine coded in and it sounds fine. Not muffled at all. Have had it for years so am used to the slightly down sampled bit rates, but actually sounds better in the BMW than my other car. When streaming from the internet over the phone the bit rate is better so sounds less "digital". Honestly the car is so noisy that I don't really notice the difference in sound quality over a regular CD while driving...but isn't muffled in my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 02:17 PM   #9
Hawaii i8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i8 coupe

Garage List
Ah, one of the rewards of living in Hawaii.. No satellite radio because there are no satellites
      04-24-2015, 03:19 PM   #10
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIslandM4 View Post
Ah, one of the rewards of living in Hawaii.. No satellite radio because there are no satellites
Well they say we are happier when faced with fewer choices, and I have to second that!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 04:00 PM   #11
mnesia
BMW CCA # 418298
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Coupe

Garage List
Sirius music broadcasts generally sound very flat and almost like AM radio - the selling point is programming options & the hope is that everyone allows that feature to trump quality. I don't plan to renew the subscription after the 12 months.
Appreciate 0